“Great location but that's about where it stopped” 1 of 5 stars

Quality Crown Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8-14 Talbot Square, Paddington, London W2 1TS, England   |
Ranked #617 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Montrose, Australia
“Great location but that's about where it stopped”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

A group of us from work were staying here for the weekend between meetings and work booked us in,

The location of the hotel as excellent as it was s short stroll from Paddington Railway Station and London Underground Station and easily with a suitcase. As Paddington is the London end of the Heathrow Express train, it was very handy as no trying to take suitcases onto the Tube.

Unfortunately, location is the one and only thing going for this hotel.

The chap on Reception was rude and arrogant and didn't appear to know anything about customer service and was quite put out by our group all booking in together.

It was just as well that I didn't travel with a cat because the room was so tiny, there was no way I could swing a cat around. There was a double bed up against the wall and you had climb over it to open the curtains (drapes) if you wanted natural light.

I had two cold showers before I realised that if you turned the tap on hot and left the water running for 20+ minutes the water would get hot enough but that seems so unnecessarily wasteful.

The place is poorly signposted inside and it took about 10 minutes to actually locate the dining level because I was simply told it was on the lower level so I took a set of stairs down but the household staff had the stairwell blocked with a vacuum cleaner so I had to go back up and use the other set of stairs at the opposite end of the building and even once I was downstairs, it was hard to find. It didn't matter anyway as the fake scrambled eggs and greasy sausages did not taste very nice at all.

There was wifi available but it was so slow it was nearly unusable.

Despite it's great location, it would not ever again be my hotel of choice and I recommend others look for alternate lodgings unless the price is VERY good.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The hotel from the outside looks exactly like it does in the brochure/on the internet. I was excited and had really high hopes, but as soon as I stepped inside my hopes were dashed.

The guests sitting on the chairs in the foyer looked very unsavoury/grubby/dodgy. The receptionist was pleasant and I decided that I would check in and give the hotel a second chance.....I am a fool!

We were given rooms on the third floor. That room location is not an issue until you are told that the lift is broken and they don't know when it will be fixed! Two flights of steps have to be climbed to access each floor, so six flights later we get to our rooms. Luckily the concierge offered to carry our suitcases up. Then I opened my bedroom door.......I was even more disappointed.

The bedroom was clean, but the carpet was threadbare in places and the furniture reminded me of a Butlins chalet in the 80s/90s! The signature blue on the walls and on the bed looks cheap and old fashioned. Everything needs updating! They also need to forget about leaving the two free chocolates on the bedside table, it really dates the room and has no purpose.

I however was luckier then my colleague who found dried blood on the duvet! For her that was the last straw and she checked out on the second day of our stay and went to a budget hotel. I stuck it out for the week, but I can't understand how this hotel has been classified as a 3 star hotel. In my opinion it should have no more than 2 stars!!

On a positive note, the breakfast is plentiful. There is lots of variety from fresh fruit through to a cooked breakfast. The hotel provides free wifi. Also the staff are all friendly and helpful. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from Paddington station in one direction and Lancaster tube in the other. Further if you are walking towards Lancaster tube station then Hyde Park is across the road.

Room Tip: A room at the front of the hotel provides nice views over the square.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Linforth, Management at Quality Crown Hyde Park, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Debbie665,

Many thanks for sharing your experience.

The hotel will soon undergo a full refurbishment and will reopen as a boutique hotel in few months time.

We hope to have you stay with us then to provide you with a much more enhanced experience.

Best regards,

Larvik, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We booked a suite/ flat, and ended up in another building 3 mins away. No problems, this was even closer to Tube and restaurants. Could have been mentioned earlier, though. This was without reception and with only one key for 4 ppl. Inconvenient.

The breakfast was super at the nearby hotel. Flat was OK, but a bit worn. The double bed was terrible, and there was something wrong with the water into the toilet (flat 1).

The price/ stay ratio was fair. Worth it with super breakfast.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Linforth, Management at Quality Crown Hyde Park, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Jornandersen,

Thank you very much for feedback which has been shared with the property manager and we hope to welcome you again to provide you with an enhanced experience.

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that it's convenient to Paddington Station if you are taking the Heathrow Express or want to be close to a train or Underground station.

We were staying at another hotel in the area that had a two-night minimum stay, and we needed a room for a single night later in our trip. I went to the hotel reception and asked the clerk what the best rate would be for a single night. The clerk grumpily told me she had "no idea" what the rates were "because they change every day", and gave me the hotel's business card and told me to book online. This interaction should have been a clue as to what to expect, but we went ahead and booked a single night anyway. As is standard practice, we gave our credit card information online to hold the reservation.

When we arrived at the hotel for our stay, the clerk informed us that there was a hold on our credit card account for the price of the room . This was not indicated to us on the online booking. She then asked us to pay for the room in advance. This also was not indicated to us on the online booking. I said I would prefer to pay when we checked out - which, I should mention, was acceptable at every other hotel I have stayed at in the UK. She told us that if we paid when we checked out, there would be two charges for the same amount on our bill. At this point, I just wanted to get into the room and get on with my day, so I agreed to pay in advance.

Then we were required to fill out a form which asked for our nationality and for our passport numbers. Again, I have never had to provide this information at any other hotel I have stayed at in the UK. As it was, my passport was locked up in my luggage, and I wasn't about to dig through my bag in the lobby to get it out. I informed the clerk of this and she basically refused to check me in until I provided the information. I finally managed to get her to accept my driver's license as ID, and we got into the room.

Although the room was small and faced a heating vent, I definitely would not classify it as a 4-star hotel room, as the hotel claims on its website. It was clean and comfortable, but worn around the edges. However, the worst thing about it was the noise from the room above. Whoever was walking around up there was definitely not trying to walk hard, but not only did the footsteps thump, they made the ceiling creak loudly. We could also hear quite clearly whenever they did anything in the washroom. Unfortunately for us, the walking around in the room above started at 6 am in the morning, which ruined our sleep.

As if all this wasn't enough, when we checked out, before we could leave - despite having paid in advance, we were required to sign an invoice with a balance of $0.

I have written an email to the hotel via their website, asking for the hotel manager's name and email so as to convey my complaints about the stay, but not surprisingly have not received any response or even acknowledgement,

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Linforth, Management at Quality Crown Hyde Park, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Wanderful604,

Thank you for your review and I am very sorry that your stay has not been enjoyable.

To be able to investigate the matter could we please ask you to contact the manager on Malcolm@lth-hotels.com

Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Had the misfortune to book this hotel with booking .com on a weekend trip to London. Arrived at the hotel at 11.30 am and were asked to leave our luggage with reception as our Club room was not yet prepared,which was fine. We stated that we would return later that evening and clarified that it would not be a problem. we were informed absolutely not,our room would be waiting for us. This,however,was far from the case. We returned to the hotel at 10.15 pm to be met by two very unhelpful receptionists who insisted that we pay for the stay upfront and in full. We stated that we had booked the room through Booking .com and that they had our credit card details for our pre-booked Club double room already. They said they now needed to process the card and take payment. We were offered help to our room as the lift was broken,an added bonus! On arriving at our allocated room we were met with the smallest room imaginable,clearly not the Club double which we had booked.We returned to reception and asked why we had been given a room that was clearly not a Club room,only to be told that we were the last people to arrive and they couldn't ask the people in our room to leave! We pointed out that actually we were the first guests to arrive,not the last,and in any event on booking,our Club room was then reserved,which was confirmed by their previous receptionist. This was met with a shrug!. We asked why they had swiped our card and made the same Club charge for an inferior room which they clearly knew that they were not providing. This was met with silence. We said we would then leave as they could not provide us with the room we had booked so we would require a refund. We were told that they could not give refunds but that they could provide a Club room at their sister hotel around the corner. We agreed,however on arriving at this hotel the receptionist apologetically told us that the only room they had left was the same very small double and didn't know why we had been sent to that hotel. Could it be to pass the buck? We left and booked ourselves into a much better alternative hotel and for the same price! On seeing the manager the next morning an apology and a full refund was offered. Two weeks later and we have still not yet received our refund.The manager does not respond to his e-mails. The charge is now disputed with Amex. Very unscrupulous practice!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Linforth, Management at Quality Crown Hyde Park, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear TonyDag,

Many thanks for your review and I am very sorry to hear this.

Could I please ask you to contact me on stay@qualitycrown.com as we will need information to trace your reservation and investigate the matter.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Booked for a one night stay, paid with 3rd party credit card. ( my mum kindly paid for our room) Asked to provide additional information as agreed with reservations who then go back on what they've agreed. Payment had already been made 2 weeks previously. I then have to pay again. I then have to pay £20 deposit for keys???? I'm feeling like a criminal at this point!!!! Reception staff were as helpful as they could be. Now the apartment... Not actually in the hotel 5 minutes round the corner up 4 flights of stairs was ok. My children complained about the mattresses the springs were poking through. And there was a lot of street noise in the night. The kitchen worktop was heavily marked & the bedding had what looked ink marks on it. I certainly won't be returning to this hotel. There is no way our accommodation was 4 star. The hotel might be but we didn't stay in the hotel!! The only saving grace for us was the wifi & the breakfast which was provided by the sister hotel that was gorgeous.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Linforth, Management at Quality Crown Hyde Park, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Bow14,

Many thanks for your feedback and I am sorry that your stay was not as enjoyable as one would have liked.

Your comments have been passed to the hotel manager who will investigate this further.

Thank you once again for your review.

Best regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Staff were excellent and helped with everything we needed, good location and close to tubes etc, the room was over priced.. Couldn't walk round our 4 post bed without stepping side ways! The hotel just seemed cramped. Tele was but it an awkward position due to one of the posts blocking the view.. Unable to move the tele before ppl say "just move the tele",

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Linforth, Management Office at Quality Crown Hyde Park, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Marcel O,

Many thanks for sharing your experience and I am sorry to hear that you have not overall enjoyed your stay.

The hotel will soon be transformed into a luxury boutique hotel and we hope to welcome you then to provide you with an enhanced experience.

Jalila

Been to Quality Crown Hyde Park? Share your experiences!