“Very English” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Montague on The Gardens

You added The Montague on The Gardens to your Saves list
The Montague on The Gardens
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Montague Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1B 5BJ, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Special Offer
3 nights for 2
Ranked #7 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Very English”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Our second stay enjoyed the fantastic staff, service second to none, very English in decor, restaurant was also reasonably priced and good food. Found location central to most of London plus underground rail stations.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

As returning and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations and made your stay an occasion to remember.

Your kind comments that the staff were fantastic and that the service was second to none are most appreciated. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I am equally delighted that you had the opportunity to dine in our restaurant; The Blue Door Bistro and that you enjoyed the food.

I hope that you return to the Montague again in the future.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Seminole, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We spent one day before & 3 days after a British Isles cruise. The first night & day, we didn't want to leave for the cruise. That is how good the hotel is. What can I say about a hotel that feels "more like home!" The personnel outdo themselves working to make sure your every wish and need is met. Yes, it is pricey even for London, but, even though I didn't want to spend the $$$ for the room & hotel, it was worth every pence we spent. Even their included breakfast was fulfilling & they made porridge (English version of Oatmeal) on request for me since I am limited to what I can eat because of lap band surgery. Especially the dining room staff (who greeted me w/ a hug when we returned), front desk, restaurant...everyone stood out because of their dedication to service). Homemade biscuits (cookies) in the room, slippers, robes, coffee, tea, elegant rooms (they upgraded us w/o charge when my husband commented on the size of the room). Every evening something was left for us on the pillow. We came back from the cruise sounding like we were dying so they took us to the garden restaurant for some chicken soup (home made-the chef is my hero). Even the owner, Bea Tollman, was there in the garden one day. I don't want to single anyone out, but especially Daria (the hugging employee) was incredible (yes, & her staff in the breakfast rooms). There is a good reason people come back again a second & third time to this hotel. They even had homemade lemonade after a busy day in London for those who needed it! Okay, one caveat, the plumbing is "English" (ugh!). (spoiled American!!!) I could go on and on, but w/o exception, the best hotel stay I ever have had, bar none. Spend the money, and you will get an experience that is...."incredible!"

Room Tip: Take a larger room w/ breakfast included. Worth the extra charge. Garden rooms are nice!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review following your recent visit.

It is lovely to read that you enjoyed your time at the Montague before and after your cruise.

The staff take great interest in our guests to ensure that they have everything they need to make sure that their stay is comfortable and memorable and so I am thrilled that you felt like home with us. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am especially happy that Daria and her team were incredible. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly noted.

I am pleased that we could assist with your dietary requirements and that you enjoyed the porridge made on request, as we like to ensure that our guests are fully satisfied. I am equally delighted to read that you liked the homemade lemonade and Beas Chicken Noodle Soup on your return to the hotel. I will pass this positive feedback on to the Kitchen team who will be most appreciative.

Your kind comment that the hotel is the best you have ever stayed in, bar none, is wonderful to know.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

MIAMI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

This is my third stay at the Montague, and will continue to stay there in the future. Right next to the British Museum, walking distance to Covent Garden and the theater district, easily accessible by several underground lines. It's a bit pricey, but elegant and oh so British. Every room is wonderfully decorated, and the staff is superb. The concierge, reception, the bartender, everyone goes way out of their way to cater to every whim you come up with. Lovely outdoor area, awesome restaurant, and hunting lodge type bar. They even have a "tea room". I can't wait to stay there again

Room Tip: If you can afford the suites, go for it!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback following your visit to the Montague.

As regular and much-valued guests, your review is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore thrilled that we have once again met your expectations and made your stay with us an occasion to remember.

I am pleased that you feel the hotel is elegant and that the rooms are wonderfully decorated.

Our staff take great interest in our guests to ensure that they have everything they may need for a comfortable and memorable stay and so I am delighted that they were superb and assisted to every need. I will ensure that their service is duly noted.

Your lovely comments about our indoor and outdoor public areas are most appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

This hotel, which we chose for its proximity to the British Museum, made our stay in London exceptionally comfortable. All on the staff were thoughtfully attentive. It is difficult to identify any who were not amiable but, in particular, the concierge staff and the staff in the bar were outstanding. Individually decorated rooms are lovely. I cannot imagine staying anywhere else in London.

Room Tip: All I saw seemed lovely.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you had an exceptionally comfortable stay at the Montague and that you cannot imagine staying anywhere else in London. This wonderful comment is highly appreciated.

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding our team, we invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care. I am thrilled that they were thoroughly attentive, especially the Concierge and Bar staff. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile and I will be pleased to share this lovely feedback with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

From the outside, this hotel looks like many others but when you walk through the doors it's something special.

The staff were warm, welcoming and thoughtful, and very accommodating for our three year old. In the room, they left him a toy, mini slippers and a mini bathrobe! In the evening we ate at the Blue Door Bistro and they brought his dinner as soon as it was ready.

For adults, this hotel is a little sanctuary. There are conservatories, wood decks and a terrace overlooking Bedford Gardens. We had breakfast outside on the terrace one morning - what better way to start the day. We were too early in the summer, but we read that they have bbqs in the summer - we'll be back!

Room Tip: Room 216 caused even our son to say 'Wow' as he walked in. Split over three levels overlook...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you found the Montague to be ‘something special’. Our staff take pride in all they do and it is always pleasing to receive such positive comments as yours. We like to ensure that our younger guests have a great stay with us too and so I am delighted that your 3 year old enjoyed the gifts and amenities we provided for him. I am equally pleased that you had the opportunity to dine in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro and that it was a good experience.

Your lovely feedback that the staff were warm, welcoming and thoughtful are most appreciated and I will be pleased to share this with the team.

I am delighted that you enjoyed breakfast on the Terrace and I do hope that you have the chance to return to enjoy a BBQ meal on our Wood Deck in the summer.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed at the Montague for our 20th Anniversary and took advantage of the 3 for 2 junior suite offer in May.Our room was small for a junior suite but beautifully decorated and laid out.
We ate in the restaurant on our anniversary night and the food was delicious.We returned to our room to find a card and the room decorated with candles and rose petals.Unlike another reviewer i thought.this was very nice and that the staff had put themselves out to do this.It was much appreciated.Throughout our stay ALL the staff were so helpful and efficient,always had a smile and nothing was too much trouble.
Every evening we returned to our room there were nibbles to tempt us which were beautifully presented and new bottles of water.
The hotel has a small bar which is cosy and an outside eating area which will be lovely in the summer.We go to London twice a year and have tried lots of London hotels but never have we had service like this.I would recommend this hotel for anyone going to London.Thankyou for a lovely start to our 20th Anniversary holiday.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations and made your 20th Anniversary stay an occasion to remember.

I am thrilled that you dined in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro and that you found the food to be delicious. I will share your positive feedback with the Executive Chef and his team.

I am equally thrilled that you enjoyed the romantic turndown we prepared and that you felt the staff were helpful, efficient and that nothing was too much trouble for them. We are very proud of our team and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

Your kind comment that our bar is cosy is most appreciated and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the summer so that you can experience dining on our Wood Deck or Terrace.

Thank you for your recommendation to others, I hope that you return to the Montague again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I had been invited to afternoon tea with a group of friends at the weekend, the service was outstanding and the food was out of this world. Andrew and Garcia were very attentive and the hotel surroundings were superb.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you had a pleasant afternoon tea experience with us. I am delighted that you felt the service was outstanding and that the food was ‘out of this world’.

We are very proud of our staff at the Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is positive to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am pleased that Andrew and Garcia were attentive during your time with us. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly rewarded.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Been to The Montague on The Gardens? Share your experiences!