“Wonderful hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Montague on The Gardens

You added The Montague on The Gardens to your Saves list
The Montague on The Gardens
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Montague Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1B 5BJ, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Special Offer
3 nights for 2
Ranked #9 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Long Beach, California
“Wonderful hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Montague in July for 5 nights and had a delightful time. Our room was large and clean and the staff was very friendly. We started each day with a wonderful breakfast, had tea each afternoon, and dined at the restaurant a few times. Everyone we encountered was very accommodating and the concierge was always able to assist us with our every need. The location was great, and at the end of a hot day of touring around the city....it was so very nice to end our day at this "welcoming place."

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review regarding your recent visit.

It is pleasing to read that you and your husband had a delightful stay with us and found the Montague to be a ‘welcoming place’.

I am thrilled that you found the breakfast to be wonderful and that you had the opportunity to enjoy tea in the afternoon and dinner in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro.

Your kind comment that the staff were accommodating, especially the Concierge is most appreciated. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly rewarded.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel as a business traveller on a couple of occasions. I have always found the staff to be very helpful, friendly and welcoming. The hotel has a lovely atmosphere and certainly more character than many others. I can't fault it all and would be very happy to stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review about your recent stay with us.

As a returning guest I am please to read that your most recent visit to the Montague did not disappoint.

Your kind comments that the staff were friendly, helpful and welcoming are most appreciated and I will be delighted to share this with the team. Feedback such as this provides great motivation for them.

It is wonderful to read that you find the atmosphere lovely with plenty of character.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I had a great two night stay at the Montague in January. I was with a work conference and arrived in the evening after a long drive in the rain from Bedfordshire. I had a rental car, so had to drop my bags off and return the car. The porter was very friendly and said that this was fine. On my arrival back at the hotel, everything was ready to go - my check-in paperwork ready and all the staff seemed to know my name already. It was like coming back as a favourite guest - really nice!
I joined a couple of colleagues for a light dinner in the conservatory and had a lovely meal and a couple of well earned drinks.
My room was very nicely decked out with a very comfortable bed and a couple of very nice gifts. the bathroom had an electric blue light, which was a bit strange - didn't really match the feel of the room, but only a trivial detail. Overall, the room was perfect (small, but that's London). I had a great nights sleep, no noise, and woke up feeling very rested.
The second night was a bit rowdier with the work group coming back to the bar after dinner. The guys looking after the bar were outstanding, providing great service and some very funny and interesting anecdotes. I'd like to say a big thanks to Paulos and Deklan for looking after us so well.
I've just found out that I'm staying at the Montague again in April, so really looking coming back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

Here at the Montague, we understand that after a long journey our guests would like to check in quickly and relax, so I am delighted that it was no different on this occasion and that our staff had everything prepared for your arrival. We like to ensure that our guests are truly happy and that they feel welcome.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed a great night’s sleep with no disturbances and that you felt well rested the following day.

We are very proud of our team and so I am pleased that Declan and Paulos looked after you in the bar. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am equally pleased that you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We travel in expectation of surprise.In hope that the door will open and something special will happen. Not because we are bored or travel weary just that we know it can happen.Boom,
this was one of those places. The staff are outstanding.They smile. They worry about us.They anticipate.They help.They smile again.
Nothing is a hassle.
The building is probably an architectural disaster but it works magnificently.very comfortable in feel and look.You can sort of flop down anywhere and feel at home.

And the place is full of quirky details and character stuff. The wine cartoons on the lower ground floor corridor walls are almost worth a stay in themselves.
Well done to all of you. Is there any one thing we did not like.Yes......Leaving.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that the Montague met your expectations of finding somewhere special.

Your lovely comments that the staff were outstanding, helpful and happy are most appreciated. They take great interest in ensuring that our guests have everything when staying with us. It is wonderful that you felt comfortable and at home during your time here. I am thrilled that the teams’ hard work was noticed and I will ensure that their service is duly recognised.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the wine cartoons we have on display; they are extremely popular with our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Nantucket, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband and I spent a week at this lovely hotel in the middle of Bloomsbury. The service is outstanding in every department. Jorge, at the Concierge desk, took great care of us, making excellent suggestions and securing reservations for restaurants and arranging transportation. The waitstaff in the hotel restaurant was friendly and helpful and the food was delicious. The rooms are individually decorated. Our junior suite on the ground floor was most attractive and very comfortable. The American traveler should remember that in England rooms tend to be on the small side in all hotels so if staying for an extended period, and you like a bit of extra space, you might be well advised to upgrade to a junior suite.

Room Tip: The ground floor and first floor (in the US it would be called second floor) rooms have large window...
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your stay at the Montague.

I am thrilled that you both enjoyed your time with us. It is lovely to read that you were happy with your room, finding it to be most attractive and comfortable.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such lovely comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am especially pleased that Jorge assisted you with suggestions, reservations and transportation. I am equally happy that the restaurant team were friendly and helpful. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Jorge and the team and that their service is duly noted.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This is the second time that I have stayed at the Montague, this time during a business trip. I cannot speak highly enough of this wonderful boutique hotel in London; its location, service and quality cannot be surpassed in London. I transferred to the Montague after spending a few nights in a much more expensive hotel in Park Lane, where I was booked with a work group, and for value for money and friendliness there was no comparison. I arrived early in the morning hoping to just drop my luggage and proceed on my first appointment of the day; however, I was greeted like an old friend and shown to my room straight away. The staff all new my name by the second day - service and professionalism! I ate each night in the Blue Door Bistro during this stay and the meals were superb. I would not stay anywhere else in London.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following you recent visit.

I am delighted to read that your return visit to the Montague, this time for a business trip, was even better.

We like to ensure that our guests feel comfortable when staying with us, whether they are here for business or leisure. The staff take great interest in making sure that our guests feel at home. So I am happy that their efforts were noticed and they were friendly and professional.

I am equally thrilled that you felt your evening meals in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro were superb.

Your positive comment that you wouldn’t stay anywhere else in London is great motivation for the team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Encinitas, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

This is the 4th or 5th time we've stayed here, this time for 8 days, the longest sojourn here. As always, the Montague was fantastic! We love the friendly, efficient, interesting international staff. Everyone is so kind, so approachable, so friendly and they provide wonderful service. The owners and managers of this chain of hotels --the Red Carnation--really have paid attention to recruitment and training, unlike so many establishments today. The good values of the owners are reflected in the staff as well. It is a lovely, boutique hotel in Bloomsbury, next to the British Museum and walking distance to Soho and also theatre district. We would never stay anywhere else when in London. It's not cheap (expect to spend $400+ per night for a good room), but unlike so many other London hotels, it is value for the money given the place, the breakfasts, and the staff. There may be a few better hotels in London but they would cost you twice the price.

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

We are very proud of our staff at the Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. It is wonderful to read that you continue to find them to be friendly, efficient and interesting. We invest a lot in training for our staff and so I am pleased that their efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your positive comments and praise are passed on to the team.

Your kind comment that you wouldn’t stay anywhere else when you are in London is truly appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Been to The Montague on The Gardens? Share your experiences!