“Good location for exploring London” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Montague on The Gardens

You added The Montague on The Gardens to your Saves list
The Montague on The Gardens
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Montague Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1B 5BJ, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Special Offer
3 nights for 2
Ranked #9 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good location for exploring London”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

The Montague on the Gardens is a quaint British hotel located in Bloomsbury. It's right at the corner from the British Museum, 5-10 mins walk from Holborn station and walking distance to one end of Oxford Street. The hotel is great for anyone looking for a convenient and comfortable base to explore London.

One negative part we found about the hotel is that the rooms are on the smaller side. Rooms in London are generally smaller but this is much smaller than expected. If you have large luggages, I'm not sure if you can fit them all comfortably in the room (we had 2 hand carry luggages and that just about fit in the room with some space to walk). So perhaps it would be a better idea to go for a larger room if it is possible for your budget.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review regarding your recent visit.

I was very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this would have caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. If you would care to mention that you would prefer a larger room when next making a booking with us, we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room.

However, I am pleased that you found the Montague to be a convenient and comfortable base, being located in an ideal area to explore London. I do hope that the room size did not detract too much from your time with us.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Montague in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Just returned from an overnight stay at The Montague. All the staff were superb. Extremely helpful and polite. Allowed us to store luggage and apologised for not having our room ready even though it was only 9am when we arrived and we never expected the room to be ready! An example of their attention to detail is that they noticed I fetched a cardigan for my daughter at breakfast so they turned the air con down near where we were sat without being asked. A truly top class hotel and I hope to return soon just sorry our stay was so brief

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased you enjoyed a pleasant visit to the hotel and found the staff to be extremely friendly and polite.

Here at the Montague we like to ensure that every guest is comfortable during their time with us and so I am delighted that the staff took note that your daughter was cold and changed the temperature for you. I am equally thrilled that they assisted you on arrival with storing your luggage. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is motivating to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly noted.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

My wife and I decided to stay at The Montague after having a wonderful meal at the restaurant in the hotel (The Blue Door Bistro) on our last visit to London. The meal had been great, and we had been impressed with the friendly and welcoming service. We found the hotel to be similarly friendly, welcoming and comfortable. The staff were attentive and helpful, but never intrusive. Our room was small, but had all the small conveniences a traveler might need. The bed was great. Our room faced Montague Street and was quiet--the street is not busy, and there was no noise from other rooms. The hotel is well situated. It is just around the corner from the British Museum and a pleasant walk to Covent Garden, the theater district and other London destinations. Underground stops are close by, too. And yes, the restaurant was as good as we remembered it.

Room Tip: The base room is nice, but small. If your budget allows, pay for a larger room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

It is wonderful to read that following a great experience in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro you chose to stay with us at the Montague. Your feedback that the hotel was friendly, welcoming and comfortable is most appreciated.

I am pleased that you were able to enjoy a peaceful night’s sleep and that you found the bed to be great.

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding our staff, we invest heavily in training the team to provide first class customer care and make sure our guests leave us feeling they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile. I am thrilled that they were attentive and helpful, without being intrusive. I will be pleased to share this feedback with them.

I am equally delighted that you found the restaurant did not disappoint once again!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and Blue Door Bistro soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

From the location to the staff to our lovely room, it was all just perfect. This was a splurge for us and I think I cohkd get used to this lifestyle. Maybe just once every few years makes it even more special. A great experience in every way.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you had a perfect stay with us.

Our staff work hard to ensure that every guest has a great experience when staying at the Montague and so it is wonderful to read that their efforts have been noticed. Your positive comment provides great motivation for the team.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I had the great pleasure of staying at the Montague in January. It was the result of a somewhat disappointing stay I had the prior year at their sister hotel the Rubens. I had made a small complaint at the front desk on checkout, and the management of the Red Carnation chain, surprisingly, actually followed up with me. This is a hotel chain that REALLY cares about their customers and their reputation. They offered me a free night stay at a sister hotel, so I chose the Montague when I had a business trip in January. I was treated like a princess, and that is not an exaggeration. They didn't just comp me a room, they gave me the Duchess Suite with free champagne and complimentary high tea. The room was delightful. The best thing about the Montague is the staff. Very professional, they spoke every language imaginable, kind, attentive, and friendly. I truly felt like they were my extended family (I stayed 4 days). The food at the restaurant, and the high tea, was simply amazing. The decoration is very olde fashioned and grand, but that's what I like about it. The location is fabulous, right next door to the British Museum in a very nice neighbourhood. I have stayed in London many times, and this was absolutely the best hotel experience I have ever had. And I don't think it was "put on" for me because I had previously complained about their other hotel. I believe this is how they treat all their guests, all the time. There is a lot of material around the hotel to read about their founder Bea Tollman and her principles for good service. The Montage and the The Red Carnation chain really do embody their own mission statement. In this day and age, it is a delight to experience a company that holds to its values, which is very clearly to put their customer first and give them a wonderful experience. While the hotel was expensive, as most are in London, I came away feeling like I had gotten the royal treatment, so I got what I paid for. Thank you Jonathan at Red Carnation and to all the staff for my wonderful stay. I am now a customer for life and will see you again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your stay at the Montague.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the room allocated to you.

Our staff take genuine pride in all they do and so it is always motivating to receive such lovely comments as yours. The team take genuine interest in every guest and they work hard to exceed their expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am especially pleased that you found them to be professional, linguistic, kind, attentive and friendly. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the staff and that their service is duly noted.

I am equally delighted that you enjoyed your meal in The Blue Door Bistro and that you had the opportunity to experience afternoon tea. I will be happy to share this feedback with the Food and Beverage and Kitchen teams, who will be most pleased.

At the Montague, we really do believe in our values to ensure that every guest has the most memorable stay with us.

It is wonderful to read that you feel we provided the best hotel experience you have had and that you are a customer for life. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed here for 8 nights, celebrating our 25-year anniversary. We could not have made a better choice. Everything was top notch, from the check-in desk to the bell men to the management. We were treated like royalty from start to finish. Our classic King room was beautifully appointed, spotless and re-stocked every day. Several times during our stay the management and staff sent us special amenities to help celebrate our occasion.. Turn down service was always waiting for us upon our return from an evening out. Every staff member made us feel welcome; all were helpful and willing to go the extra mile to ensure our comfort. We appreciated all their efforts and appreciated the umbrellas always at the ready near the front door. The location between two tube stations, and walkablility to the theater district were helpful for our trip. They included complimentary bottled water in the room, as well as coffee, tea, fruit and breakfast bars outside the restaurant in the morning. We will be back and will recommend Montague on the Gardens to anyone travelling to London.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

As much valued guests I am delighted that you chose to celebrate your 25th anniversary with us here at the Montague and that you were not disappointed with your choice of accommodation.

Our staff take great interest in our guests to ensure that they have a truly memorable and comfortable stay with us. I am pleased that they made you feel like royalty and assisted you during your time here. I am equally thrilled that you were happy with the turndown service we provided and the efforts of the staff, especially with regards to the umbrellas at the main door. Your kind feedback that the team were helpful and willing to go the extra mile is highly appreciated.

It is wonderful that you were pleased with the room allocated to you and that you enjoyed the amenities provided.

Thank you for your kind recommendation to other travellers. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Roseville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

The staff will exceed your every expectation, Daria the restaurant assistant Manager is very attentive to your dining experience, the food is outstanding and the afternoon Tea is a must. The hotel is in a great location just a 5 minute walk to the Russell Square tube location. The moment you walk into the Hotel you are treated like your one of the Royal Family. Good wine selection and Cigar selection..Rooms are very clean if you can ask for room #41, nice and big.. The Assistant Bar Manager is one of the best hospitality managers I have ever come across. I would like to acknowledge the following employees of the Montague on the Garden for their superior service...

Thomas
Naomi
Anja
Wayne
Kendal
Daria

Thanks for a most rememberable stay !!!!

We will book here again !!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you had a most memorable stay with us.

We are very proud of our staff at the Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. It is wonderful to read that Daria, Tomasz, Noemi, Anja, Wayne and Kendra were particularly helpful during your time at the hotel. I shall ensure that all of your positive comments and praise are passed on to the team and their service is duly rewarded.

Your kind feedback that the food is outstanding and the afternoon tea is ‘a must’ is equally most appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Been to The Montague on The Gardens? Share your experiences!