“Afternoon Tea” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   159 Knightsbridge, London SW1X 7PD, England   |
Ranked #973 of 1,065 Hotels in London
“Afternoon Tea”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

TERRIBLE. Cheap nasty ingredients. Sandwiches tasted like they were made with stork spread and lots of it, pretty much inedible. Nasty cakes and lack of service, at times even rude. Went to the toilet in the hotel and the general decor was awful. Peeling wallpaper, threadbare carpets. I would say best avoided. I had a discount voucher but they normally would charge £32 per person for the champagne afternoon tea. For tea I recommend you book ahead and go to The Wolsey instead £32.50 and you get excellent service, fantastic food and beautiful surroundings!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Having read the previous reviews my expectations were low, however, we were pleasantly surprised by the afternoon tea offering. Putting aside the slightly down at heel surroundings the actual afternoon tea itself was perfectly acceptable, the sandwiches were fresh, if rather butter rich, the scones and brownies warm and the service was both prompt and attentive. ( Not sue if 'champagne' was champagne,but acceptable fizzy wine) The tea room was half full (13 out of 22) and all the other diners seemed to be enjoying themselves. (Also appeared to be all voucher users) Perhaps the management of the hotel have read the previous reviews. I'm not sure I would have paid full price, but it did provide a pleasant afternoon interlude.

• Stayed January 2013
Devon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend, sister and her boyfriend. We originally booked a hotel in Belgravia but because this room hadn't been cleaned. Instead of us waiting they offered us a free upgrade to a suite in Knightsbridge which we were told was a better hotel and absolutely fantastic!

The room was a "suite" which turned out to be a king size bed in one room and a large single sofa bed in the other. The decore was terrible. The paint was literally coming off the walls in huge slabs. There was mould in every room on walls and ceilings. The wallpaper was lifting in the bedrooms with various areas torn or bare plaster showing. The wardrobe was missing 50% of its door handles and the trouser press didn't work. The windows wouldn't open and the A/C wasn't working so the heating was jammed on full!!!

We ordered breakfast, which quite frankly you wouldn't have fed to an animal!! It was cold and almost stale bread! When I complained the man on reception simply laughed as if I was joking. They have £1,850 advertised in the reception for this room and when I questioned it he said that was the olympic price! False advertising???!!!

When I complained I was also told that the manager would contact me first thing the next morning and have subsuquently phoned twice more and no contact has been made with me!

I have stayed in much much MUCH better budget hotels before and have photo evidence which I am happy to share with anyone!! Seriously......DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE!! LONDON IS A BIG PLACE WITH HIGHER STANDARDS THAN THIS DIVE!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Not here!!! Just not pleasant!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Spring, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I booked this hotel due to great location and modern attractive photographs on the website. It was rated 4 star and that was very misleading as it was run down standard, such a shame with its location as it could be fabulous! The stairs carpeting was old and torn. There was food smell along the stairs (perhaps too close to the kitchen). I say there must be no good exhaust fan in the kitchen, I checked in Wednesday (Dec 18, 2012) and there was no hot running water right on the second day of our stay (Thursday night). Friday night when I got back at 9:30pm again there was no hot water and was told by the Sup. no hot water the entire hotel but they were working on it. Given that I was out the whole day...all I needed was a hot shower. Saturday night I arrived still with no hot water... again I was too tired to be upset about it I just hoped that they can fix it sooner. Monday morning I was told they're working on it. I decided to call the travel agency. The worst part wasn't the hot water. It was the fact that front desk personnel lied three times. First she told the agency that I was upgraded. Then she retracted that statement and told the agency that I was given the option to change room and that I refused. So if If I were given the option to move to another room...that meant that there must be running water some rooms of the hotel but I was told Friday night that there was none the entire building! It was bad enough that I didn't get the service but worst of all was being lied to three different times!. At this point I had enough of it... Monday (after 4 days) I decided to get out. I was supposed to check out Wednesday but I checked out two nights early.

Room Tip: Not recommended ever because the worst is a personnel who lies.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Australind, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I recently stayed at The Knightsbridge Green Hotel, London for a three night stay (1812 2012)

I was recommend by a travel agent to stay here and unfortunately took their advice.
It was for a special occasion and I was really looking forward to it.

From the minute we arrived at the hotel it was not a pleasant experience, the room was very drab and old and not what you would expect from a 4 star rated property

Just a few things to be mindful of when arriving in your room, no drinking glasses, no tissues, no pens, no, paper, fridge on the floor not even plugged, so nothing in the fridge, when asked for ice no ice available until the next day, no bottle opener, one small piece of soap for washbasin, no soap for shower/ bath, bathroom so old and depressing, flooring squeaky and old, no light cover over bash basin just exposed light bulbs, someone's tee shirt stuffed behind radiator and nothing like the pictures on the website,
Breakfast very basic, which you have to have in your room, toast always cold and croissant always felt it has just thawed out

When asked to see the manager they were never available and though asked for them to contact me this never happened, felt staff were glad to see the back of us, so all in all it was a terrible stay.
However location was good but a great shame the hotel was so bad

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Very poor stay at this hotel, The room was run down and tired - wallpaper hanging off, the roof had brown water stains all over it. The bathroom was dirty, the sink had a brown water stain in it and again the roof tiles were all stained and looked like they were not even secure. The toilet obviously had a issue - every time it was flushed it made the loudest noise (like a fog horn) which was the system re filling which went on for what seemed like forever. The Girl on reception was very rude and abrupt - she called the room on the morning of our departure to ask when we were leaving and was asking what was going on in the background, what were the rest of our party were laughing at in the background which was of no interest to her. The only person who seemed happy was the night porter. Would never stay here again although it did have a good location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I booked this hotel due to great location for Harrods and modern attractive photographs on the knightsbridge green website - they were very misleading as it was to a dreadful run down standard, such a shame with its location as it could be fabulous! I would rate it 2* don't waste your money.

I was taking my two young teenage cousins on a girly treat as an early Christmas present. This certainly wasn't a treat - just embarrassing. I was horrified at the rude and abruptness of the woman on reception Cherie! Even my 14 year old cousin was shocked. There was just no excuse - she was sadly the height of bad manners! I don't even believe further training would fix this - she should not be in a customer facing role particularly for a supposed luxury hotel!

Examples include telling me to do about 7 different things at once (not politely asking as you would to a guest) whilst answering the phone in between telling me. She kept interrupting me every time I went to do one of the things she had asked. At first i was diplomatically choosing to ignore her rudeness as we were staying there for a happy weenend. Then as I had not printed my booking information - which I did have on an email on my phone with me.. Usually fine in this day and age, she spoke to me like a poor school teacher and then scribbled down like a 5 year old the hotel email address which demanded I must immediately send the booking email to.

We were asked to fill out a form for breakfast and leave it outside our door at night. They take breakfast to your room - I requested that we have it downstairs where they do the afternoon tea for 9:30. After 10 minutes of no acknowledgement I though I would just politely let reception know that we were there and waiting for our breakfast, they hadn't even noticed us. I was rudely told by Cherie to just sit and wait for 10 minutes. 5 minutes later a man out of breath appeared by our table, he just put it down without even looking at us or even smiling let alone saying good morning. I did not raise the issue at the hotel as I did not want to put a downer on a much looked forward to family weekend trip.

The staff were mostly dreadful, one girl who we bumped into who was serving the afternoon tea did seem very pleasant but she was the only one. The others on reception who tended to be sitting next to Cherie silently couldn't even manage to great guests - at the time I thought perhaps they were in training but a welcoming smile or hello wasn't even offered. We were just completely ignored while at reception if Cherie was busy.

Fold up bed but out in our room was flimsy and useless - which led to a dreadful nights sleep and upon arriving at our door the paint was peeling and looked a disgrace. I was so disappointed with this experience and wouldn't have stayed at all if I was with my partner, I didn't wasn't to upset my young cousins - who were in real need of a happy trip away.

We couldn't even all have a cup of tea in the room before bed, the room was booked for 3 and there was only one tea bag - not even individually wrapped at that just one loose tea bag. And a few sachets of Nescafé. And only 2 cups, just pathetic.

Overall just a terrible experience. Please do not go, the millenium hotel is very close and lovely if you are looking for a decent 4* in the area. It is well kept, clean, has pleasant staff and in a great location.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour, stay somewhere else. Trip advisor bad reviews are pretty accurate - i usually...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Knightsbridge Green Hotel? Share your experiences!