“Everything was Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Montague on The Gardens to your Saves list
Hotels.com Expedia.com
The Montague on The Gardens
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Montague Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1B 5BJ, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Special Offer
3 nights for 2
Ranked #6 of 1,071 hotels in London
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Everything was Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had a two day break between Christmas and New Year and we couldn't have made a better choice. We had a luxury room with a truly enormous and very comfortable bed, bathrobes, and slippers, complimentary fruit and biscuits, and a very pretty Xmas tree. The room although at the front of the hotel was beautifully quiet. Our package included a visit to the Ski Lodge and a festive tea; the Ski Lodge was great fun, decked out just like an Alpine ski lodge with snowmen, Rudolph the reindeer and even a flurry of snow! We tasted various vodkas, together with a platter of really nice snacks. The tea was exceptional, sandwiches, scones and so many cakes that we had to have them boxed for the next day; also a great choice of brands of tea, including peppermint and herbal varieties.

One surprise benefit was that the hotel has a humidor and a cigar lounge and terrace (my husband is a smoker and is usually relegated to do this somewhere behind the dustbins in a dirty alleyway). His greatest pleasure was to take a glass of port and a cigarette on the very pleasant terrace at the end of the evening - not something readily available in most hotels.

We were going to the theatre in Drury Lane which is very convenient to the hotel; about ten minutes walk away, as is a good Chinese restaurant, Shanghai Blues.

We had a wonderful relaxing break and the service at all times was first class. Nothing was too much trouble and everybody had a smile for you; we shall certainly visit again.

Room Tip: Room 46; at the front of the hotel but very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful and relaxing break. I was so pleased to read that you also enjoyed our facilities including the Ski Lodge, afternoon tea and the Cigar Terrace. Here at the Montague we like to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible, so I am thrilled that your husband was able to enjoy his port and cigarette in comfort.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

2,079 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Buderim, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My 2 sons and I stayed here for 3 nights the week before Christmas and I couldn't have made a better choice. We got the 3 for 2 deal and had a Master suite.the room was beautiful (it was actually 2 rooms with the huge very comfy bed downstairs)
The location was excellent as it is right next door to the British Museum and located very near a bus stop (normal bus and The Original Tour Bus) so we could get anywhere very quickly.
I wouldn't have enough space to say enough nice things about the staff as they were all very friendly and professional. I had to move my booking twice due to illness just before we were due to go but the receptionist couldn't have been more helpful. The concierge somehow managed to be professional but welcoming (a trick few manage as it is easy to appear either aloof or obsequious but not here)
I have one negative comment but I'm not sure how this could be fixed. Being an old and gracious building the floor is a little squeaky and in the room above us someone with insomnia walked around all night. This didn't effect the 2 of us in the downstairs bedroom but my son did have a problem getting off to sleep.
We had the breakfast here twice which was fabulous as both my sons were happy with the choice of crispy and floppy bacon!!!
Thank you to all the staff for making our trip to London very special

Room Tip: Ask for top floor to prevent squeaky floorboards
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments about your recent visit to the Montague.

I appreciate your feedback with regards to the noise from the floorboards in the room above you. Please accept my apologies for the disturbance this would have caused. I have asked my Chief Engineer to investigate possible ways in which we can improve the floorboards without causing further disruption to our guests.

I was sorry to hear that you were unwell but pleased to read that our reception staff were able to help you with amending your reservation with us. We are very proud of our staff at The Montague and it is always delightful to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

i was treated to a 2-night break, B&B and one night's dinner. the room i believe was a delux room which included towel robe and slippers. WOW. the staff were pleasant and friendly and nothing was too much. we even got a box of (4) biscuits which were delicious. we chose for our meal to stick to the set menu, but had choice of a la carte also, which meant if we went over the price we would be charged the difference. the food was fantastic, i had the haddock fishcake, but instead of poached egg was given tartar sauce as i had explained i was unable to have egg. i then had prawn stroganoff, which i was unable to finish as i wanted to leave room for the cheesecake. would definitely recommend. the restaurant The Blue Door Bistro, is also available to non-residents.

Room Tip: is located just opposite/adjacent to the British Museum on Montague Street. is easily walking dista...
Dear guest,

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have exceeded your expectations, and made your birthday stay with us an occasion to remember.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your meal at our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro and found the food to be fantastic.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

It was Boxing Day. We'd had a wonderful Christmas at the Montague, as usual, and were just leaving.
Then a woman who was just leaving herself suddenly felt unwell (she was 'great with child' so to speak). Immediately, the concierge said, "I'll take you to Accident and Emergency (or ER for American readers) in my car." So he went and got his car, and off they went.

I never knew what happened after that, but I imagine he stayed there with her, or at least until her friends and family arrived.

Some hotels might have called for a cab for her, or even an ambulance, perhaps, but not the Montague though. They looked after her themselves. Not because they're imbued with some kind of 'service culture', but because that's what they do. They treat people as people, and are people themselves.

It feels in retrospect like a new twist on a story I seem to remember reading somewhere, about 'no room at the inn'. Here, there is always room, so to speak. That's why we go.

Merry Christmas, then, and a Happy New Year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay.

It pleases me to read that you had a wonderful Christmas with us and I am delighted to tell you that the young pregnant lady is well recovered.

Here at the Montague our staff take genuine interest in the experience that is given to our guests. We like to ensure they are comfortable and provide a home from home feeling.

new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

The hotel was fantastic !! Warm and friendly , the rooms were inviting , up to date and spacious . The staff was friendly , professional and lovely to deal with . My daughter needed gluten free and they could not be more helpful and acommadating ! Highly , highly recommend this hotel for all! Stayed with my two teens and they loved the hotel and the staff !

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback about your recent visit to the Montague.

I am thrilled to read that you felt the hotel was fantastic; being warm and friendly and that you enjoyed your room.

We are very proud of our team at The Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I am delighted that we were able to accommodate your daughter with her dietary requirements. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I would like to thank you personally for your kind recommendation and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I have been at the Montague in several occasions, with guests and on my own and I never cease to be surprised by the level of genuine politeness, friendliness and professionalism of the staff at the Montague, in any occasion, whether for dinner or afternoon tea.

The staff takes care of you as if you were not just a customer, but the owner of the hotel! They are attentive to the point of anticipating wishes but without being intrusive.

I have taken some friends recently there for tea and the service was impeccable and generous. We had an entire room close to the conservatory, with a beautiful view on the private garden. The lady who attended us was delightfully polite. We were left to enjoy our tea as if in our own private home, without any time limit or pressing service (often found on more renowned but not necessarily worthy London establishments). The tea and the food was delicious and in particular, the atmosphere was warm yet refined. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments about your recent visit to the Montague.

As a regular and much-valued guest, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations. I am delighted to read that you found the afternoon tea and food to be delicious.

Our staff take genuine interest in our guests and we try to make their stay with us one that is comfortable and memorable. We are very proud of our team and it is always pleasing to receive such kind and complimentary comments as yours.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We just returned from 6 days in London staying at the Montague hotel for the first time. We have been to London before but never at the Montague and I must say this will not be the last time we stay there. We were not only impressed with the hotel itself; warm comfortable and inviting but the staff were unbelievably friendly and accommodating.
We have travelled extensively for both business & pleasure and have been to some of the best hotels in the world and the Montague would rate as one of the best.
This trip was just for our pleasure and staying at the Montague just added to our overall enjoyment of London.
The Montague should commended for the way they choose their staff. The hotel is in a great location and is close enought to walk to many places.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a quiet street so all rooms would be fine
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you will be staying with us again and that you found the hotel to be warm, comfortable and inviting.

We are very proud of our team at The Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind and complimentary comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

Dirk Crokaert

Been to The Montague on The Gardens? Share your experiences!