“would love to go again.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Montague on The Gardens

Save Saved
You added The Montague on The Gardens to your Saves list
The Montague on The Gardens
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Montague Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1B 5BJ, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Special Offer
3 nights for 2
Ranked #6 of 1,062 Hotels in London
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“would love to go again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

fantastic location, can walk to covent garden or Piccadilly easily, buses go to where you are going close by. two tube stations close by. Fabulous room. lovely attentive professional staff .nice to look out on gardens. sky tv. no music marvellous. no decaf tea. no classical music on the tv. would like speaker in bathroom. for radio 4 or classical music.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you found your room to be fabulous and the staff to be attentive and professional. We always work hard to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is lovely to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I have noted your suggestion regarding additional TV choices and speakers in the bathroom. I welcome any specific channels/choices that you would like to see included and will share this with my Management team.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed at the Montague in August and I must say it did not disappoint. I booked this hotel for the last 3 nights of a three week trip throughout the UK and Ireland based on all the positive reviews here on Tripadvisor and let me just say it was way above my expectations. I have been to London many times and stayed in many different hotels and nothing has compared to the Montague. It is hard to find a place in a big city that has an intimate vibe to it and that makes you feel at home, I usually book guesthouses but I decided that this time around because of the gorgeous gardens that this would be the place, the gardens are superb, real work you can see has gone in to them and it is just so lovely to relax in them after a long day of sightseeing and shopping in the city. I do plan to return on my next visit which I hope won't be too long away.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your visit to the Montague.

I was pleased that you were not disappointed with your stay with us. We like to ensure that guests are comfortable and feel at home when they stay at the hotel and so I am thrilled that we have met your expectations.

I am delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy our outdoor areas and found them a perfect place to relax after a long day of sight seeing and shopping!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I've had to lower the rating from a 5 to a 4 because of the smell of the smoking room, which permeated the conservatory during our afternoon tea and the bar during our evening after-theatre drink.

I understand that having a room where clients can smoke cigarettes and cigars attached to the bar in an increasingly smoking-intolerant world might be an inducement to some to stay here. However, the stink was everywhere (at times worse than others) and I could notice it even stepping out of the elevator into the lobby. I found the doors that opened into the bar and into the conservatory ineffective for keeping out the smell. I'm not sure why the hotel keeps this room. Certainly there are far more people who do not smoke than do and who prefer not to have to breath in noxious fumes while taking their tea or whisky.

This is an absolute shame. It's a lovely hotel, with attentive, willing staff, beautifully decorated and very good service. The room was nicely appointed, although a bit small. The bed was very comfortable. There was an iron and ironing board, as well as a tea tray. Unpacking was limited owing to very little space, but this is common in London and is not a criticism.

We ate in the restaurant (quite nice) and had afternoon tea (very nice). We really liked the cosy bar but again the smoke made us cut our visit short.

The location is exceptional and the cost, considering the high standard of the hotel, is quite reasonable.

If it wasn't for the smoking/cigar room, I would immediately book for my visit in August.

Room Tip: The windows are larger on the lower floors. The hotel is very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent visit.

I was very sorry to read that your stay with us was affected by the use of the Cigar Terrace. I would also like to apologise for the interference of the cigar smell whilst you were enjoying our Afternoon Tea and a drink in the bar.

As a hospitality provider, we always strive to exceed our guest’s expectations and provide a holistic offering. We have put up side panels around the terrace area and we try to ensure that the doors leading to the conservatories and bar are kept closed to prevent the smoke drifting in to the public areas. However this was clearly not sufficient on this occasion. We regularly review our guest feedback on this important issue and therefore I will make further investigations into how we can improve this area.

I am pleased nonetheless, that you found the food and afternoon tea to be very nice and you enjoyed the cozy atmosphere of the bar.

I am disappointed you feel the presence of our cigar terrace is a prohibitive factor in your staying with us. However I fully understand your decision in this matter.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is now the only hotel I stay at on my regular trips to London. Gorgeous decor but the real drawcards are the service and the very lovely garden. Staff turnover is amazingly low for London, so the same friendly faces greet (and remember) you each time. Complimentary homebaked biscotti when you get back at the end of a long day; happy to set up your breakfast table anywhere you want (including the garden room); and nothing is too much trouble for the concierge staff. And there's nothing nicer after a day of sirens and crowds than sitting outside in the quiet green of the herb garden or verandah and watching sparrows hop about the Duke's garden. Fabulous.

Room Tip: Pick a garden room at the back - bigger and quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you have chosen the Montague to be your London hotel.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I am thrilled that the Concierge team were helpful, without anything being too much trouble. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I am pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy your breakfast on the Terrace and that you favoured the quiet areas in the herb garden and wood deck.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Just had a fantastic week end at this superb hotel. Can't fault the room spotless, food great will be back.
Staff are always on hand to help and advise on best way to London attractions.

15mins walk from Euston station or a £7 taxi ride.

Right by British Museum if that's your thing. Covent Garden 10 mins away.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you had a fantastic week with us here at the Montague and I am delighted that you couldn’t fault the room; finding it to be spotless.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always lovely to receive such positive feedback as yours. I am happy they were able to assist you with advice for the London attractions. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I am pleased that you felt the food in our restaurant; The Blue Door Bistro was great.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

This booking was made for a 21st birthday gift, from the moment they arrived and during there stay the staff were very friendly and couldent do enough to accomodate , adding the special touch of sending a card with complimentry biscuits . They were upgraded to a king suite, which was decorated with elegant. A truly magical stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your guests’ recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that your guests enjoyed the 21st birthday gift and had a truly magical stay.

Your lovely comments that our staff were friendly and couldn’t do enough to accommodate them are highly appreciated. We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and make sure our guests leave us feeling they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our work worthwhile.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you and your guests to the Montague in the near future.

Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

This stately old hotel is in the Russell Square area, right across the street from the British Museum. Our group of five shared three rooms; each room was uniquely appointed. Our afternoon tea was superb! We enjoyed our breakfasts and a dinner here as well.

The staff was friendly and accommodating. The hotel is a short walk from Russell Square tube station. We enjoyed the Montague on the Gardens immensely!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review regarding your recent visit.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time at the Montague.

Your kind comment that the afternoon tea was superb is most appreciated; I will ensure this is shared with the kitchen and restaurant staff who will be delighted.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I am pleased that they were friendly and accommodating. We continuously strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Been to The Montague on The Gardens? Share your experiences!