“The heart of a wonderful weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Montague on The Gardens

You added The Montague on The Gardens to your Saves list
The Montague on The Gardens
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Montague Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1B 5BJ, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Special Offer
3 nights for 2
Ranked #7 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“The heart of a wonderful weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife arranged a special Birthday weekend in London for me. The idea was to see the sights, take in a show, eat well and be pampered. This was achieved by the the Montague being the heart of the weekend. First of all was the location, we actually walked to most of the places we wanted to see - The British Museum, National Gallery, Covent Garden and especially the Theaters. Secondly was the warm and friendly welcome we received from all the staff at the hotel. From the moment we arrived and were escorted to our wonderful comfortable room. To the excellent dinner and the comforting bar in the evening after we came back from a long walk on a winters night. I cannot recommend this Hotel highly enough and we will be back again very soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your stay with us.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that were able to make your special birthday weekend an occasion to remember.

Our staff take genuine interest in our guests to ensure that they have a welcoming and comfortable stay here at the Montague. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed the dinner in our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro and that you were able to enjoy the bar in the evenings.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We decided to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary in style and chose The Montague. We were not disappointed with our choice. Its a fabulous hotel, and its location being just right for everything to shopping and in our case a trip to the theatre. We were greeted on arrival by Jorge, the concierge. Asked where we could safely park our car, as we had driven down from Essex. He duly took the keys and asked when we would like to pick it up. He then introduced us to other staff members and checked in. As we have stayed in London many many times before and I was looking forward to seeing our room. Again, although a bit on the small side, we were delighted. We decided to stay for lunch. During this time I was intrigued with the history of the hotel. I asked Jorge if he knew of its background. He most certainly did. It was fascinating and he gave me a print out with all the facts. It was like going back in time. I could imagine lots of very well-to-do people enjoying their stay here as the guests of old Lord Montague. The Ski Resort to the side of the hotel was interesting and when we returned in the evening the snow machine was on and guests were enjoying a drink and having lots of fun. We had a super breakfast with the senior waitress looking after us, remembering our name after only meeting us briefly the day before. I could have been one of those guests from times past, I certainly was treated as a 'Lady'. We shall return in the Summer, when it's warmer, and have a stroll in the Gardens. The personal service, chocolates on the bed, shower slippers at the ready - what more could anyone want for a perfect anniversay weekend. Thank you all.

Steve and Carol

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your stay with us.

Many congratulations on your 30th wedding anniversary. I am delighted to read that you were not disappointed with your stay here at the Montague.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am delighted that Jorge was able to assist you with parking your car and telling you about the history of the hotel. I am also pleased to read that our breakfast staff were hospitable. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Jorge and the breakfast staff and that their service is duly recognized.

It is lovely to read that you are planning to visit again in the summer; we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel looks after you in the best traditions of service, but combines that with the integration of modern conveniences to give you the best of both worlds.

I stayed here for several nights whilst working in London. From the moment I walked in staff were friendly, knew who you were, and jumped to fulfil your needs. They managed to avoid the sometimes over smothering feel this can produce, a fine dividing line I admit but one they did well.

The room was small, definitely small, but well equipped with bed, desk, TV, wardrobe and normal room gear. Free water bottles and coffee/tea facilities with biscuits. The bathroom was again small but optimally designed to fit it all in. I cannot say that the room was 'roomy' but it was adequate for my needs.

Breakfasts are good, please order extra eggs freshly cooked, DON'T go for the scrambled egg baking under the hot lights. They even had bacon two ways, the more traditional British rashers of back bacon and crispy American style streaky.

Dinner was great, I just had light meals in the bar and via room service. Freshly cooked and tasty. The bar had a nice ambience and the live piano playing was great.

The location of the hotel was also great for the Bloomsbury area, and the British Museum in particular. It is also close to several tube stops, so unless your bags are very heavy the Underground is the best option.

I loved this place and would return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely feedback following your stay with us.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have exceeded your expectations, and made your stay with us an occasion to remember.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the breakfast and dinner in our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro, as well as the bar in the evening with the live pianist.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were a party of nine, staying at The Montague for 3 nights.
The welcome was very friendly and we felt like coming home.
It is a wonderful place to stay, and we will surely be back.
One word says it all, perfect.
Thank you!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent visit.

Here at the Montague we like to create that home from home feeling, so that our guests feel welcome and comfortable. It gives me great pleasure to read that we were able to provide this for you.

It is delightful to read that you felt your stay was perfect, I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have visited London perhaps a dozen time and stayed at a variety of locations, but we have found our favorite hotel in London and one of our all-time best. I attended a conference near Russel Square in December. We decided to stay at Montague on the Gardens and had a wonderful stay. After a long day of meetings and sight-seeing we felt welcomed home and very relaxed in returning to the Montague. The accomodations were excellent. We are already making plans to return next year.

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor so rather than taking the lift, it was just a short trip up the stai...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback following your stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay here at the Montague. We take pride in ensuring that our guests are well looked after and have a relaxing and memorable stay and so I am delighted that we were able to provide this for you during your visit.

It is so pleasing to hear that the Montague is one of your ‘all time best’ hotels, I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was our fourth stay at this fabulous hotel and yet again we would not hesitate to come back.
the rooms are just beautiful, scrupulously clean, super beds and bedding and so warm........we love it here. The staff are so friendly and helpful and love to have a little chat with you and the food is also lovely too.
We love the location of the hotel as it is such easy walking distance for shopping, Covent Gardens and the British Museum is just across the road.
What a lovely thoughtful gesture to give us home baked biscuits in the room, which were very delicious, how nice was that!
if we had one complaint to make it would be that drinks are very, very expensive but then again you don't need to drink in the bar as there are lots of pubs nearby if you don't mind going out of the hotel and having a little stroll!
Thanks again, we will definatly be back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear guests,

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay with us.

As regular and much valued guests of the Montague we really do appreciate your comments and suggestions. I have noted your comment regarding the prices in our bar and I would like to thank you for this and apologise for any disappointment this may have caused to you. We do conduct quarterly price surveys against hotels of a similar category, in order to keep our prices competitive.

However, I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found the staff to be friendly and helpful. I shall ensure that your kind comments are passed on to the staff and that their service is duly recognised.

toowoomba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have just returned for the umpteenth time to my favourite hotel in London, perhaps my favourite hotel in all the world, the Montague on the Gradens. It is like stepping back into the country house of a family friend. There is a cheerful Welcome Back (by name) from Mustafa and Sebastian on the Concierge desk, and from Marika at Reception. All staff are so friendly and helpful. How do the breakfast staff remember my gluten free toast from one visit to the next? The reception areas and bedrooms are beautifully furnished, the restaurant and wine list are excellent, and the location - at Russell Square, beside the British Museum - is perfect. Thanks again, guys.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments following your stay with us.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations, especially with the service of our staff.

Here at the Montague we aim to give our guests that home from home feeling that is comfortable and memorable and I am delighted that we were able to provide this for you. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to Mustafa, Sebastian and Marika and that their service is duly recognised.

Dirk Crokaert

Been to The Montague on The Gardens? Share your experiences!