“beautiful 40th birthday treat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Montague on The Gardens

Save Saved
You added The Montague on The Gardens to your Saves list
The Montague on The Gardens
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Montague Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1B 5BJ, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Special Offer
Free Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 1,073 hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“beautiful 40th birthday treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

i was treated to a 2-night break, B&B and one night's dinner. the room i believe was a delux room which included towel robe and slippers. WOW. the staff were pleasant and friendly and nothing was too much. we even got a box of (4) biscuits which were delicious. we chose for our meal to stick to the set menu, but had choice of a la carte also, which meant if we went over the price we would be charged the difference. the food was fantastic, i had the haddock fishcake, but instead of poached egg was given tartar sauce as i had explained i was unable to have egg. i then had prawn stroganoff, which i was unable to finish as i wanted to leave room for the cheesecake. would definitely recommend. the restaurant The Blue Door Bistro, is also available to non-residents.

Room Tip: is located just opposite/adjacent to the British Museum on Montague Street. is easily walking dista...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have exceeded your expectations, and made your birthday stay with us an occasion to remember.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your meal at our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro and found the food to be fantastic.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

2,219 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

It was Boxing Day. We'd had a wonderful Christmas at the Montague, as usual, and were just leaving.
Then a woman who was just leaving herself suddenly felt unwell (she was 'great with child' so to speak). Immediately, the concierge said, "I'll take you to Accident and Emergency (or ER for American readers) in my car." So he went and got his car, and off they went.

I never knew what happened after that, but I imagine he stayed there with her, or at least until her friends and family arrived.

Some hotels might have called for a cab for her, or even an ambulance, perhaps, but not the Montague though. They looked after her themselves. Not because they're imbued with some kind of 'service culture', but because that's what they do. They treat people as people, and are people themselves.

It feels in retrospect like a new twist on a story I seem to remember reading somewhere, about 'no room at the inn'. Here, there is always room, so to speak. That's why we go.

Merry Christmas, then, and a Happy New Year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay.

It pleases me to read that you had a wonderful Christmas with us and I am delighted to tell you that the young pregnant lady is well recovered.

Here at the Montague our staff take genuine interest in the experience that is given to our guests. We like to ensure they are comfortable and provide a home from home feeling.

new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

The hotel was fantastic !! Warm and friendly , the rooms were inviting , up to date and spacious . The staff was friendly , professional and lovely to deal with . My daughter needed gluten free and they could not be more helpful and acommadating ! Highly , highly recommend this hotel for all! Stayed with my two teens and they loved the hotel and the staff !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback about your recent visit to the Montague.

I am thrilled to read that you felt the hotel was fantastic; being warm and friendly and that you enjoyed your room.

We are very proud of our team at The Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I am delighted that we were able to accommodate your daughter with her dietary requirements. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I would like to thank you personally for your kind recommendation and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I have been at the Montague in several occasions, with guests and on my own and I never cease to be surprised by the level of genuine politeness, friendliness and professionalism of the staff at the Montague, in any occasion, whether for dinner or afternoon tea.

The staff takes care of you as if you were not just a customer, but the owner of the hotel! They are attentive to the point of anticipating wishes but without being intrusive.

I have taken some friends recently there for tea and the service was impeccable and generous. We had an entire room close to the conservatory, with a beautiful view on the private garden. The lady who attended us was delightfully polite. We were left to enjoy our tea as if in our own private home, without any time limit or pressing service (often found on more renowned but not necessarily worthy London establishments). The tea and the food was delicious and in particular, the atmosphere was warm yet refined. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments about your recent visit to the Montague.

As a regular and much-valued guest, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations. I am delighted to read that you found the afternoon tea and food to be delicious.

Our staff take genuine interest in our guests and we try to make their stay with us one that is comfortable and memorable. We are very proud of our team and it is always pleasing to receive such kind and complimentary comments as yours.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We just returned from 6 days in London staying at the Montague hotel for the first time. We have been to London before but never at the Montague and I must say this will not be the last time we stay there. We were not only impressed with the hotel itself; warm comfortable and inviting but the staff were unbelievably friendly and accommodating.
We have travelled extensively for both business & pleasure and have been to some of the best hotels in the world and the Montague would rate as one of the best.
This trip was just for our pleasure and staying at the Montague just added to our overall enjoyment of London.
The Montague should commended for the way they choose their staff. The hotel is in a great location and is close enought to walk to many places.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a quiet street so all rooms would be fine
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you will be staying with us again and that you found the hotel to be warm, comfortable and inviting.

We are very proud of our team at The Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind and complimentary comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

My family spent a weekend at The Montague for a catch up with family living in London.There was 10 of us in total from Ireland.We all booked suites because hotel rooms in London are usually quite small,which was expected anyway.Our room,which was for four,was nevertheless of a good size and nicely decorated.The cleaning service was very good.Room service was also good,we ordered it on a number of occasions.Breakfast in the mornings was a little chaotic but always very good quality and tasty.There was a nice variety of foods to choose from.We dined at the hotel on both evenings,first evening with family,the second separately.Service was always very good.Meals were superb.All staff were very friendly and helpful.In honestly,there isn't a very big lounge to chill out and chat with family,so we decided to go into the city for drinks at night instead.It was fine though,because the hotel did have a small frame so we didn't expect it to be that big.Overall it's a nice cozy little hotel,service is outstanding.We all had an enjoyable weekend.!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay with us here at the Montague.

It pleases me to read that you were happy with the cleanliness, decoration and size of your room. I was also thrilled to read that you enjoyed our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro and found the service and meals to be superb.

Thank you for your kind comments about the hotel being cosy with outstanding service, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I chose the hotel because I was tied to this location as my friend was in a nearby hotel and it had very good reviews.

My overall experience was perfect! the room was as small as I had expected a single room in London to be, but nevertheless the way it has been organised and decorated made up for it! I actually enjoyed lazing around the room! It also didnt feel short on amenities, I felt they actually cared their guests enjoyed the rooms.

The concierge and reception were the perfect combination of friendly and professional. The doorman was very thoughtful and helpful. I didnt use the restaurant, but I had coffee in the lobby area, it was a pleasant place to set in.

I would absolutely love to came back here again. I actually had to come back to London the week after, and I actually did try to book again in this hotel but sadly it was so short notice and there were no availabilities.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments about your recent visit to the Montague.

I’m thrilled to read that you felt your experience with us was perfect. Our staff take genuine interest in our guests and aim to make them feel at home and ensure that they have everything they may need during their stay. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to the Concierge and Reception teams and that their service is duly recognised.

Dirk Crokaert

Been to The Montague on The Gardens? Share your experiences!