“don't think about it , book!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Montague on The Gardens

Save Saved
You added The Montague on The Gardens to your Saves list
The Montague on The Gardens
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Montague Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1B 5BJ, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Special Offer
3 nights for 2
Ranked #7 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Melbourne
“don't think about it , book!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

my partner and I stayed here for 3 nights recently we were totally blown away by the staff and the service they provide. we have never felt so cared for in a hotel before.
nothing was too much trouble . I was unwell and all efforts were made to help me get up and about quickly including helping to find a doctor. We enjoyed our meal in the bistro and they also went out of their way to accommodate my fussy eating request!!
noting my partners birthday and our first year wedding anniversary was so special to us as a gay couple. ( married in NYC) last year.
Yes the rooms are small but so fantastically appointed I cannot imagine there is anything you could want that's not provided.
We were thrilled with our experience and will stay nowhere else in London in future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us.

Congratulations on your first wedding anniversary. Here at the Montague we aim to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible and ensure they have everything they may need. I’m sorry to read that you were not feeling too well but am glad that the staff were able to help with a doctor and hope that it didn’t interrupt your stay too much.

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant; the Blue Door Bistro and that you had a memorable time celebrating your partner’s birthday and your anniversary.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

It wasn't immediately obvious to me why the Montague was ranked so high. Their strengths are obvious enough: the location on Russell Square is fantastic, the staff is both extremely friendly and very professional, the period building is lovely, and even the finish of the decorations where most hotels let you down tells the story of people who really know and love their business. So far so good. But then there are other things that should bring the points down. For one thing, my single room was so tiny that the double bed barely fit in. Moreover, the decor was like some turquoise imitation rococo more fitting for a hospitality establishment of another kind. The same overdone sense of recreated (rather than renovated) style is repeated in the lobby and other common rooms. But miraculously the Montague pulls it off. So what should be a flaw, isn't. The Montague is a very good hotel, there is no doubt about that, but in addition it has a sense of humour. The room isn't tiny after all, but 'romantic'. The turquoise turns out to be 'fun' rather than tasteless. And I have never seen "do not disturb" traffic lights that you can operate from your bedside! Highly recommended to anyone tired of standardised corporate monotony.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was sorry to hear that you were not entirely happy with the room allocated. I would like to apologise for the disappointment and inconvenience this caused to you. Being an older individually decorated boutique property, our rooms, sizes and décor do vary and I do appreciate that the styles may not be to everyone’s tastes.

However, I was delighted to read your kind comments about the staff being extremely friendly and professional, we are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such feedback as yours.

I would like to personally thank you for your kind recommendation and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband I spent our second stay at the Montague over the Thanksgiving (USA) week. It was our second visit to the Montague and we were in room 318, which was street facing but we weren't bothered by any street noise. The hotel is lovely, the room was cozy and very comfortable, and the location is perfect for our interests. But the very best thing about the Montague is the staff. I can't say enough about their attentiveness, service, and friendliness. They go out of their way to make sure you have what you need when you need it - be it an umbrella, a taxi, turn down service, or a glass (or two...) of wine! We have stayed in different hotels all over London, but finally we have found our home away from home - the Montague.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear guest,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your second stay with us. Here at the Montague, we like to make our guests stay as comfortable and memorable as possible and create that home from home feeling. I’m thrilled to read that we were able to provide this for you. We are very proud of our staff and it pleases me to read your kind comments about them.

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed three nights at the Montague. The Hotel is decorated with classic old European style. Very warm and beautifull. The rooms are cozy, decorated and clean. We enjoyed very much from the staff which were welcoming and effective. Only 5 minutes walking from Russel Sq. station. Definitely one of the best boutique hotels in London.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent visit to the Montague on the Gardens hotel.

I was thrilled to read that you found the hotel to be warm and beautiful and that your room was cozy and clean. It pleases me to read that you thought the staff were welcoming and helpful. We are very proud of our staff and so it is lovely to hear such comments as yours.

Thank you for your kind comment that the Montague is one of the best boutique hotels in London. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for a work xmas party. Lovely hotel in a great location in Bloomsbury. The staff were great, very friendly and gave good service. The room was very comfortable although it was small. The breakfast was very good.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you found the staff to be friendly and that they provided a good service during your stay. We are very proud of our staff so I am pleased to read your kind comments. I’m also happy to read that your room was comfortable and you enjoyed the breakfast.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Montague in the future.

Blairgowrie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Our first stay at this hotel and selected due to its location close to West End and a venue I was giving a lecture at. The website was informative and images matched-up well to reality. A very straightforward booking process.

The location was perfect-virtually opposite British Museum and a short walk to Oxford Street.

We were made to feel extremely welcome from the moment we arrived-the standard of service and friendly attitude ofthe staff was one of the most memorable aspects of the stay.

Our room was comfortable and well furnished and we lacked for nothing in terms of amenities.

The restaurant was excellent - breakfast and dinner- both in terms of quality and choice of dishes and service. Prices were of a moderate level but not excessive,

The hotel was decorated for Christmas and gave the impression of stepping into a by-gone elegant age.

We shall certainly look to return on a future trip to London.

Room Tip: Point out to cabbie this is next to British Museum as we were originally taken to the wrong Montague...
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay here at the Montague.

I was delighted to read that you found the website to be informative, the booking process straightforward and the restaurant excellent.

Our staff take genuine interest in ensuring our guests have everything they need to have a pleasurable stay and so I’m glad that all amenities were provided for you. It pleases me to read that you found the service and friendly attitudes of the staff to be a memorable aspect of your stay.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Ashfield, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We arrived late in the evening from a day of travel to find our bedroom and bath decorated in rose petals, candles, flowers and treats to celebrate our 29th anniversary! We stayed for 7 nights, and the staff never walked by without a smile or welcoming greeting. I spent a bit of time alone there as well, since we combined a business trip with our celebration, and the friendliness of the staff made me very comfortable dining alone. The food was delicious, the service was perfect, and the room was always very clean. The Montague provided daily late afternoon hors d'oeuvre, and nightly turndown with pillow chocolates! We loved the in room tea availability each day. All of the staff were extremely friendly and eager to please, making our visit very pleasant. I would definitely choose to stay here again on the next trip!
S. Reynolds

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent visit to the Montague on the Gardens hotel.

Congratulations on your 29th anniversary, it pleases me to read that you enjoyed the romantic turndown that was arranged for you. Our staff take genuine interest in our guests and we like to make them feel as comfortable as possible in every way and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. We are very proud of our staff at the Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours.

I’m delighted to read that you found the food to be delicious and your room very clean.

Dirk Crokaert

Been to The Montague on The Gardens? Share your experiences!