“Lovely hotel, great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Montague on The Gardens

Save Saved
You added The Montague on The Gardens to your Saves list
The Montague on The Gardens
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Montague Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1B 5BJ, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Special Offer
Free Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Houston, Texas
“Lovely hotel, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was our second visit to the Montague, and it did not disappoint. Our room was surprisingly large, (this is not always true, per our past visit.) Our room was a Classic King. The room was a split level, with the bathroom above and the bed area below. It had a view of the garden, and so no street noise.

Breakfast was excellent. We had a choice of an extensive Continental breakfast or a very nice hot English breakfast. The food quality and the service were top notch.

The hotel is located only a block from Russel Square and Russel Square tube station, making visits to London sites very easy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments about your recent stay with us at the Montague.

As returning and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations, and made your time with us an occasion to remember.

I was delighted to read that you liked your room and found it to be of a good size and that you didn’t experience any noise disruption.

I was equally thrilled that you thought the breakfast in our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro to be excellent and the food quality and service top notch. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the team.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Wow...what a great hotel! The staff were all very very nice and, the best part, sincere. If there was any inconvenience, they offered something to make it right..like a cold soda in the bar on an unusually hot day. The wife and I sat in the pub and they constantly brought us little nibbles. At every point, they would ask how we were doing and if we needed anything. The rooms and hotel decoration were superb...great for what my wife and I like. Our room was very very quiet with padded walls and everything worked in the room too. Free WiFi and we stayed connected all the time. Since we liked to walk a lot, the location was just right for what we needed. We rate good hotels by the desire to return and stay again if we are in London, so emphatically we will stay here again on our next trip.

Stayed July 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review about your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff to be very nice and sincere. We like to ensure that our guests have everything they may need or want to ensure that their time with us is comfortable and perfect.

It pleases me to read that you felt the rooms and decor are superb and that you had no issues with maintenance. I was equally thrilled that you were happy with the free Wi-Fi we offer.

I am happy that you had the opportunity to enjoy drinks and nibbles in our Terrace Bar too.

We hope to welcome you back to the Montague soon.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I was a guest at a party hosted to celebrate a birthday. Pre-prandial drinks were held on a luscious covered deck outside overlooking the gardens of the Duke of Bedford in Bloomsbury and the sit-down dinner was held in the Great Russell Suite downstairs. From start to finish, it was an amazing event. The ambiance was fantastic- the staff was attentive, well trained, charming and just couldn't be bettered. The dinner party menu was well chosen and delicious and both vegetarian and gluten intolerant guests were catered for without any trouble. The standard and style of cooking and the presentation was faultless- no one had to wait long to be served. The lavatories were sparkling clean. The evening was successful and a great time was had by all which was in no small measure due to the seamless co-ordination by the kitchen/ wait staff/ reception staff/hall porter and the events staff dedicated to the evening. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your recent visit.

Here at the Montague we like to ensure that all of our guests whether staying in house or visiting have a memorable stay and so I was delighted to read that you found the party to be amazing. We aim to make our guests feel comfortable and not have to worry about anything, so it is wonderful to read that you felt that the evening was successful and seamless.

I will pass on your kind comments regarding the menu and how it was well chosen and catered for all dietary requirements to the Chef and his team, they will be most grateful.

We are very proud of our staff at and so it is always pleasing to receive such kind feedback as yours. I am thrilled that you found the staff to be attentive, well trained and charming. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to the team and that their service is duly recognised.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Montague in the near future.

Concord, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

From the moment you arrive, the red carpet treatment begins. Everyone, from the manager to chambermaids, is attentive, friendly, courteous and professional. The location is terrific for exploring London and the hotel itself is comfortable and feels like home. Overall, a five star experience.

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review regarding your recent visit.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations.

Your kind words that the staff were attentive, friendly, courteous and professional are most appreciated. I will be sure to pass these on as they serve as a great motivator for the team.

Thank you for your comment that you had a 5 star experience and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at the lovely Montague on the Gardens at the end of May. We arrived from Australia at 7am and the fantastic reception staff were able to give us our room straight away. After a 26 hour plus journey, it was wonderful to be able to move straight into our lovely bedroom.

Our stay was for four nights and being in such a great area, we didn't need to use any public transport or taxis whilst we were there. We used our feet and got to know the area very well. It is so handy to the theatres, good restaurants and museums.

The staff at the Montague are all excellent and went out of their way to make us feel at home. The breakfasts each morning were delicious and on our first day, we had the afternoon tea which was great.

Our bed was just so comfortable and our room was just so quiet. We couldn't fault a thing and if we ever return to London, we will definitely stay at the Montague.

It certainly deserves its high rating on Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: We had a large room, number 41, on the ground floor which was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments following your recent visit to the Montague.

It pleases me to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that we were able to give you your room after a long and tiring journey. I am happy that you found your room to be comfortable and quiet.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always gratifying to receive such lovely comments as yours. Our staff like to ensure that our guests feel comfortable and at home and so I am delighted this was noticed. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to team and that their service is duly recognised.

I was also delighted that you thought the English breakfast in the Blue Door Bistro each day was delicious. And I was equally thrilled that you had the opportunity to experience Afternoon Tea with us and felt it was great.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I hope to welcome you back to the Montague again in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Many had been said about The Montague on The Gardens and indeed, many that had been mentioned are true. The excellent experience started from the day I made the reservation to stay in the hotel. The pleasant voice and the ever accommodating staff of the hotel that willingly listen to you and go out of their way to make the stay a pleasant one, right up to the the time that you checked out. Easily accessible from the tube and the proximity to places of interest definitely a pulling factor for travelers like my wife and I.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

Here at the Montague we aim to provide our guests with a pleasant and memorable stay right from the very beginning to the end. We like to ensure that you have everything you may need during your time with us and so I am delighted that this effort was noticed. Your lovely feedback is most appreciated.

I’m pleased that you found the location suitable to you and your wife.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We enjoyed a six-night stay at the Montague, making a reservation after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. I let the hotel know in advance that we were celebrating our 5th anniversary, and we arrived to find rose petals all over the room, delicious treats, and candles burning in the bathtub.

The concierge staff was most helpful with one person offering an endless array of options and advice. They had helpful maps, too.

The room is very small but lovely. Towels, bed and sheets were all more than adequate.

The only hitch came near the end of our stay when we decided to order an early lunch. The bar starts to serve food at 11:00, and we entered a few moments after to discover that the staff was nowhere close to being ready. We soon learned that no one was in the kitchen and waited quite a while for ice to come up to the space to enjoy with our drinks. When the food arrived, it was perfectly fine for bar food but I might suggest that preparations start earlier if the advertised opening is 11:00.

The location is wonderful - on a quiet street but within walking distance to so many things including Covent Gardens and Piccadilly Circus with a bus stop right out front and the Tube stations a few blocks away. Our room was also very quiet.

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback following your visit to the hotel.

I am honoured that you chose to spend your 5th Anniversary with us.

However, I was extremely sorry to hear that you had some issues with timings of food being served in our bar. I was very disappointed with this as we pride ourselves on great customer service and anything less is not acceptable. I have shared your feedback with my Food and Beverage Manager and he has spoken with the teams to ensure this does not happen again.

I’m pleased that you found your room, although small, to be lovely and were happy with all the amenities provided, especially the romantic turndown.

Your kind comments about the Concierge being helpful during your stay are most appreciated, your feedback is a great motivator for the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Montague over the coming months.

Dirk Crokaert

Been to The Montague on The Gardens? Share your experiences!