“Very good hotel - staff was even better” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #299 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lancaster, PA
“Very good hotel - staff was even better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had my doubts about staying at the Novotel Waterloo since it was much more modern than hotels we usually stay at, but the hotel was extremely comfortable. We had an executive room which was very large by European standards, with a view of the London Eye and Lambeth Palace. The beds, including the fold out sofa for our son, were very comfortable. They had just started free Wifi during our visit, which came in very handy. The was not a great amount of natural light but the room was very quiet considering it sat on a major roadway

The location was excellent, with a seven minute walk to Lambeth North tube station, and a ten minute walk to Westminster Abbey or the London Eye, It is on the south side of the river so it was quieter and cheaper than the north side.

Our travel agent arranged for us to have a free breakfast, which was very nice. The breakfast buffet was excellent, with a large choice of hot and cold foods. I do not know if I would have paid 15.99 pounds per person for it, but it was very good.

We had dinner one night in the restaurant and the phone was very good and the prices reasonable. We hung out almost every night in the lounge, which has full food service and a good drink menu.

The staff of the hotel was really what raised this hotel from "very good" to "excellent" for us. A multi-national staff, they were extremely knowledgeable about the area and anything else we asked about and seemed very happy to help. I think there was exactly one staff member in the course of 8 days who did not greet us with a smile.

Olga in the dining room started every morning for us with a beautiful smile (and amazing hot chocolate.) Sarah at the front desk check us in and out with efficiency and was extremely helpful. Laura and Signorina Piccolo in the bar/lounge (sorry, I forgot her first name) were absolutely charming and skilled. While they stood us for our family, all of the staff very attentive.

We have found our place to stay to stay in London.

Room Tip: Ask fora room facing Lambeth Palace. The nighttime view of the London Eye is wonderful.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
bernard p, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you very much for this very nice review of our property following your stay and I am also very grateful for this excellent 5 star rating.
It is a real pleasure to see that you enjoyed our comfortable rooms, our food offer and that our staff was always very courteous as well as polite. I am also very glad to see that our central location, a minutes’ walk away from the Lambeth station and very close to local attractions such as Westminster was so convenient to you.
Finally I will be very pleased to extend your big thanks to our staff and I am so glad that our service was so great.
We look forward to welcoming you back and your family for your future visit in London and would indeed recommend to go on the Novotel website to get the best rates and also get a promotional price on breakfast at £9.95 per person (and children under 16 eat free for breakfast!).

Bernard Panisse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Polish first
Redcar, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed for four nights (Thurs., Fri., Sat., Sun.) in room overlooking Lambeth Palace Gardens, as requested. Took breakfast each day and twice took evening meal in the restaurant. Not our first stay as we find this hotel well-positioned for a stroll along the embankment and convenient for bus services to Vauxhall (for Kings Cross) and Kennington, (where we visit family.) More than happy with all aspects of the hotel. Service particularly good even when hotel is busy, as on this occasion.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you so much for your positive comments regarding your stay at Novotel London Waterloo.

Langley City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

great location close to tube station and quick walking distance to parliament and Westminster abbey! having my morning coffee in the cloister at the abbey was a treat and I didn't even have to be awake to make it there safely! friendly helpful front desk staff, nice quiet hotel, very modern will stay here again on my next trip! don't forget out check out the garden museum across the street at Lambeth palace especially if you had a stressful day, beautiful tranquil gardens.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
It is such a great satisfaction to see that you appreciated our central location, making it the perfect base to discover London. I am also very pleased to read that you found the service being so friendly.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel London Waterloo for your next stay in London.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is alright. The staff are helpful and although the restuarant menu is limited, the food is really nice. Rooms are clean and functional. Not much nearby, but you can walk down towards the London Eye where there are plenty of eating places.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
bernard p, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review following your stay at our hotel, we are very appreciative of your feedback.
I am so pleased to read that our convenient location, on the doorstep to the River Thames and a couple of minutes’ walk away from Lambeth station was perfect for you.
We really look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel London Waterloo for your next trip in London.
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Perfect hotel for location as it was within minutes walk from Lambeth North tube station and even better a bus stop directly outside the hotel regularly going to Oxford/Piccadilly Circus etc. (I think it is the number 9). No problem with noise at night and felt safe walking back at night in the area as it was directly next to a police station. We stayed in a standard room, good sized bed and for the price we paid we thought value for money. Would recommend for anyone prioritising location over luxury. Although saying that very nice lobby, restaurant (only used for breakfast) and guessing higher floor rooms are posher!

Room Tip: Quiet side of the hotel is cheaper but no view View side more expensive able to see Big Ben
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking time to review your experience online following your stay at the Novotel London Waterloo.
It is always a great satisfaction to see that you liked our excellent location, a minute away from Parliament Square and other local attractions.It is true that the No.3 bus stop is the just outside the hotel and it is very convenient if you want to explore the city as it stopping at Wesminster, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus and Oxford Street.
I am particularly glad to see that you liked our room, you can ask next time to have one with the view on Big Ben (subject to availability).
We look forward to welcoming you back for your future visit in London and would indeed recommend to go on the Novotel website to get the best rates and also get a promotional price on breakfast at £9.95 per person.
Haverhill, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I'll start by what I expect in a hotel - first, I'm not a ritz carlton type of guy. I will save money walking a few extra blocks. I take public transportation. I shop around for deals.
Our traveling party was myself, my pregnant wife, my 20 month old daughter and our 17 and 18 year old cousins. My immediate expectations - safe, convenient location, reasonably priced. We stayed 4 nights.
Good:
Not a bad walk from the tube - about 10 minutes. However, we only took the tube on arrival to the hotel and on the way to Heathrow. There is a bus stop just outside and the Big Bus Tour stops there (we bought 48 hr pass, works great for families with strollers). It's not a bad walk to parliament/w. abbey/eye either - 10-15 min. I'm a runner and my morning runs included buckingham palace, big ben, parliament, the eye etc - very cool. The staff was very nice - polite and mindful of our time. The restaurant is decent, we used it for dinner twice when we didn't feel like going back out. The room was fairly spacious for a city hotel, which was great coming from a cramped room in Paris. Decent mattress. Everything was very clean, appearance is kind of art deco-ish but fairly modern in appearance. I used their laundry service, it was quick and the clothes came out fine. The rooms were fairly quiet - didn't pick up much from the hallways or adjoining rooms. The price was great - we paid significantly less that the stated room rate. I should note that I would not have paid the stated room rate. They had a kids toy room, which our daughter loved.
Bad:
There are almost no restaurants(or stores) in the immediate area. It's kind of in a dead zone. We ended up walking north up the Thames past big ben whenever we wanted to eat dinner. Breakfast is 16 p, which is more that we paid for almost every other meal. The tube station could have been a little closer, but the bus stops made up for it.

I wanted to note that I observed a couple of very finicky customers who were less than gracious to the staff. If I had paid full rate maybe I'd be a little more picky, but these looked like business travelers whose were dining on their company's dime. That said, my impression of the staff was that they were always there for us - professional, prompt and courteous. I'll look this hotel up on my next trip to London and I'll definitely consider Novotel in general.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for this excellent review of the Novotel London Waterloo and I am very grateful for this superb 5 star rating.
I am very pleased that our central location was so convenient to you; on the doorstep to the River Thames and just a couple of minutes walk away from some of London’s most famous landmarks such as Big Ben and London Eye. Also, I particularly pleased that enjoyed our room, our restaurant and that your daughter enjoyed our kids area.. Finally, it is a great satisfaction to see that you will choose us again and that you are recommending us to others.
It was our pleasure to look after you and we hope to welcome you back hopefully for your next trip to London and would indeed recommend to go on the Novotel website to get the best rates and also get a promotional price on breakfast at £9.95 per person (and children under 16 eat free for breakfast!). And don't forget that we are offering free WIFI...
Kind regards
Hollviken, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Hotel has a great location and at least the reception is bright and welcoming. The hallways are worn down and I think were under renovation - not quite clear as there didn’t seem to be any activity renovation’wise but there was a sign stating that this was the case. My colleague who stayed there a few years ago claimed that the sign was already up back then. The room a bit worn down, but serviceable. From a business point of view, main critic would be that there was no power plug by the desk and no free internet in room or in lobby. From a personal point of view - prefer a shower instead standing in a bathtub. Restaurant / bar staff great and saved the stay. Thanks Laura and colleagues. Would I return ? For an overnight stay - sure, for longer - doubtful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
bernard p, General Manager at Novotel London Waterloo, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you very much you for taking the time to review our property online following your stay.
It is such a great satisfaction to see that you appreciated our central location, making it the perfect base to discover London. I am also very pleased to read your positive comment regarding the service you received at the bar and restaurant.
Yes we are refurbishing our corridors and the work will be finished by the end of June and even more good new we will offer free WIFI from the end of June too.
Bernard Panisse

Been to Novotel London Waterloo? Share your experiences!