“Disgusting grot” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Boston Manor Hotel

Save Saved
You added Boston Manor Hotel to your Saves list
Boston Manor Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   146-152 Boston Road | Hanwell, Ealing, London W7 2HJ, England   |
Ranked #689 of 1,075 hotels in London
Dartford, United Kingdom
“Disgusting grot”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My friend and I booked to stay at this 'hotel' for the night whilst we attended the rugby for the weekend. When we arrived, the front of the hotel looked more like a cab office but I was pleased to see that the back entrance looked more welcoming. We parked up and went in to reception to find a waiting lounge that had seen better days and a front desk that looked more like a cab office. The gentleman behind the desk was friendly enough and took our payment for the room. Usually you don't pay until you depart most hotels and now I know why, because nobody would pay to stay here.

We got taken to our room which was a 'deluxe' twin room. After my stay, I wonder what the other rooms were like if ours was considered a deluxe. The room was stale looking, with old, tired red curtains up at the window. The furniture was tired and from the 1970s. The wardrobe was missing a handle, the towel rail was hanging off the wall and there was a hair in my friend's bed, as well as on the toilet roll. We consoled ourselves with the fact we were only there one night and would be out most of the day/evening. It was just somewhere to sleep.

How wrong could we be. When we arrived back at the hotel after 9pm, we were confronted with a large group of people attending a function at the hotel. "Not to worry, I'm sure we won't here them" I said to my friend. Wrong again. Although the windows appeared to be double glazed, our 'deluxe' room was next door to the function room and the music vibrated the walls and the people attending were directly under our window. Not only that, when we entered our room, the room stank of cooking oil and it was hard to catch your breath. My friend, who is asthmatic, struggled and when the music and guests left after 11pm, I opened all the windows for some fresh air, despite the continuing noise. To top off our night, we appeared to be housed above the kitchen and there was clattering and banging going on until midnight, vibrating our beds.

Eventually we fell asleep just before 1am, only to be woken by the kitchen staff at 7am preparing the breakfast.

We got up and decided we just wanted to go home so packed up our things and went down to reception. I complained to another gentleman, whom I am convinced, despite his denials, that he was the manager, only to be met with a smirk, saying they didn't have any cooking last night so our room couldn't have smelt like cooking oil and that it was a saturday night and they have functions all the time. I told him I was wholly dissatisfied with the hotel and had not slept well at all and wished for my money back as they had not informed us when we checked in that our room was next door to the function room and that they had a party on that evening.

I was met with further smirks and unsatisfactory excuses and comments. I asked finally if he would refund me or not to which he replied he would not. I left in disgust.

I cannot understand why there are positive reviews for this place and can honestly say I think they must be fake and/or comments from family members. There is no other reason why in my eyes they could possibly have enjoyed there stay here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all, book at another hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Rajsondh, Guest Relations Manager at Boston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. But after checking with my staff, we have to conclude that most of these complaints are either groundless or much exaggerated, and we do not see how they merit a refund.

Guests at our function were not still leaving the hotel after 11.00. They had departed soon after 10.30. The person on reception was not the manager. He was the night-receptionist, and he could have attended to your problems, if you had raised them with him.

Any room close to a kitchen will be affected by some degree of noise-disturbance after 7am. The issue of ageing room-furnishings is raised from time to time. We acknowledge this limitation, but feel that it does not greatly inhibit the enjoyment of one’s stay, or run counter to our general image as ‘clean and comfortable’.

Finally, if you find it surprising that anyone could enjoy their stay in our hotel, here is an appreciative letter from someone who was staying there the same night:

'Good clean rooms, helpful staff. Perfect for an event at Twickenham. Excellent value for money. A lovely restaurant although a little small for the number of people but didn't mind waiting at all.'

And incidentally the hotel was fully-booked on that date.

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed recently here staff very helpful and nice but the hotel itself leaves an awful lot to be desired. Not very clean, stained bedding, shower freezing then burning you, noisy at night uncomfortable bed, not enough room at breakfast as h hotel was full, breakfast was indeed a 'full English' but it was not, 1 Person serving for breakfast poor man he was rushed off his feet. I coupl go on but jus t s what did. Expect for £55 per night? Just for it to be clean, It was not, ok if you just want a bed for the night but I for one would not go back.

Just to mention there are 'ladies of the that use his hotel' and the shower is dangerous. The health and safety people would have a field day visiting this place.

Room Tip: Pay an extra £10 and go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Rajsondh, Guest Relations Manager at Boston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Jonathan of Manchester,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. In particular, I must wholeheartedly apologise for the shortage of dining-room staff at breakfast. It was due to circumstances beyond our control, resulting in a 45-minute delay in the arrival of the relevant employees. As you say, the only waiter on duty was under more pressure than he should have been, and this somewhat spoiled your enjoyment of the full English breakfast that is such a popular feature of our service.

However, we have checked with the kitchen, and they confirm that the meal was served with all its ingredients, as you seem to feel it wasn’t.

Another complaint that we can’t understand is your comment about the ladies who use the hotel. This statement could easily be mis-interpreted, and we must respectfully ask you not make possibly libellous suggestions, unless supported by clear evidence.

As for your other grievances, we do maintain a 24-hour reception service to handle any problems, and in extreme circumstances, we are happy to offer you a change of room. But we can only point out that fresh bed-linen is supplied daily, and your problem with the shower was probably related to how it was used by the previous occupant. On the issue of Health & Safety, we can boast a particularly high rating with the local authority, who regularly inspect the hotel for gas, electricity and fire assessments.

Your praise for our friendly service is, of course, welcome. But reports from our other guests seem to indicate your extra £10 would be unlikely to get you anything superior to our own standards.
Endicott, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

this was my 3rd and longest time stay at the Boston Manor ( 5 weeks) and we found it just as pleasing and enjoyable as the other time we stayed. the food as always was marvelous and the staff polite and accommodating and we look forward to spending more times staying at the hotel in the future.

for the price they can be beat.
joe and maria

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rajsondh, Guest Relations Manager at Boston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
“Another great stay” - now that’s what we like to hear. And 5 weeks must be long enough to test the service, by anyone’s standard.
It’s always reassuring to hear favourable comments about our friendly staff and popular cuisine. But maybe when you’ve got a long-established family-run hotel like ours, these benefits tend to go with the territory.
By the way, in your final comment, we’re assuming you mean that we ‘can’t be beat’ on price (not ‘can’). That is one of our principal claims, certainly confirmed by many other satisfied customers.
We much look forward to your future visits.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is now my third visit to Boston Manor Hotel. After having visited the hotel on many occasions, I finally found the time to write a review. Having scrolled down reading previous reviews and comments shocked me a great deal. I find it very immature of certain individuals who have uploaded pictures of maybe their house rather than the hotel. The pictures uploaded of the bedroom and dirty shower have no resemblance what so ever of this hotel. In the case of complaints regarding the smell of the hotel, may I remind the reviewers that there is a Nepalese restaurant and in order to cater for the people, food needs to be prepared from scratch and not a frozen packet warmed up in the microwave, which may be the case in many hotels but not this one. Preparing exotic foods such as those offered in the restaurant require many ingredients of which have distinct smells. However, the previous comments clearly exaggerate the smell, perhaps because many are not used to preparing foods themselves. A similar comparison would be ‘I want a shower but without getting wet’. I know it sounds ridiculous but so does preparing food without creating a smell. It just isn’t possible. Ultimately, if you have such high expectations then maybe you should put your money where your mouth is, and pay for the 5* hotels. This hotel serves its purpose, in fact more than its money’s worth. The staff are extremely friendly and very welcoming. The hotel is very clean, there is secure parking which is very convenient as we need not to worry about our car whilst taking the tube into London . I would most definitely be staying at this hotel again and highly recommend it to everyone. I do apologise if my response has offended anyone that wasn’t the intended purpose. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it just made me furious reading the harsh and untrue comments which express nothing but utter nonsense.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
I especially welcome your dismissal of some earlier negative reviews of Boston Manor Hotel. We were always able to spot that most of these were fabricated, but we thank you warmly for taking the trouble to confirm our findings.
We do not know why certain individuals should want to damage our reputation in this way, but I can tell you that our whole management and staff feel exasperated at reading these false claims, which then stay up on the record, misleading many site-visitors who think they are looking at unbiassed testimonials. Hopefully your own contribution will go some way to balancing-up the picture.
Your comments about kitchen odours also help to keep this issue in proportion. A gourmet restaurant cannot be entirely odour-free, especially when preparing the spicy cuisine for which we receive so much praise. But our vandal-critics love to exaggerate this point, to imply low standards of hygiene.
Finally, you say you would be happy to return here for your fourth visit. We sincerely hope this happens, and we look forward to the chance of welcoming you back.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Room and bathroom were spotless. Polite friendly and helpful staff made our stay very welcoming and comfortable. Excellant breakfast and car parking facilities. Importantly for us there were good transport links to go practically anywhere. We had no problem in going to the London Central. Just the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013
I was delighted to read your friendly review, pointing out many of the benefits that seem to give us the edge over other hotels of a similar price.
There is no doubt that our location is especially favourable; many guests are amazed how easy it is to get to the West End. And spacious free parking in the inner suburbs is a rarity indeed.
As for that full English breakfast, check out the other reviews on this site. You’ll find it pops up again and again.
Best wishes, and thanks again.
Cheshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

To be honest, I'll just be repeating the comments of other unhappy customers. Rooms tired, carpet dirty, strange smell, noise from kitchens, furniture broken, shower broken, heating broken.
More hostel than hotel.
Bed was clean and staff polite.
I would not stay again.....and that terrible smell...wow!

• Stayed March 2013
Rajsondh, Guest Relations Manager at Boston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest
We are naturally sorry if you did not enjoy your stay with us, but I am concerned that you are gearing your complaints to certain comments made by other customers.
Many of the most serious complaints are shown to be unjustified and it is clear that some of them have been issued for vexatious reasons. They also seem to repeat the same grievances every time, which we find suspicious.
'Rooms tired' doesn't really tell us anything, except that the cheaper rooms are fitted with somewhat ageing furnishings, contributing to an image of 'cheap and cheerful' which we are quite happy to live with.
As all rooms are inspected daily, it is not too likely that the shower and the heating would both have been broken at the same time. The noise from the kitchens is, of course, a normal hazard in rooms located in the same part of the building, except in higher grades of hotel.
The restaurant odours have been the subject of regular complaints that have proved unfounded, or at least greatly exaggerated.
We have been and are enjoying 95% occupancy levels even in these difficult times so we do feel justified in claiming that we're doing something right.
Finally, we appreciate your acknowledgment of our clean bedding and polite service.
We hope you may change your mind about a future return visit.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a budget hotel but if you accept this then this hotel is very good for what it is. Well positioned for tube and staff friendly. Local area is good for restaurants and cheap eats and drinks.Yes a bit down at heal but clean and functional and costs very little in relative terms. So cheap and cheerful

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Rajsondh, Guest Relations Manager at Boston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest

Your comment manages to sum-up the benefits of our hotel in just a few words. A comfortable low-cost stay in the inner suburbs is an increasingly rare find, and we are widely considered to be at the top of the league in our price-range. We don't mind anyone calling us 'cheap and cheerful', and you also highlight cleanliness and good service - in other words, exactly what our many guests from all over the world are looking for, year after year.

Been to Boston Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!