“once again great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Montague on The Gardens

Save Saved
You added The Montague on The Gardens to your Saves list
The Montague on The Gardens
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Montague Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1B 5BJ, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Special Offer
3 nights for 2
Ranked #6 of 1,069 hotels in London
bury st edmunds
“once again great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have stayed here on many occasions, my oldest friend stays there all the time, it is truly a gem, the staff make it truly great, they are all friendly and helpfull. I was therejust yesterday. The amosphere is classically ellegant. The rooms have been styled with gentle elegance and very comfortable, the only downside like many fine hotels, they do not have really bight lighting available in the bathroom, for old gentlemen like myself, no problem, ladies need to see to do their hair and make up. All in all a delight to return again and again, great selection of wine and champagne at a cosy comfortable bar and the afternoon tea, is not to be missed.

Room Tip: They have garden rooms which are lovely no need to go in the lift
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your complimentary comments regarding your recent stay at the Montague.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations. We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind feedback.

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed our selection of wine and champagne in our bar and that you would recommend our afternoon tea.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague on the Gardens soon.

2,067 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I managed to get a great deal for this hotel and couldn't have been happier. From an earlier than expected room being ready for me, to the wonderfully responsive and polite concierge staff, from the coffee freely available in the lounge to the cosy and comfortable bedroom overlooking the gardens, it was a joy to stay here. I would be happy paying the full rate for what was a lovely stay. I came and went a few times doing the day and their attention to detail and to me as a customer never waned or seemed forced - a pleasure. So easy to get to and a nice walk to covent garden and around Bloomsbury.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay here at the Montague and that you appreciated the room being ready earlier for you. We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague on the Gardens in the near future.

South Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights to take in 2 shows and Remembrance Sunday at the cenotaph. We have passed the hotel when staying in other hotels in the locality and thought it was time to try it. We weren't disappointed and will definitely stay here again, We were greeted with a warm welcome plus complimentary tea and cookies, We had a room at the back overlooking the garden and although it was small it was beautifully furnished with a lovely bathroom with mood lighting. Complimentary bottled water is provided as well as tea and coffee. When the maid came in to do the turn down service she changed the towels for the 2nd time that day, emptied the bin and cleaned the bath and sinks again! Robes and slippers are provided as well as luxury toiletries and all the usual appliances, The bed and pillows were very comfortable, the air con was quiet and we never heard a sound all night, The breakfast was very good with very attentive staff. The location is excellent for us as we prefer to walk rather than using the tube - it's 20 mins from Kings Cross and 15 mins from Covent Garden. We had afternoon tea at a famous store in Knightsbridge but wished we'd have taken it in the hotel - it looked far superior.
This hotel receives and deserves high praise and I would recommend it for something a bit special and different to the usual hotel chains,

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet and have a nice view of the garden.
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us at the Montague.

I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you appreciated the warm welcome, tea and cookies we provided. Here at the Montague, our staff take pride in all that they do to provide a comfortable and memorable stay for all of our guests, I am glad to read that these expectations were met.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Montague on the Gardens to stay with us or to enjoy an afternoon tea.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I absolutely LOVED my stay at the Montague on the Gardens. The hotel was so quaint and charming and the room was wonderful. I loved the furnishings, my bed was divine, and it was so wonderful to return at the end of my very busy days to such a delightful room. I also loved the care taken to turn down my bed each day - what a treat!

All of the staff were great but I must make special mention of the concierge, Jorge, who was FABULOUS!!!!! He was extremely helpful with every request and really went out of this way to provide directions, custom made maps, suggestions, etc. I wish every hotel had someone of his calibre. You can tell he really wants to make sure people enjoy their stay and that he loves helping guests. He really is an asset to the hotel and is a true gem. I also really appreciated the help the reservation staff gave me even before I arrived. They always replied very promptly and gave me very helpful information on the various options re: how to get to the hotel from the airport (including the ease of each when lugging a very heavy suitcase!) and information on the safety of certain areas I was considering going to (i.e. theatre district) when travelling alone.

On a more logistical note, I also loved the location for a number of reasons: I felt very safe even when coming back to the hotel later at night, it was about a five minute walk to Russel Square tube station, a five minute walk to major bus routes and was within a nice walking distance to SOHO and other areas. I hope to return to London one day in the not so distant future and will certainly chose to stay there again!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your stay at the Montague on the Gardens.

We take genuine interest in the comfort and experience that is given to our guests right from the moment they book and so I was pleased to read that our staff were able to make your stay memorable, especially Jorge and our reservations team. I will ensure that their service is duly recognised.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Bath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

When my wife and I stay at the Montague, we look forward to a special experience - and it delivers.

From the moment of arrival/check-in we are made to feel welcome. All staff (I can't pick out one in particular) were friendly, efficient, knowledgeable in their area and seemed genuinely to care about meeting our requirements/desires in order to make our stay as pleasant as possible.

The complimentary biscuits and canapés were much appreciated and of the highest quality (and very indulgent). The food we had (just breakfast, plus an afternoon tea) were also of high quality and served with both expertise and a smile.

Overall, we were more than pleased with our stay and will certainly stay again. Dirk Crockaert (and Red Carnation Hotels) should be proud of the team he has put together in the Montague.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding your stay at the Montague.

It made me happy to read that you were pleased with the service given by our staff and that you were made to feel welcome from the moment you checked in. Here at the Montague we aim to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible and I am glad that we were able to do this, as we had done for your previous visits.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the biscuits and canapés as well as the afternoon tea.

I am indeed very proud of the staff and will pass on your complimentary comments. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Amazing service, all staff very friendly and welcoming. Food and wine in the restaurant are very good and the bar is a very relaxing place. The location is a walkable distance from Euston station of about 10 minutes and the hotel is situated in a peaceful street in Bloomsbury. In fact surprisingly peaceful as it is extremely close to the British museum and easy walking distance to the theatres, covent garden, the National Gallery etc. An oasis of calm in a frenetic city. Our room was quite small as it was the standard type but very well appointed. Overall this is the best hotel we have stayed in, in many trips to London so although it can be pricey, it is definitely worth it. The same family run other London hotels such as 41and The Milestone which we will check out if we need a different location as the ethos seems very good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us.

We are very proud of our staff at The Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of the service and our facilities and so I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the food and drink in the Blue Door Bistro and that you were able to relax in the bar.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Montague on the Gardens or indeed our sister hotels; 41 and the Milestone.

Manchester UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is an excellent hotel which offers guests an exceptionally warm welcome and provides an impressive degree of comfort. Everyone associated with the hotel appears genuinely proud…justifiably so…of what it has to offer and does everything possible to make you feel welcome and valued. This alone goes a long way to make for an extremely enjoyable stay.
The location is excellent. Even though you are literally just round the corner from The British Museum and only a short walk from all the bustle of Trafalgar Square, the overriding ambience is one of calm and tranquillity. It’s a very traditional hotel in the best sense of the word and just the sort of place it feels good to get back to at the end of a busy day’s sight seeing.
The hotel’s facilities are excellent. It has comfortable sitting areas, a great bar and a heated terrace should you want to take the air without going too far. There is a bistro attached to the hotel; we ate there a couple of times and on both occasions the food and wine were excellent. Our room was not particularly large but very comfortable and luxurious enough for anyone’s tastes.
You would go a long way to find a more welcoming hotel anywhere and it’s certainly one we’ll be staying in again.

Room Tip: All rooms seem luxurious and comfortable but when it comes to size I suspect you get what you pay fo...
Dear guest,

Thank you for your complimentary review regarding your stay at the Montague on the Gardens.

Here at the Montague, we aim to provide our guests with a stay that is both comfortable and memorable. It pleases me to know that we were able to provide this for you. I am also delighted to read that you were able to enjoy our facilities including the bar, heated (cigar) terrace and restaurant and that you felt your meal and wine were both excellent.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Been to The Montague on The Gardens? Share your experiences!