“Not too much quality after all” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Westminster

Save Saved
You added Hotel Westminster to your Saves list
Hotel Westminster
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   82-83 Eccleston Square | Westminster, London SW1V 1PS, England (Victoria)   |
Ranked #767 of 1,075 hotels in London
Finland
“Not too much quality after all”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2007

The Westminster hotel was an okay price hotel with an excellent location near to the tube, still in a quiet and safe neighbourhood, with a lot of beautiful buildings and parks. Within a walking distance there are some restaurants, fastfood places and shops without having to go to the city centre.

But I have to say that the pictures in the website and in the catalogues tell a little bit different story about the rooms and other facilities in the hotel, as the reality is... First of all the rooms were really small. Additionally, we had a hole under our room door, which didn't create a very safe feeling... Because it's an old building and the floors and walls have been living their own life, the corridores and everything looks like curved... There is no soundproof, you can hear all your neighbour rooms and everything that happens in the corridores. It can be very distracting.

The breakfast is ok, and breakfast room is nice. The staff was ok, not too friendly but not rude either.

Yet I have to say that I will never go there again.

Stayed February 2006

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Glasgow, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2007

This hotel is absolutely diabolical. The staff are mostly East European and although very nice and willing they have a mixed understanding of English. The single rooms are well worn and have duvets the size of a postage stamp. The rooms get very cold at night and the wall-mounted heater is barely adequate. Breakfast is basic and if you opt for the full English, prepare for a very greasy serving. In short avoid this hotel.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed October 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lexington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

This hotel is for a budget concious traveler who wants a good, safe location, with basic hotel services. The hotel front desk staff was helpful and very professional. The room was small but clean; a new carpet, a queen size bed, a small TV [with only few local channels ] and one side chair to sit. The small bath room had a [large] tub and shower [the european, all in one combo style]. For our one night stay, the hotel was a good choice .Note, the hotel is part of the Sleep Inn chain.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — size [a bit small for Americans]
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

We are a senior couple and found this hotel quite adequate. The staff was particularly helpful. We were planning to meet relatives at the hotel for lunch and found that the restaurant was not going to be open at the time we had arranged to meet. The manager arranged for our wishes to be accommodated.
We would also like to thank the night staff who was on duty in the early hours when we were returning from a tour that was late returning to London. Something to note is the fact that this hotel is not actually on Eccleston Square as listed, but on Gillingham - causing some problems for tour operators picking up and dropping off.
The room was a good size and clean although the bathroom was an awkward shape. Not far from Paddington Station and within walking distance of Victoria Station. Altogether, very good for our needs.

Stayed August 2007
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

I researched and read the horror stories about London hotels, even the real expensive ones. I picked this one based on the price and the high number of positive reviews. You will not be disappointed. Our room and bathroom on the fourth floor was ultra clean. I've heard of how small the hotel rooms are in London, and based on that research, I can say we had a decent size room (two twin beds) and a decent size bathroom. Tastefully decorated in gold and maroon. Functioning air conditioning. Never ran out of hot water. I've read of the famous not-so-friendly hotel staff in London; not here. Everyone was very helpful and eager to assist. I would stay there again. Excellent price for London. Five minute walk to Victoria Station and easy walk to Buckingham Palace. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, which we went to our first night there after long hours on the plane from the States. They had a couple of special items specifically geared for Americans. I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into the "Southern Fried Chicken" and my husband into his "Chile Con Carne". I know they really tried hard, I'm sure of it, but I have to tell you that it was some of the worst tasting food I've ever put into my mouth. Being exhausted from our trip and unable and unwilling to find another restaurant, I stuffed the chicken down my throat with great disdane and my husband tried to eat as much of the chile as he could but couldn't take it anymore eventually. What is funny is that the waitress advised my husband that the chile con carne wasn't hot--it was firing hot! I know there is reason to believe that the rest of their menu and cooking may be just fine, but we never returned there for the rest of the trip. Plus, the hotel restaurant was a little expensive. Because we had to leave the hotel at 3:00 a.m. in the morning for our flight from Heathrow, we decided to hire a cab because we didn't want to be on the public system with our luggage at that hour. I had read and printed out information on who and who not to hire for a cab. I had also read to check with hotel staff for assistance. So, we asked the hotel staff and they have a program with a cab company with only a set fixed price from their hotel to Heathrow. I asked them two or three times to verify with me that the price is fixed and under no circumstances will we get ripped off or surprised when we get to Heathrow. They assured me each time I asked that the price will never change based on any condition. Well, you know what happened--we got to Heathrow and the driver charged us $16 more. I told him about the price we were given at the hotel. His response was that he charges more for three o'clock in the morning. What a liar---the normal ride to Heathrow is one hour and we arrived in 20 minutes because we were practically the only ones on the road---the guy makes more money per hour at three o'clock in the morning. I told him I was going to report him to the hotel; he was real snotty and said he didn't care. So, I am going to report it to the hotel (we just got back a couple of days ago).

Stayed August 2007
Hanover
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

The central location to the underground and the railway station Victoria station convinced us (400 to 500 meters distance). The rezeption is appropriate for 3 stars. Helpfulness of the people at the reception desk is to be emphasized. The rooms are very small, but this probably because of the central (expensive) location (Euro 58,- p.P. and night). Otherwise the rooms are clean. The bed size (Queen Size) is exaggerated. For two people rather too small. The breakfast (continental) - like also the operation staff (many Indo-Brits) - is to give up. In the whole one nevertheless: recommendable.

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — breakfast and service team at breakfast
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Blackpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2007

Great location and an OK place to stay. I'd read the previous reviews with growing concern before I stayed but I was pleasantly surprised.

You get what you pay for. The room was fine (even had air-con), mind you I did have a view over-looking the square. Breakfast was excellent and the service (including booking in and out) was good - no complaints.

Would I stay again?

Mmmm..... probably yes.

• Liked — Location, location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Westminster? Share your experiences!