“Perfect, couldn't have asked more.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Guilford House Hotel

You added Guilford House Hotel to your Saves list
Guilford House Hotel
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   6 Guilford Street | Russell Square, London WC1N 1DR, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #426 of 524 London B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect, couldn't have asked more.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I couldn't have asked for more. Incredible value for money in a prime location, no hassle you're just left to do your own thing.
Would happily rate it 5/5 if it weren't for the human faeces smeared across the toilet.
4/5 would stay again

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I found a previous guest's chewed gum in my soap dish. I asked housekeeping to sort this out, and the gum was removed but the dish was not cleaned. My TV aerial was poorly connected, leading to a regular need for waggling, and, horror, missing 5 minutes of Downton Abbey. My ground-floor room was between the front door and reception, and the noise of the entry buzzer passed right through. They need a wireless bell. The bathroom cabin was indeed tiny. The shower was over the sink. While doing my hair in the mirror, I foolishly extended my right elbow, knocked the switch, and gave my fully dressed and made-up self an impromptu cold shower. Someone had torn open the paper wrapper on my solitary tea bag.

Great location. Comfy bed. Poor standards.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. If needs must, get away from that front buzzer.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Needed a room in London since I was there for work and decided to book this hotel at the last minute. The room was small and quite dreary and as tiny as a prison cell. So much so that even though I was planning to do some work in my room in the evening I went and found a local pub with wifi and sat there. The room was not particularly clean and it had a pre-fab bathroom (like in an airplane but only with a shower) that was so small you could not extend your arm fully.
The staff at the dek were courteous enough, but overall the place was old and dreary so much so that even though I had paid for brekfast I decided to opt out.
For £84 a night which this was really not worth the money. This is not a hotel, rather a glorified hostel and in my opinion it is to be avoided. You can find similar rooms much cheaper in the nearby area and better rooms for a similar price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
West Hollywood, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We arrived September 3, 2013 and cancelled the 2nd night and stayed at The Bedford instead. You get what you pay for. The room was a 10'x10' cell with a pre-fab bathroom (the kind you'd see on an airplane, but with a shower). Only room for one. It had wonderful WiFi, and all the necessary amenities, clean, but SMALL! It was basically a hostel but with your own bathroom (thank god). No in-room safe, so you had to leave your valuables at the front desk.

The staff was courteous enough, but the place was old and dreary. There was no usual perks like big hotels, just a tight-budget place. If you're young and single, this is the place for you. I'm 60 years old, and even I tried my best to enjoy this place, (I'm not a snob and I actually like small, intimate places, but my 38-year-old companion said, "no way!"! ). We had to keep the one night though (it was booked through Hotels.Com), but was able to cancel the second night. Buyer beware. This is a low cost hotel and, as with any other business, they're trying to make a buck.

If you want 5-star accommodations (or close to it) check out the Imperial, The Presidential, or The Bedford. Very reasonable prices and family owned.

-RJC

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I chose this hotel despite all the poor reviews here because it was the only place I could find for an overnight stay in busy London on a Saturday within staggering distance of a venue I was attending.

I was happy with the venue. Yes, it's clearly seen better days. Yes, the rooms are tiny and the en-suite bathroom is miraculously shoved into what was formerly a small cupboard (I almost admore the ingenuity). The walls are paper thin too - I kept hearing some madman laughing whilst in the room in the afternoon.

BUT the staff were friendly (24 hour reception is nice!), the room was clean, and to my surprise I got a good night's sleep despite being in a basement room close to a busy main road. The free wi-fi, although not the fastest, was an unexpected bonus. Unfortunately a very late night meant I overslept and missed the free breakfast so I have no idea what that was like.

Overall, the stay turned out better than I expected given the poor reviews here. Not comparable with modern hotels even at the 2 to 3 star level, but with hotels that used to charge £100/night just 5 years ago now expecting over £200/night I was overall happy with the hotel for the amount charged (£74 and easy to cancel right up to the last minute)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hotel location is good, less than 10 mins walk to Russell Sq station. Nearby station has Tesco and some eatery, there's also bars, a shopping area with Waitrose supermarket too. Hotel is old and not easily access with luggages because only tiny staircase to access the levels. My room's heater was not working properly, very cold in March. Room size and toilet was alright, but the cleanliness could really improve much more. Things could be out of place or not working properly but I'm very particular on hygiene. Price does not justify for the room I stayed. But then again this is central London.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Malaga, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Central location ten minutes walk from nearest underground. Well worn although seemed clean enough. En-suite bathroom was a corner cabinet like found in a caravan which was unusual to say the least. Unfortunately had some very noisy people in a nearby room who thankfully finally left about 2am. Not particularly cheap, ok for a last minute stay if you cannot find anything better, but be prepared.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Guilford House Hotel? Share your experiences!