“Surely this place is illegal.” 1 of 5 stars

Colliers Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   95 - 97 Warwick Way, London SWL 1QL, England (Pimlico)   |
Ranked #993 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Surely this place is illegal.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I have only given one dot because it's not possible to give none. I had travelled from Sarajevo and wanted a place to refresh myself before taking a coach up north the following morning. Under the circumstances, I would have been happy with anywhere dry but this failed even this most basic requirement.

First of all, the room I was given was outside and down some steps just off the public street. The door was actually unlocked when I arrived meaning anyone could have been in there since the cleaner. When I got in, it was tiny like a cave or a prison cell. In order to have light, one has to turn on a fluorescent light which hums and buzzes. The light itself was separated from the roof with toilet paper. The same could be said for an electrical switch which I didn't dare touch. As the room was basically outside, it was freezing as there was a gap in the door. The tiny radiator was insufficient and the additional portable heater wasn't even working. Another consequence of the gap was that every drop of rain, every passing person and vehicle could be heard perfectly clearly rendering sleep impossible. The only facility was a small sink and toilet paper was provided to help wash one's hand. There wasn't even a bin in the room for it. The step and the floor looked like it had never been cleaned and behind the bed was severe mould and damp. As for the communal toilet/shower, that's what it literally was since there was no gap between the two and the shower floor looked as dirty as the uncleaned toilet seat. One could only dry one's hands using toilet paper in there. To get to the toilet-shower, one had to go outside and unlock another door which had I used either facility would have been most unpleasant. The only good thing was that the electric actually worked so I could use my phone to book the first coach out of London at three in the morning (although given how damp the room was, I'm not sure how terrific this was). On the basis of what I had saw, I chose to avoid the breakfast altogether.

During my lifetime, I have been a travelling labourer, had a spell street homeless and have been able to sleep pretty much anywhere including park benches, phone boxes, under trees, student houses and at some very dodgy squats. As such, I've never felt compelled to complain about accommodation. Nevertheless, this hole has proved the exception.

Room Tip: There's a park two streets down. It's locked at night so you will have to climb a fence to r...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Rude staff,not welcoming at all,ruined our weekend.

• Stayed March 2012
Bodmin, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

we booked 2 nights stay and was very disappointed with the hotel , room was very small with a tiny shower/ wc , more like you would find in a caravan , staff were unhelpful , i only asked for extra pillows but no joy , breakfast was very basic , tea /toast/cereals/ and juice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I booked this place mainly for its price and reasonable reviews. Located in Pimlico and about 10 minutes' walk from the Victoria Station and various eateries and supermarkets, this bed and breakfast inn offered a simple continental breakfast and relatively comfortable bed. The wifi was not free but reasonably priced at 1 pound/24 hours, and you could use the internet for free on the computer in the reception area. The place was monitored by CCTV and the rooms were fairly clean although some of the blankets had some mysterious stains on them. This place was let down mainly by the very poorly designed open-plan shower/toilet which was extremely cramped with the toilet being right adjacent to the shower screen and no separating stall so that the shower water would run under the screen and right into the toilet floor, unless absorbed by a shower mat. There was also no light in the shower so one had to shower in the semi-darkness with only the lonely toilet bulb providing some feeble lighting. The shower pressure was good but the temperature was temperamental and I alternated between getting scalded and gasping in the cold when taking a shower. There was also no hairdryer, no jug to boil water and no helpful list of internal numbers and other hotel services. Also the new towels had a pungent food-like smell to them. I had no complaints about the staff although it appeared that some of the guests were not too happy with some of their pricing options. Overall this place was very basic and average, but if low cost and good location are paramount to you and you are desperate, then this hotel is tolerable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Stayed here two nights. Not too far to walk from Pimlico tube. A very small "double" room, a pre-fab miniscule en-suite bathroom, but all clean and slept well at a good price for London (44 pounds per double per day). Used the Wifi which worked well in the room - cost one pound per day. Basic breakfast included. Manager was a bit offhand and not very welcoming, but other than that no real complaints.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Not only is the hotel infested with bedbugs, but the management is horribly offensive and abusive. We woke up after the first morning with the bed covered in blood stains, and there were still bed bugs crawling out of our pillowcases and trying to hide behind things. Also, the bed was covered in some round grey marks which we found out later (from googling...) were actually marks of bedbug fecal matter (YUK!). I'm simply trying to show that this was not the case of a tiny bedbug somewhere in a corner, it did look like a full-blown infestation, and the thought that those things had been crawling over us and that maybe they'd crept inside our bags and come back home with us...that was horrible.

When we canceled our 4-night reservation that very first morning, we were only given back half our money (for 2 nights, one because we had slept in their filthy hovel, the second one because we "chose to cancel") and the manager (he said he was the manager, but I doubt it, as he checked us in and seemed to be the receptionist) suggested that maybe we brought in the bedbugs ourselves, because they had never been confronted with such an issue. Having returned now, and having properly checked various reviews, I see that it was my fault I didn't read things through before I booked, because this hotel has bedbug infestation problems from way back (I didn't go through all of them, but at least going back to 2010). Anyway, please see below for other details. Perhaps they are not so important, but I am writing them down just in case they may convince you not to book a room there:

- we used their website to book a room, as the prices looked very good (50 pounds for a single room and 65 for a double, which is a bargain for central London), but they never replied our e-mail. I finally called a month later and they said on the phone the website didn't work, and their prices were higher, i.e. 70 pounds for a single room and 85 for a double room. I know I should have canceled there and then, based on THAT level of unprofessionalism, but I was too busy to start googling things again, and so I booked two rooms there;
- the rooms are tiny and the bathrooms tinier
- the toilet leaked in one of the rooms, and in the other, you couldn't actually go to the toilet with the door closed because there was simply no room unless you were willing to bang your head against the door as you were trying to sit)
- none of the surfaces were dusted properly (I had some wet wipes with me and passed them over the surfaces and they all had black marks on them at the end)
- the towels had dark marks/stains on them
- there was no heating AT ALL and only a flimsy blanket over the bed (we were informed by the receptionist that the heating would be on from 5pm to 2am and then again in the morning, but that did not happen)
- none of the two TV remotes in our rooms worked; we took them both to reception to get them checked and when we got them back they still did not work, so we gave that up
- when we were leaving after having been insulted and having had our money effectively stolen, another disgruntled guest came into the reception area and claimed that it was symptomatic of this hotel management to blame its guests for whatever went wrong; in his case, he had been led to believe that the room would cost less, and when he got there, he found he had to pay more, and was subsequently blamed for not having understood that their website was out of order.

PLEASE do not book a room there. Go to the St. George's, in the same area, and for the same rates. It's very clean and nice; it has polite receptionists and good managers who care about their business. Or if you have a bit more money, go to the Luna Simone hotel, which is my absolute favorite (and if I hadn't been overworked and underpaid, I may have selected that and paid less at the end of the day).

Room Tip: AVOID AT ALL COST! Or at least read a lot of other reviews before you make up your mind.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

The overall impression of this hotel was good. It is a tidy, little hotel for budget travellers on prime location near Victoria. The price/quality ration considering the location is good.

The rooms were tidy and service was ok. Some minor things lacking though. There was not any kind of glasses or cups in the room, nor anything to boil tea. Ok, tea is not so necessary, but it would be nice to have at least a glass for drinking. Breakfast consisted of toast and cereals. Bacon and eggs would have been nice, but not necessary for this price. However another toaster would be nice, the queues were long while people were waiting to get their bread toasted and if one is in a hurry there is no time to get any warm toasts.

I have been in a couple of other hotels in the same area, some which were better than this, and some much worse. So in the end this could be a good choice when staying in London.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Colliers Hotel? Share your experiences!