“should have been better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Verta

Save Saved
You added Hotel Verta to your Saves list
Hotel Verta
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bridges Wharf | Battersea, London SW11 3BE, England (Clapham / Battersea )   |
Ranked #233 of 1,075 hotels in London
northern california
“should have been better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

if the first 24 hours hadn't happened, this would be a way better review. we arrived straight from heathrow, off a 12 hour flight, ready to settle in, get a massage, eat and sleep, so we'd be ready to go the next day. upon entering the room, we were immediately impressed: nice room, gorgeous bathroom with separate soaking tub and molton brown toiletries, free bottled water, state-of-the-art electronics... which leads me to red flag #1. the lights are all controlled through keypads and we were having issues getting them to work, and then they'd work and then shut off. weird. we unpacked and while I took a bath the lights went out. my husband turned them back on... we wondered what we were in for. also, we had the electronic do not disturb on, but twice people came into our room unannounced, which had never happened to me before and it scared me a little bit - both times. we showed the second person the dnd on the control panel and told her about the "ghost lights", she said, "oh, sometimes they don't work, and will just turn on & off" - really? eek. so we put the paper dnd sign on the door knob... I will always do this now, in every hotel with an electronic system! the front desk also (we told them we'd just got off a long flight & couldn't wait to sleep) called our room 3 times in the first hour and a half. the first two times just to ask if everything was okay - odd, and the third time they said they needed our passports & hadn't gotten them at checkin, so we had to go down and bring them. at that point I started to get irate because we'd told them we'd needed rest and they woke my husband up twice by calling, made us go back down instead of sending someone up.... this was supposed to be a 5 star hotel. the service is 2 star by some staff and they drag the hotel down with them. now a bright point, I got a wonderful hot stone massage, which was perfect after a long flight. the service in the spa was weird (ghost town) and I had to search for the checkin/checkout staff, but the massage was heaven. got back to the room and we were ready to crash hard, but the lights kept going on and off. we called the front desk & after treating my husband like it was something we were doing wrong, they sent the bldg engineer. he also commented that the console was "not supposed to be doing what it was doing" and he couldn't hard-wire into the console (it'd take too long), so he'd just reboot it and see if that fixed it. okay, we'd just have to wait and see, but we really needed to sleep. we questioned whether we should call the front desk & just move rooms, but we'd already unpacked and were exhausted. flash forward two hours later when all the lights went on full blast and we both sat straight up in bed from super deep sleep. we were done with the crazy lights. we called down and asked if we could change rooms first thing in the a.m. we figured we'd sleep with masks on and deal with repacking & relocating when we were less tired (& I was cranky by this point). the manager said tomorrow they would likely be sold out, so we had to move then or never. the customer service was terrible. I was pissed. she acted like we were being difficult by complaining about the lights going off and on, and we'd been very nice up until now. I went down to talk to her in person and let her know we would pack now and move because she'd made me so mad that I wasn't getting back to sleep for a bit. she was awful, but we were moved (she thought she was helping by grabbing our things and piling them on the cart, but i had to ask her to wait in the hall while we did the repacking ourselves), and loved our next room. we actually loved the rest of our stay.... but didn't need that first 24 hours or her attitude. long story short, having electrical issues in your room, change rooms asap. better to argue with management and get moved than to wait for a bigger argument later when overly tired. after all that, she said they would have to fill that room the next day & i wondered if we were not the first guests to get the "ghost lights" room. argh. we also had the breakfast as part of our package and it was quite nice... great for those who like a classic english breakfast. one last thing, know that it is out of the way, but the shuttle is a nice touch. book your spot on the van the day before because they book up (only one van for whomever wants a ride) and the departure times change daily, which threw us off at first. there is also a bus that will drop you very close to the hotel when returning.... the walk along the thames and across the bridge can be nice too! after all we went through, I don't think we will return.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

631 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Turkish first
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Verta for 2 nights on the 20th & 21st April as I was running the London Marathon. By all accounts Hotel was excellent; modern fixtures and fittings and all mod cons; downsides were the room temperature was warm to say the least and the location of the hotel was somewhat isolated. Due to the Hotel location we ate in the hotel both evenings; on the Saturday night Ambrosia Bistro/Bar where we enjoyed a three course set menu which was outstanding value at £20 and then last night we visited the Red Pocket Chinese restaurant; I ate Mixed Xiao Long Bao for starters which were excellent and then a fillet of beef dish with sticky rice which I really enjoyed. Staff were also excellent and made us feel welcome.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Before you read on, I think I need to caveat this review with the fact that I don't expect everyone to experience the chain of events that I did. It could be that my weekend was just a one-off, but I can obviously only speak of my experience of the hotel.

In one word: FANTASTIC!

I came here this past weekend with my girlfriend, to celebrate our second anniversary and don't think our stay could have been much better.

The mark of a great hotel is it's ability to handle adversity, and this was evidenced within the first couple of hours of our stay. We arrived just after 2pm (the advised check-in time is between 2-3pm), only to be told that our room was not ready at that stage. This wasn't actually much of a problem, as we had planned on spending the afternoon in the spa in any case, so we just took our things downstairs and left them in the spa lockers.

The spa provided everything you could need for a peaceful, relaxing afternoon, including hydrapool, experience showers, steam room, sauna and sanarium. All very tranquil, and left us feeling very refreshed when we left an hour or so later.

Unfortunately, when we went back to the front desk to check-in (now about 4:15pm), our room still was not ready, for which the concierge could not be apologetic enough. He informed us that the Arsenal squad had been staying in the hotel the previous night, and so more of the rooms had to be cleaned than was usual. I won't guess what they had been up to to make such a mess!

This was when our stay became a bit of a dream-like scenario, and probably where the vast majority of hotel customers will no longer be able to relate to our stay. We found out at this point that we had been upgraded to the Executive River Suite, which was in our minds a massive over-compensation for the small delay we had experienced!

When you walk in to the suite, you're presented with options of direction to turn - which I'd never expected when originally booking our room! In either direction, you can walk into room with beautiful river-facing views, and the east-side overlooks the heliport. Unfortunately no helicopters arrived during our stay though.

The suite comes fully equipped with everything you could imagine in a swish modern apartment (minus a kitchen), including luxurious bathroom with jacuzzi bath (with added TV) and walk in shower, bigger-than-kingsize bed in a decent sized bedroom (also with a large TV), large living room with plush sofas and another widescreen television, a small study area, a large closet room and separate second toilet. We felt as though we had suddenly discovered how the other half live!

I'd also requested flower petals to be placed on the floor leading to the bed, which were beautiful, and some rich chocolate truffles to be left in our room. All of which added to the occasion and made this one of the most memorable weekends of our lives.

We also had the buffet breakfast in the morning which more than adequately filled us up for the start of the day. There are full English options available, plus continental offerings and fruit and cereal, so pretty much everything you could wish for.

Overall, if you're looking for a luxurious hotel break, on the River Thames, which is not too central but easily accessible (10 minutes walk from Clapham Junction), then I'd certainly recommend Hotel Verta. I'd suggest you don't get your hopes up and expect automatically be upgraded, but you can rest assured that if anything does go wrong with your booking, the hotel staff are certainly capable of making up for any inconvenience.

Room Tip: Choose a River View room for great views of the sunset.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here from Saturday 23rd March for three nights and we where celebrating a special first trip to London and our 1 year wedding anniversary. I emailed the hotel directly asking for any special offers giving we are celebrating a special occasion to which I received no response. I then booked through Agoda.com and got a good rate and room for our stay. Unfortunately without actually being made clear on the booking we where given a 'disability access' room which was perfectly adequate but wouldn’t have been a room I would have chosen. The room itself was spacious but not adequately stocked of provisions such as coffee pods for the machine and again no milk! These may seem like silly little things but these are the things you would expect from a 5 star hotel. This is not a 5 star hotel; I have stayed in better 3 or 4 star hotels. The location is terrible and will cost you about £25 to get into Victoria and no close by access to any Tube stations. You can get a bus in within a 5 min walk but not exactly the mode of transport you would wish to choose to travel into London for a nice meal or theatre.
The service (lack of service) within this establishment is by far the worst I have ever experienced in any hotel Ive stayed in and nothing even close to what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. To give but a couple of examples of this shocking service, this began on the first night we arrived and asked for a taxi to be ordered for us to take us to see the 'The Woman in Black' in the Fortune Theatre. The taxi arrived and a rather abrupt foreign taxi driver mumbled at us as to where we where going to which we told him. As we are not familiar with London we really had no idea where this theatre was and after about 20 minutes in taxi he suddenly stopped and said we where there. I couldn’t see a theatre in sight but presumed he knew where had left us and would be in a side street in close proximity. I then asked how much to which he muttered the hotel had paid for it and settle with them which hadn’t been explained to me but fair enough but he couldn’t even tell me a price. Well to our horror after getting out of the taxi dressed for a night out and now standing in the pouring rain we discovered we where no where near the Fortune Theatre. It was only for a nice old lady that stopped to ask us if we were ok and where we looking for somewhere that we learned how to get to where we had asked. To cut a long story short after getting directions we managed to walk to the theatre in about 20 minutes. This granted isn’t the hotel's fault however it was the way it was dealt with, I told them of the experience when we arrived home. The person who had originally asked us to wait and he phoned the taxi firm, while we waited for a good 15 minutes. He then came over to say the manager of the taxi firm apologies and would reduce the fare from the standard £25 to £20. I nearly choked in amusement at this. I told them I wouldn’t be paying anything and he suggested I phoned the firm myself. I declined.
On the Saturday night I phoned down to reception desk about booking a table in the restaurant as we were celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary to whom just passed my call directly to the restaurant where I presume I was then talking to a member of bar staff. He said the most he could offer was 10% discount which was available to all guests anyway! He said he would ask the manager on my request and would phone back. So after waiting about 20 minutes I decided to call back myself to speak to restaurant manager, anyway I got the same member of bar staff who again stated that 10% was best that he could do. Getting rather frustrated at this stage at having to constantly phone people to try and get a simple request actioned in a 5 star hotel, I decided one last attempt to call reception and ask to speak with a manager to whom I was told what not available but my request would be relayed to them and they would phone me back shortly. Again I waited about 20 minutes to which point I was getting totally fed up and we both decided to head down to the Spa before dinner.
When we arrived back in the room there where no messages left and so I phoned again to reception to speak with manager and was told he would phone again. Well this time he did phone back about 5 minutes later. The first question he asked me was ‘how can I help?’. So basically for about the fifth time I had to explain that I was looking for a special discount or offer for dinner that evening in the restaurant to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary. He then said he needed to talk to someone else and would come back to me. He phoned again shortly and I can only say it was one of the most appalling calls and absurdity I have ever heard and this was the so called manager! He started by saying we could have a nice table by window which would normally have to be reserved and then didn’t speak. I then asked what offer he was giving us. He then said the most he could give in discount was 5% to which I replied a member of bar staff had offered me 10% over an hour ago. He was unable to beat this or offer anything which would entice us to eat there.
So after a short look on internet I found a site which recommended restaurants close by and was able to find one which was highly recommended and offered 50% off the meal. Take note – this was in the Rafayel on the Left Bank Hotel right beside this hotel in the Banyan on the Thames restaurant. We had a lovely evening here and the food was very good.
We just seemed to have problem after problem with this hotel, we then came back that evening and found our room had not been turned down, cleaned or any fresh towels provided.
On a more positive note and probably the only reason I would give this hotel any stars for rating was for the Spa area and for the breakfast. The breakfast was very good and a wide variety of choice from continental options to cooked breakfast. The other being the Spa which was the perfect retreat after a day sight seeing, walking and the inept service from above in the hotel.
Unfortunately for me this would not be enough to rescue this hotel for me. Given its not ideal location, they really need to go the extra mile on service. With the exception of one or two staff the rest where appalling, uninterested and unfriendly. In a 5 star hotel I don’t expect to running around and having to constantly phone to reception because things with/within the room where unacceptable and cant state how appalled I am at the lack of interest or effort given into trying to make out stay special and indeed our wedding anniversary meal which we then enjoyed in the hotel next door.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone expecting any level of service let alone 5 stars. Very disappointing

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

From the moment I booked and entered a dialogue with Petr on the Concierge's desk regarding the hotel facilities I established that great service is a priority at this excellent hotel just next to Battersea Heliport. Our stay was exceptional in every way and we shall certainly return. Lovely position looking out on the river, valet parking and all the staff looking to make your stay memorable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Donaghadee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just stayed the one night, but BOY did I enjoy it. The showerhead was gigantic and powerful and the temprature controls were exact. The room was very spacious & spotless, the maids gave us as much tea & coffee sacha's as we wanted. All the staff were very courtious and looked up directions and printed them without a word.I didn't eat here but the breakfast looked good £18 all you can eat.!!Lovely view's over the Thames and close to a Weatherspoons,£3.50 for breakfast.! The spa/swimming pool,gym underground closes early 10pm and opens late 8.30am. But all in all £135 a night you'd expect all this with large tv. (kingsize room).

Room Tip: They are all good.
Manchester, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Located next to London heliport on the south side of the Thames, the location is c£14 taxi ride to the nearest tube station at Vauxhall. Of course if you arrive by helicopter then it couldn't be more convenient!

A lovely modern 5 star hotel. The bedroom was lovely...the bathroom was considerably bigger than the bedroom in some 4* hotels I've stayed in! I used the wifi which had an excellent signal.

Breakfast was buffet style and very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Verta? Share your experiences!