“Excellent London Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Chesterfield Mayfair

Save Saved
You added The Chesterfield Mayfair to your Saves list
The Chesterfield Mayfair
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Charles Street | Mayfair, London W1J 5EB, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Offer
Free Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Excellent London Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The Chesterfield is tucked away in a quiet Mayfair street, but still within easy reach of the West End.
It offers a excellent friendly service with a touch of luxury. It has everything you could want for a business or leisure break in London. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
oraggett, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review from your stay with us.

We take great pride in our great team and friendly service. It is always good to receive such positive feedback from our guests and I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all our staff members.

Oliver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Greek first
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband has stayed at the Chesterfield on several occasions mainly for business reasons and I was delighted to join him on one of these. The rooms are comfortable, beautifully appointed but the reason we shall return time and time again is that the attention to detail is unsurpassed. The food and especially the wine (Galpin Peak Pinot Noir - do try it) is superb. Location is excellent and the service we have had from all the staff has been exceptional, in particular one gentleman at the Front Desk (Chris Campbell) went out of his way to ensure that our stay was enjoyable. I have no hesitation in recommending the Chesterfield.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback from your stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

I am delighted you were able to join your husband and experience our hospitality for yourself. We pride ourselves on our great team and attention to detail. It is always good to receive such positive feedback from our guests and I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all our staff members, especially Chris Campbell.

New Milton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Went to Butlers restaurant for lunch had an fantastic meal, Scollop the biggest i've ever seen, juicy crab cakes really tastey very good pairing of wines out standing service. a very well kept secret in the middle o Mayfair

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a lovely review from your visit with us for lunch.

We pride ourselves on our great team and friendly service. Our Executive Chef will be delighted to hear your kind remarks on the quality of the selection at Butlers restaurant. It is always good to receive such positive feedback from our guests and I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all our staff members.

ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My sister and I stayed at the Chesterfield for 5 nights in August 2012 and our stay was spectacular! It was my sister's first time to Europe, so I wanted our stay in London to be special. I spent many hours looking for a perfect hotel, on TA and in guidebooks. And we found it!
I've been to London a few times before and really enjoyed my stays at some lovely hotels: the Dorchester in 2008, the JW Marriott Grosvenor House this past spring 2012. But the Chesterfield Mayfair has them all beat! The hotel has a great location: in elegant Mayfair on a charming and quiet block. The hotel is fairly close to the Green Park tube station and a few bus stops. (a bit far if you are elderly or disabled though) A few minutes walk away takes you to Hyde Park or Green Park for a lovely walk. Shepherd's Market (lots of restaurants) is two blocks away.
We arrived at 10 AM after an overnight flight from the US and our room wasn't ready. Checkin and the welcome was lovely. They stored our luggage and gave us some brochures and a map. Service during our stay was very friendly. When we arrived back later in the day our room was ready and the luggage was already dropped off. We had a Mayfair Weekend Package and received complimentary champagne upon arrival, breakfast during our stay, and an afternoon tea for the two of us.
We decided to have our tea on our day of arrival. It was great! Four years ago I had tea with my family at the Dorchester and found it to be lovely surroundings, but too snobby. This was just right. Service was wonderful. We both opted for hot cocoa since we don't drink tea (embarrassing!) and received a 3-tier tray with 4/5 choices of sandwiches, scones and clotted cream/preserves and 6 pastries. We were offered seconds and told we could take the rest home if we wanted. The setting was beautiful too.
The breakfast was also great. There was a lovely continental breakfast spread - pastries, breads, rolls, fruit, yogurts, etc. And then you were offered a choice of a freshly-made-to-order hot item. My omelettes were delicious!
Our room was lovely. We requested two twin beds and received our request. It was a little small, compared to hotels in the US, but we were aware of that ahead of time. Room was clean, beautifully decorated, and quiet. The room had plenty of dresser/drawer space and two closets. There was a turn-down service at night, and a little treat was given each day - a candy, cookie, biscuit, etc. The bathroom was black and white carrera marble, hotel gave lovely toiletries too. Bathtub was a little difficult to get out of though. The lobby, restaurant, library and bar were all beautifully decorated. But the service was the best. They were all friendly and personable, not snotty like at some of the other hotels.
I've now stayed at some great places in London - the ones I listed above plus The Lime Tree Inn (Belgravia) and The Hilton Paddington and enjoyed all of them. However, my favorite is definitely The Chesterfield Mayfair. This is the one I would return to on my next trip! Bravo to the staff! I hope to be back again soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a brilliant review from your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled that your experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel was charming and friendly, and you found everything you needed for your time in London. What a wonderful start to your holiday to have Afternoon Tea and I am pleased that you enjoyed our Chocolate Lovers Tea as a delicious alternative to the traditional.

Our Food and Beverage Manager will be delighted to hear your kind notes on the service and quality you found when dining here. Our Housekeeping Manager will also appreciate the lovely remarks you make on the details in your room. It is always good to receive such positive feedback from our guests and I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all our staff members.

Thank you for your great description of our surrounding areas and highlighting what a brilliant location we have, I am sure your fellow travellers will appreciate your feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back again to The Chesterfield Mayfair in the near future.

North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Great value, location, and staff. Just stayed at the Chesterfield for the third time. It is now my only hotel in London. The rooms are quiet and spacious for London, with a feeling of luxury. The pub and restaurant super. Breakfast is worth getting up for.The staff is very welcoming and very helpful. The location is excellent as the tube, the bus and the sights are an easy walk. Shepherds market,with a great choice of restaurants and a pub is just a block away.I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
oraggett, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to read that your experience at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel was relaxing and luxurious and you find everything you need for your time in London. It is always good to receive such positive feedback from our guests and I will be sure to pass your lovely comments on to all our staff members, especially the Food and Beverage Manager and our Executive Chef.

Thank you for your great description of our surrounding areas and highlighting what a great location we have, I am sure your fellow travellers will appreciate your feedback.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The hotel was disappointing to say the least. The one great benefit of it is that it is located close to Green Park and is in the City Centre.
Upon arriving at the hotel, I noticed a very strange smell of chemicals in the room which could not be lessened by opening the window. I reported it twice to the reception and even though the hotel manager did come down and promise to fix it, it was never done. Upon asking the maid if it was due to chemicals we got the cheerful reply that it was none of her business before she walked out the door.
Breakfast was absolutely repulsive, although afternoon tea was quite nice.
In general, I was very disappointed with the hotel and the unhelpful staff; I will never advise it to anyone and would rather get beaten by a stick than go there again - a true waste of money.

Room Tip: If they EVER offer you room 303 you run for it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
oraggett, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting a review and sharing your experience following your recent stay at The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

We pride ourselves on our great location and our passionate and dedicated team; as you can see from our previous Tripadvisor reviews, our visitors are delighted with the wonderful atmosphere and appreciate our attention to detail as well as the service we provide.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during your visit and that we did not meet your expectations at this time. Please rest assured that this is not a common occurrence and I have personally addressed these issues and your comments with the relevant managers who will in turn provide further training to ensure no similar reoccurrence in the future.

Once again I would like to thank you for such valuable feedback that helps us to monitor and improve our standards.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

www.chesterfieldmayfair.com/
We [family of four with two children 13 and 16] spent an extended Thanksgiving weekend there past 22nd-25th November 2012, which was great! They have very good service and courtesy meets you at the front stairs. We will choose this hotel again for our next visit to London – hopefully very soon since there is so much more to explore!

It doesn’t matter if you are here in business or pleasure; you have the whole city within a short 5 minute walk to the “Green Park” subway/underground/tube-station on the Piccadilly line, which is the same line going to and from Heathrow Airport. We took The Tube, which is cheaper than the Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect even if it takes longer and is less comfortable but the closeness to the hotel made it worthwhile. Tube services leave Heathrow every few minutes from approximately 5am (5.50am Sundays) to 11.45pm (10.50pm Sundays). Journey time to “Piccadilly Circus” is about 50 minutes [which is one stop after “Green Park”]. There are three Tube stations at Heathrow Airport, serving Terminals 1-3,[ US Airways=Terminal 1 ] Terminal 4 and Terminal 5. A single paper ticket from Heathrow (Zone 6) into Central London (Zone 1) costs £5.00 (£4.50 on Oyster). We bought a Day-Ticket [£8.50] so we could start exploring London directly after checking in at the hotel. If you're going to be using London's public transport system, it's worth buying an Oyster card. You can also buy Travel Paper tickets, one per day, like we did. We live outside Philadelphia and flew with a direct flight by US Airways [a Staralliance company] to London. A very convenient flight, i.e direct, even though we are not the biggest fans of the carrier.

It’s a cozy atmosphere in the hotel bar, were we had our night drinks accompanied by soft live piano playing, and they serve their fine dining and breakfast in their stylish restaurant.
The hotel does not give a grand impression from the outside, like a separate driveway up to a pompous entrance, but that I don’t miss since the inside is the gem, so the saying is true about not judging the book by its cover…… Located in the exclusive Mayfair district on Charles Street with its fashion houses, numerous art galleries, great restaurants and local bars, with its backstreet character, makes it quiet and yet close to all the action. With its superb access to the whole of the city, it is the perfect location for all visitors. We used the Tube a lot!

For Families they offer a 'home from home', with so many family-friendly attractions nearby, keeping everyone entertained.
For Pets . We had to leave our little white and fluffy Havanese “Marshmallow” at home because the regulation to bring pets into UK is so rigorous, with mandatory quarantine coming from USA, that we didn’t want her to suffer that procedure, so she had to stay at home with our sitter. Otherwise she has travelled with us to Aruba twice, Florida once and Sweden once, so we know the paperwork. But because you’re staying in London’s most sought-after location doesn’t mean your four legged friends should miss out, if you can bring them. The hotel is pet friendly which we naturally love!
For Female Travelers’. The hotel have specially allocated rooms and amenities to provide enhanced security and comfort for female visitors. These include: Secure interior door locking, female service staff, extra hangers in the wardrobes and foot spa, creams and lotions.
Thoughtful Touches. When you choose the Chesterfield Mayfair as your preferred hotel you can expect to find a selection of thoughtful extras that will help you make your stay as special and comfortable as possible. Examples are: A pillow and duvet preference for a good night's sleep [ we slept very comfortably], 24 hour room service, Deluxe Fragonard toiletries, a children’s menu, welcome pack and turndown gifts, Complimentary wireless (Wi-Fi) high-speed Internet connection in all areas of the hotel [we used it a lot in our rooms (2) and it worked fast], evening turndown service, with bathrobes, luxury tea/coffee making facilities and bottled mineral water and fully integrated TV entertainment system, international TV channels/movies, music on demand and Internet.

HOTEL HISTORY. This is a hotel that boasts a rich heritage. Charles Street, Berkeley Square, occupies part of the lawns of old Berkeley House, the London mansion of that fierce old cavalier Lord Berkeley of Stratton, who during the civil war between Charles I and Parliament, distinguished himself as 'the hero of Stratton fight'. Soon after the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660, Lord Berkeley was rewarded by Charles II for his loyalty to the Crown with an extensive parcel of land to the north of Piccadilly on which he constructed for himself a great house. The land was afterwards developed by his widow. This street, which first appears in the rate-books in the 1740s, was named after Charles, Lord Falmouth, Lord Berkeley's brother. For two hundred years until the outbreak of the Second World War these houses in Charles Street were 'the abode of rank and fashion'.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
oraggett, General Manager at The Chesterfield Mayfair, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your brilliant review from your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled to read that you had an exceptional stay and I am pleased that you were made to feel welcome from the moment you walked up to the hotel.

Thank you for drawing attention to the location and amenities surrounding The Chesterfield Mayfair, I am sure other travellers will benefit from your descriptions. I am grateful for you for pointing out our Very Important Pet services: this is a feature which pet-owners really appreciate.
I will be sharing your kind comments with my team about their helpful and friendly service, and I know how pleased everybody will be to hear that their efforts to deliver an exceptional experience have been appreciated and you truly feel that The Chesterfield Mayfair is a ‘home away from home’.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel again in the near future.

Oliver

Been to The Chesterfield Mayfair? Share your experiences!