“Extremely poor service.” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
“Extremely poor service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Rude from the outset. On two occasions, I've been greeted with "have you got a booking?" (even when there are empty tables). If not, then you get terrible treatment and you really wonder why you would spend your money here. I gave it a second chance, as the food really has potential, but I will not make that mistake again.

To be totally fair, the support staff and waitresses are very nice. Its the management itself that are so so so rude and condescending. Especially the main waitress - I assume she is the owners wife or something. I have never met a person so rude.

I would strongly advise you to avoid. We've seen such poor service. You literally fear asking for water or any sauces.

Whilst the food is quite decent, it is certainly not good enough to justify the patience or cost required to eat here. It's a shame, as restaurants like this are few and far between in these areas.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Laid back relaxing atmosphere... no good for uptight food snobs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I was part of a group when we went to Aya this month, it was a birthday party for a family member and she recommended we all eat there.

Usually many Lebanese restaurants in London are over crowded, over prices and lack decor... Aya is very mind capturing indeed, from the hand carved furniture to the eloquent decor Aya has a beautiful Arabic feel to it with the music to accompany.

The food we new what to expect as we have eaten Lebanese before so we were all familiar with the menu and it sure did not fail to please, we ordered lots of little starter plates that just kept flowing, with freshly baked bread its hard not to get full up on the meze alone!
the main courses came just in time and were accompanied by different sauces and sides, this place is truly value for money and they do not scrimp on the portions.

The best thing is Aya allows you to bring your own alcohol, so we brought wine and the waiters chilled it for us, they could not have been any more kinder, all of the waiters had a smile and played with our children, they all spoke English and were very capable of accommodating a large group, after we were offered Arabic sweets and they tasted so fresh and sweet with the mint tea, We also had some sheesha to smoke after the meal which was great too.

I have read most of the reviews from other people here and can only think its down to other restaurants promoting as a few have mentioned other restaurant names which i think is unfair. This place has a great family feel to it, we usually go into Edgware road for Lebanese food but wont any longer as the food and service is much more better in Aya. Its a great little gem hidden just out of central Wimbledon

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great setting for a brilliant Arabeque night out!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I have written this review on both Aya pages as im unsure which one I visited, its the one next to south wimbledon station... I know they are both the same company and have previously been to both of them.

It's not often I come to write reviews on TA but then again if I did I would be on here nearly every day, but this is an exception as we were a party of 28 hungry people so any restaurant who is good with group bookings is worth a good review in my opinion.

To start with it was my mothers birthday, she wanted somewhere a little different so I arranged a group booking with aya in south Wimbledon, we were seated in a private area so as not to disturb the other guests eating in the restaurant which was perfect for us, it was a Saturday night so the restaurant was naturally busy.

We brought our own box of wine and the waiter offered to chill the bottles for us, we also ordered some mineral water throughout the evening to go along with the wine and food.
Usually I would order the set menu but a few people from our group wanted different things from the menu so we ordered quite a mixture, as always with Aya the starters are absolutely MASSIVE!!! So we had numerous little plates swanning around the table with freshly warmed bread until the main arrived... One thing that impressed me was there were NO mistakes with the ordering, usually with group or party bookings in other restaurants something will get mixed up but this night could not have gone any smoother. The food was amazing as usual, me and my family have been coming to aya for 3 years now, and I am no newbie when it comes to middle eastern food... I would say Aya is in par with authentic Lebanese home cooking, it's fresh and tastes fab.

The staff in Aya are amazing, they are not overly attentive as they like to allow you to enjoy your meal without to many interruptions BUT they are always in eyesight so if you need anything you just need to make eye contact which I love.
The staff are great with kids, my son loves visiting as he gets all sorts of treats, overall to me it has a very family orientated feel about it, it's not a snobby restaurant and it won't make you feel uncomfortable, great music and lovely atmosphere!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Refused tap water”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I have used this restaurant many times and went with a large group (23) of friends last night. We asked for a couple of jugs of tap water to accompany our meal and we were refused. We purchased lots of soft drinks and when I spoke to the owner they explained that Thames Water had changed the way in which their water was supplied in the last few weeks. I was not convinced by this explanation and if that is the case, I believe that bottled water should be supplied free of charge. They were able to offer ice free of charge but not water. Is there a difference?

Such a shame as fantastic food and usually very accommodating, but I won't be returning in a hurry.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Rude staff- we left before ordering”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We were a party of 5 who went to Aya for my birthday. I was disappointed with my last visit but was willing to give it another go as we could take our own wine.
When we entered it seemed that much of the restaurant had been booked for a large party. The miserable waiter moved a table for four a couple of inches and put a chair at the end. There wasn't room for us to sit down so we moved the table a bit further. I'd just sat down ( not easy as I had a painful back ) when a miserable waitress asked me to move so that she could put a chair at the table behind me. Fed up with the miserable staff, we decided to leave and go to Confucius instead. The Manager was obviously wanting us to stay and offered us alternative seating, but we'd made up our minds. A thoroughly miserable experience and they won't be seeing us again (Confucius was very good, though)

• Visited May 2014