“Excellent value for money!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Equity Point London Hotel

Save Saved
You added Equity Point London Hotel to your Saves list
Equity Point London Hotel
100-102 Westbourne Terrace | Paddington, London W2 6QE, England (Paddington / Maida Vale)   |
Ranked #200 of 611 Specialty lodging in London
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was my first ever stay in a hostel and I was a little nervous to say the least. Prior to arrival I e-mailed a list of questions to the hostel which were answered promptly and in great detail by the hostel staff which certainly helped to calm my nerves a little. I chose to walk from London Euston railway station to Paddington which took an hour but Paddington tube station is only a 5 to 10 minute walk from the hostel. On arrival I was greeted warmly and had everything explained to me clearly and concisely. I paid a £1 deposit for my keycard but was also informed that I would be charged an extra £1 because I was paying by debit card. I do feel that this should be explained on their website rather than on arrival. I went to pop my teddy bear in my bed before going back out for the evening and although I was not going to use my bedside locker, I did note that the door of the cupboard for my bed was not attached to the locker but merely propped up against it. As I was going out I mentioned this to the front desk. My dorm had its own bathroom which was very compact but contained a toilet, bath (with shower over it), and a small handbasin which were all clean and fully functioning. I had a wonderful night out and returned at 0300 to a very friendly Romanian security guard called Andre who I stood and quietly chatted with for quite a while along with other fellow night owl guests either returning or popping outside to smoke. Eventually I decided that I ought to go to bed as I had to be awake again in three hours. I asked the desk if there were any toilets downstairs that I could use to change into my pyjamas to avoid disrupting my fellow room mates and was promptly shown into a private staff area. Unfortunately when I got up to my room, my teddy bear had been moved and was lying next to a tall Japanese man who was fast asleep in my bed! I went down to reception who apologised on his behalf and told me to use one of the other free beds, which I did. Each bed had an individual light plus one spare plug socket which I used to charge my mobile phone. A few hours later when the majority of us were awake I spoke to the man in my bed and informed him that he had actually slept in my bed. He apologised but we both noticed that the styling of the painted stencilled numbers on each set of bunks did actually make the numbers 3 and 5 look very similar, perhaps this is something that the hostel could address in future? Breakfast was plentiful and quite varied - toast, marmalade, honey and jam, various cereals, milk, strawberry and peach yoghurts, fruit juices and tea and coffee. I checked out just before the 1000 deadline and was able to leave my bag with the hostel while I went out for the day. The hostel communal areas are rather funkily decorated, modern and clean, and there is a lift facility to all floors. Although I didn't use them, there was also an internet area to be used for a small fee, a travel desk, an area to obtain drinks and snacks and apparently a bar/common area to relax somewhere in the building. I feel that this hostel deserves more than it's current 3 star rating although with the few little niggles that I encountered, it remains just a little short of 5 stars but is excellent value for money and in a great location. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Edinburg, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed with two friends in a 3 bed dorm with private bathroom. The room was cleas, so was the bathroom. Unfortunately we had bad painting fumes in our room and asked to get a second duvet as the girls sleeping in the double bed were more comfortable to have two separate duvets - which is in most hostels we stayed ( all over the world) no issue. we all went down a few times but staff was not understanding us (which I doubt as we explained it in many different ways) or just did not care. No one was acting on our complaint that there was a party going on on the floors at 3 am- despite the silence after 11 pm signs in the floor.Breakfast was nice though we did not get cheese the second and third morning. Hostel is handy as it is close to Paddington Station. To travel to stansted Airport I would recommend the easy bus as this leaves near Paddington at the Baker Street.

Room Tip: ensuite rooms are tiny but clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is the best I've ever been to. It's position is very good, and there is security, which makes it a bit more safe to stay. The rooms are clean and modern and the same are the rooms where you eat and can stay.
The staff is young, fresh and very polite and helpful, which only makes everything better. There's a good breakfast buffet and the price is in the low end. All in all i would recommend this place to everyone who needs to stay in London.

• Stayed September 2012
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

With a group of 24 school students from Australia, this was a superb place to stay! We spent 4 nights at this hostel and the students loved it. The location in Paddington is fantastic and the commute via the tube into the city centre is not far at all. The rooms were clean and well looked after. The ensuites were small. You get quite fit walking up and down the stairs in this place! The staff were fantastic and friendly. The breakfast was great and the sleeping arrangements were perfect. This was our base when in London and we will definitely be using it again. A lively, fun and happy place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Bawley Point, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Clean, sheets and blanket included. Breakfast included. Very cheap & affordable for young travellers and backpackers. A nice hostel which is also handy as the Paddington station is only 5 minute walk, underground as well as overground. If need to go to heathrow i would recommend the overground direct trains to the airport takes 15-20 minutes! instead of 40-an hour on the tube. If you are wanting to stay in a hostel - recommend this one! Only down fall would be the bathroom in the shared rooms are TINY. Very unconfortable especially if you are sharing with randoms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Ups > Clean, good location, freindly staff,

Downs > Not enough showers and the one we had in our 8 bunker had no extractor and was in a tiny room with nowhere to hang clothes/towel.

Lack of places to chill out and therefore no atmosphere otherwise good value but you wouldnt want to spend more than one night there,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Equity Point has a great location (a couple of blocks from Paddington Station, near some very nice hotels that make it feel safe) and is a great value for the very modest price. The atmosphere is one of the best I've ever encountered in international hostels (and I've been to a few). It is a very high-volume hostel with large groups and people from ALL OVER the world. They do a surprisingly decent job at enforcing quiet hours, have reasonably good amenities (I would love free wifi/internet/towels, but I know better than to expect that in London), it's very clean and a lot of fun. The downstairs cafe/breakfast/lounge is very well-run and a lot of fun.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 4-woman dorm (2 of us) and it was very economical in terms of space, but had everythi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Equity Point London Hotel? Share your experiences!