“Great hotel with brilliant staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure London Bloomsbury

You added Mercure London Bloomsbury to your Saves list
Mercure London Bloomsbury
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 - 134 Southampton Row, London WC1B 5AF, England (Formerly Waverley House Hotel) (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #313 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great hotel with brilliant staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed for a night at this hotel. The whole place is immaculate and the room was small, but perfectly formed. As well as the usual luxuries in the room, I was pleased to see there was a Nespresso coffee machine, and a room safe included. The LED ceiling lighting was a good design touch, and helped make the room feel larger. I had a room overlooking the central light well of the building, which helped to ensure a peaceful night's sleep, and the bed was amazingly comfortable. The bathroom was gleaming, and the shower plenty powerful enough. Breakfast in the morning wasn't included on my room rate, but for £10 extra it was money well spent - good range, great service and unrushed. Perfect. What made my stay though were the staff - all those who I met were friendly, helpful and nothing seemed too much trouble. Thoroughly recommended, and I will be staying at the hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
GregBlack, General Manager at Mercure London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Guest,
It was a pleasure reading your lovely review about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you specifically enjoyed our helful and freindly staff throughout the departments and that you have been satisfied with all room amenities provided. We are looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel for your next trip to London.
Your Team at the Mercure Bloomsbury

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The first thing I noticed when I walked into this hotel, was the two receptionists standing behind their desks with the most genuine of welcoming smiles. I defy anyone to have a bad stay after a welcome like that. Check in was very fast and efficient and about one minute after walking in I was pressing the button for the lift. As other contributors have said the rooms (mine was a standard double) are cosy, but not unreasonably small. Everything you need is there and it is more than adequate for a one or two night stay. For me the two best things about this hotel were the cleanliness and the service. The room was spotless and the bathroom positively gleaming!! I would much rather have a small clean room than a big dirty one!! As for service, I have mentioned the lovely receptionists but also when I got to my room I found that the remote control wasn't working. I rang reception and quick as a flash they sent someone to sort it. The lady from housekeeping who they sent was lovely. She had a really easy friendly manner. She was chatting away as she worked, only small talk but still very engaging. As it turned out I needed new batteries. She went away and came back really quickly with batteries and a little screwdriver, sorted the problem and off she went, cheery as you like!! Maybe I am easily pleased but give me a clean room and cheery staff and I'm happy. I will definitely return. My summing up of this review? I guess it is not to be put off by other contributors who have complained about the small rooms. The rooms are small, but as my husband always tells me, size isn't everything!!!!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about your recent experiences with us. We are absolutely delighted that you have been so satisfied with the clealiness and especially the friendly and helpful services provided by our staff. We ceratinly hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed here 30 th - 1st jan and I've never been so impressed with a stay before. The rooms were spotless the bathroom was modern the beds were comfy. The breakfast was lovely had lots of choice! The staff were very welcoming and helpful..

I am defiantly looking to return in a couple of weeks when it's feburary half term! And hopefully get the same room! So thankyou Mercure hotel & hopefully see you in a few weeks!

(Would recommend to anyone)

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,
It was a real pleasure reading your lovely review about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed all aspects of your stay and are already looking forward to welcoming you back in a few weeks.
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed in a single room (and it really was a single). The bed was comfortable but the room and bathroom were relatively small. Generally the room was well-appointed (no exciting surprises, but the normal stuff was there). The wardrobe has loads of shelves in it, which is a bit of an irritation if you want to hang up anything longer than a shirt - I had to sling my dress over the back of the chair.

The water in the shower was plentiful and properly hot, but more towels wouldn't go amiss (one bath sheet and one hand towel don't go far if you have long hair). The motion-sensitive bathroom light that turns itself on every time you move (even if you're just turning over in bed and the bathroom door is shut) is massively irritating, though, and kept waking me up. I was also in a room on the first floor facing the busy road, which may have added to my restlessness a bit (although in fairness, the room was laid out to minimise this, and the glazing was very good).

The staff were friendly and helpful and overall it was fine for what I needed, which was a place to crash (I had plans that involved checking out before 5am - I actually felt a bit wasteful doing that so was half-glad it wasn't really amazing!). I got the room as a (fairly) cheap last-minute deal, making it reasonable for what I was after - I'd probably be less enthusiastic about a long stay, or had I been there for anything special.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
GregBlack, General Manager at Mercure London Bloomsbury, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest,
We appreciate that you took the time to review your recent experience with us. Your feedback is very important to us and we are glad to hear that the overnight stay suited your needs on this occassion. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I was at the Mercure in January and found the staff very helpful, rooms well appointed, of a good size. Would recmmend this to anyone wanting to go to the West End of London. Close to St Pancras International, and also near the tube - Russell Square

Dear Guest,
We appreciate that you took the time to review your recent stay with us and are delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and could specifically take advantage of our central London location. We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We just spent 3 lovely nights in this hotel. Staff were very friendly giving extra milk when requested, check in and out was very quick and efficient.. Room was warm, cosy and a good size. Christmas decorations were very tasteful and festive. Excellent location for a great city break.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the building on as high a floor as possible, then you will hear almost...