“definitely conform to expectations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Nadler Kensington

Save Saved
You added The Nadler Kensington to your Saves list
The Nadler Kensington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Courtfield Gardens, Kensington | Kensington, London SW5 0PG, England (Earls Court)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% discount
Ranked #49 of 1,074 Hotels in London
Milan, Italy
“definitely conform to expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

For a London Hotel base2stay is very good value. We had a room that was perfectly adequate, particularly if you are sightseeing all day. The desk/TV/wifi are all pluses. The room is spacious for a city, clean, comfortable, with an excellent shower and the kitchenette is a real bonus. The staff are really friendly and very accommodating. Would I stay here again, yes I definitley would, it fulfilled everything I required in a city stay for a few nights. The location for tubes is brilliant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Calgary,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for six nights late January. The location has excellent access to the tube at earls court for Circle, District and a direct route to and from Heathrow airport on the Piccadilly line. There is an elevator to Piccadilly line and also for the District line train but it is difficult to find at the very back of the tube station. If you have luggage, just look for the elevator signs if you need to take the District line to or from Victoria Station for the Gatwick express or National Rail. It does take about 15 minutes to get into the west end and our business was done near Aldgate East which was a 20 minute tube ride.

There is a Starbucks within a ten minute walk along with a few good pubs and the usual take away food shops. Various resteraunts nearby as well. The mediocre pub food is for the tourists and you won't find anyone who has eaten it before, eating it again. If you want an awesome supermarket walk one block to Cromwell road and there is a huge Sainsburys with everything you could want. They sell whole roasted chickens for 5 pounds along with pizzas which they will make and cook for you in store. There is good, inexpensive wine and beer at the far back of the store. Try the Rioja's from Spain.

If you want an amazing food experience, go to Borough market on Thursday, Friday or saturday. It is incredible.

The hotel is decent but we found it noisy at times. Our room was 107 and faced the Mews which if you are like us and don't know what that is, it is a parking lot between buildings where the dumpsters are kept. The people above us were extremely loud and routinely sounded like they were doing jumping jacks all night. We did complain to the front desk and the noise would stop for a while but always restarted. The risk of Boutique hotels is always noise. They seem to be that way for us and because of this we tend to avoid them.

The kitchenette is exactly that. Do not plan to cook here! It is not intended for cooking, rather just a place to microwave a frozen dinner from the supermarket. There is a desk but no table so you must sit on the bed to eat. I can't stress this enough. The shower was amazing with it's pressure but it did spray all over the place and the floor gets quite wet. Still the shower was a high light for us. Washroom in general was huge for London and really was new and very nice. Individual heat control but it never seemed to work quite right. If you set it at 23 to get warm it would blow heat for about an hour and them start blowing cold for and hour unless you shut it off. This is manageable once you are aware of it though. There is an elevator in the hotel and as others have stated, there are a few stairs that you must use but if you are in London you should not be concerned with stairs.

The room was spotless every day. They clean it well and kudos to the housekeeping staff and their manager.

The big reason this hotel failed us was the bed. When we booked this room we called the hotel directly and spoke to someone to make the reservation and also to ensure the bed was a real double bed. In London and in fact most of Europe, they just push two single beds together and call it a king. We have travelled to london over 30 times and are all to aware of this. That is why we called them from canada. We were assured of a "proper" double bed but low and behold, we got two singles pushed together. If you don't like your partner this would be handy because of the hard ridge running down the center of the beds which makes it virtually impossible to be comfortable unless you each stick to your own single bed! They try to mask it with some padding but the fact here is they have rooms with real beds but even after we called them to insure we were allotted one of these we were still given the two beds as one deal. I realise there are many people this would not bother but if it was promised, it should have been done. We complained about this and we were told the other rooms were full and "not as nice anyway." This can't be passed off as an oversight because of the events which took place.

At 107 pounds a night this is not good value.

In closing I would not recommend this hotel unless you pay nothing until you inspect the room to ensure it is exactly what you expect. We will not return as there are better options out there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Masuma A, Guest Relations Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Hi Mitch, thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. We would like to apologise for the mix-up with your room. This was a mistake on our part because your message got lost in translation. When you called our staff were under the impression you were just confirming that our Standard Double has a ‘proper double mattresses – which they do. Therefore, when we decided to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our King rooms on your arrival, we did not anticipate there to be an issue. In essence, we thought we were doing something nice and giving you a much larger room for your long stay, and are sorry that there were then no standard doubles, which you had booked, to move you back into. These are smaller rather than ‘not as nice’! Once again, we apologise for our error, made in good faith.
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

For a London Hotel base2stay is very good value. We had a room that was perfectly adequate, particularly if you are sightseeing all day. I would add her that the desk/TV/wifi are all pluses. The room is spacious for a city, clean, comfortable, with an excellent shower and the kitchenette is a real bonus. For two of our nights we picked up microwave meals from Waitrose and a bottle of wine. Decent mug of tea in the morning with real milk straight from our fridge. The staff are really friendly and very accommodating. My only negative observation is this: the beds, in another couple of years will need replacing, already the sprung element can be felt in the matress. Would I stay here again, yes I definitley would, it fulfilled everything I required in a city stay for a few nights. The location for tubes is brilliant although we walked almost everywhere. The V & A is just my favourite museum. Lots of supermarkets/restaurants etc very close by.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a wonderful review. We have taken your comments on board and will definitely have a look at the mattresses – thank you for bringing this to our attention. It’s great to know that you took full advantage of the mini-kitchen, which is so useful when you’ve been out and about in the city all day and then can come home and make yourself a well-deserved cuppa!
Flossmoor, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed here for three nights on a solo trip to London. I've stayed in the Earl's Court area before and like the location as it's a bit out of the touristy zone, but has great transit links for getting around. This hotel was much nicer than the Premier Inn up the street where I stayed last trip.

I had a standard single, which was small, but the bed was comfortable and I didn't hear much noise from other guests. And really, when I'm in London I really just want a place to leave my stuff and have an undisturbed sleep, as I don't spend that much time in my room. The kitchenette is a real bonus: it's great to have a fridge and there are numerous markets within walking distance for stocking it. Free wifi is nice too. The only complaint I have is that the bed was the only place to sit if I wanted to watch TV and I kept bumping the light switch that was on the headboard. That's a minor quibble and I would certainly stay here again. I think the price is excellent (though I still get sticker shock from London hotel prices, even after multiple visits).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband & I stayed 4 nights in mid January while attending a trade show at Earls Court. It's in a great location -3 mins walk to the Earls Court tube station & just a few mins more to the exhibition centre. The room was smallish - however we did opt for a king size bed which was very comfortable. The bathroom was really spacious with nice toiletries. We loved having a kitchenette so we could self cater for breakfast & the coffee machine was a real bonus!
The staff were super helpful & each night they gave us a restaurant recommendation that could be walked to - along with a discount voucher for that establishment. The food at all 4 restaurants we tried was superb & was excellent value as well.
One staff member booked the Eurostar train to Paris for me as I was having trouble doing it on my iPad & could not print off the tickets - I was very appreciative as it did take some time to do!!
We will definitely return to this hotel - cannot speak highly enough of it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your lovely review. Our Nespresso machines are a recently added feature in all our larger rooms – so it’s great to know that guests are enjoying them. It’s fair to say that London is not inexpensive and that’s why we know it’s great to have exclusive discounts here and there –even more so when the restaurants impress! Our staff are there to ensure our guests to feel as comfortable as possible and to help with all their needs so it’s great to hear they made the difference. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and we can’t wait to see you return!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We spent 5 nights here in January. The location is excellent - quiet, stylish, and only a couple of minutes walk to Earl's Court underground. Wifi service was excellent - free, included all our devices, and good bandwidth at all times. Staff were generally agreeable and helpful, with one exception (but you get that occasionally). Rooms are a little tight, but well appointed and comfortable, with the exception noted below. Cost is reasonable for the style of accommodation and the location.

According to our experience, don't stay on the lower ground floor. The first room we had (LG9, I think) was directly below the reception desk and office. The building has floorboards, not slab flooring, and we heard every footstep the whole night! Also, this room was cold! Curiously, the building seems not to have central heating, only air conditioning. This room was adjacent to a light well, and despite heavy curtains the cold came into the room from the window. The aircon couldn't cope. Our booking arrangements required us to move for the 3rd night, and we requested a room on a higher floor. The staff obliged, but the room we got had a bed that had completely collapsed on one side. There was no argument, they immediately arranged for an alternative, but it was only available for one night, so we had to move rooms again for the fourth night. Finally this room (on the 1st floor) was fine. Good beds, warm, and quiet.

The breakfast arrangement is cute. Order the night before and you get a paper bag delivered in the morning with the croissant of your choice, corn flakes, milk, yoghurt and fruit juice. A £7 it's cheaper than a cafe breakfast. The in-room Nespresso machine is also a great touch for the morning cup of coffee, although not all rooms have one. Brekkie was late every morning, but what the heck, we were on holidays!

I think we were just unlucky with our initial room experience. Overall we thought this was good accommodation, and it complemented what was an excellent stay in London, complete with snow! We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Masuma A, Guest Relations Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable time in ‘snowy’ London and that base2stay was able to be a part of your experience. We would like to thank you for your comments [and for your patience] and apologise for the inconveniences that occurred during your stay. The Reception is naturally busy but that should not disturb guests; we apologise and we will investigate the noise levels in that room. All our rooms have individually controlled heating and cooling systems and with the cold winter season we do offer extra blankets and heaters at Reception. The adjoining patio, which makes rooms on this level very popular in summer, shouldn’t cause issues with cold so we will look at this also in case draught-proofing needs improving. I am sorry you had to change rooms, but I’m delighted that when once you were settled you had everything you needed! Our mattresses should be regularly checked so thank you for bringing the issue to our attention. We will replace it as soon as we have checked it. I do hope that you will visit us again soon so that we can make sure we show you the best of the base2stay experience.
Las Cruces
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My home-away-from-home in London, base2stay is consistenly excellent. My highest praise goes to the staff, who are helpful in every way whenever I need it. The location near Earl's Court tube station is perfect, giving access to both the Piccadilly Line (Heathrow and the West End), and the District Line.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Masuma A, Guest Relations Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
It’s great to be described as your ‘home-away-from-home’ and we hope that we continue to always serve this role for you. Our staff are totally guest-orientated and will do everything they can to help or assist. Thank your kind comments and we hope that you return ‘home’ very soon!

Been to The Nadler Kensington? Share your experiences!