“Does what it says on the tin” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands

You added Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Silvertown Way | Canning Town, London E16 1EA, England (East End / East London)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #556 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Does what it says on the tin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The hotel is in a fantastic location, about 2 minutes walk from the tube/DLR station. (its about 15 minutes into central london).

The room was clean, comfortable and unremarkable. I paid 74 pounds for one night at very short notice which wasn't bad at all.

Some of my fellow guests were being a bit noisy coming up from the hotel bar - but nothing after 12:00. There was no traffic noise, despite being next to a main road and in the flightpath of London City Airport.

The complimentary continental breakfast was, again exactly what you'd expect. There were sausages, eggs and beans, so halfway to a full english. If you didn't fancy something so heavy, there were plenty of other options, including yoghurt, fresh fruit, fruit juice, cereal, toast, croissants and wierdly enough, doughnuts. All these were just what you'd expect from a holiday inn express - competent, but nothing spectacular. There was also a doug egberts coffee machine with a huge array of options - all of them very nice. Also, free newspapers, which was great!

One aspect of the stay that I found was surprisingly great were the staff, they were incredibly attentive, good humored and responsive to my needs. I would give them 5 stars.

Overall, perfect for a brief visit at an affordable price.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in April 2015 and found it to be way below the standard of service I would expect for the prices they charge.

The staff were surly and disinterested and at times downright rude. They never smiled in the whole time I was there and were across the board unhelpful.

The hotel does not do any food in the evenings and the bar is appallingly stocked with a terrible selection of drinks available. No real ales whatsoever. Wine was expensive and served with bits of cork in it. I'm surprised they didn't charge me extra for the cork! The bright lighting in the seating area is not relaxing at all.

The rooms are clean enough but very basic. Bed was uncomfortable and the road outside was noisy. There was no bath which is especially annoying as I was working long days on my feet and could really have done with a soak. No power sockets near the bed for phone charging and alarm. Corridors smelled of cigarette smoke. If I opened my window then cigarette smoke wafted in to my room. Sometimes this was the staff of the hotel doing the smoking!

I parked at the car park at the rear of the hotel and despite this hotel being in the middle of no where they still charge the astonishing price of £10 per day to park there overnight. You could of course leave your car outside on the street but the area is riddled with crime and there is little guarantee that your car would still be there the next day.

To enter and exit the car park you have to go through barriers. Virtually every time I approached a barrier I had to wait quite some time before the staff lifted it up. Pressing the barrier intercom on the way in sometimes made no difference. Exiting the car park was even more tedious. Despite me asking for the exit code to lift the barrier I was told sternly by a female receptionist that I couldn't have it and that they would lift the barrier for me. The usual wait ensued with the longest wait being 8 minutes to get out of the frikking car park!!!! No intercom on the exit so you simply have to wait. After a few days this shockingly bad system starts to drive you crackers!

I book a lot of rooms for myself and my employees in and around Excel over the course of a year and this place is now on the DO NOT BOOK list. Mainly because of the attitude of the employees. I would not recommend this place to anyone for any reason. There are many cheaper and better alternatives in and around excel to choose from.
:-)

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Gold Coast, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The hotel was in a good location for the convention we were attending at ExCel, only a 15 minute walk. On days that the convention finished early or wasn't on, we jumped on the tube into London City for an adventure. The rooms were clean and the bathroom of a reasonable size. I enjoyed the breakfast and would stay here again if another convention came up.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Tracie1309, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Marlee_Reanne,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It's something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. We Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are visiting the area.
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Great overnight stay in a good location on the Friday before "marathon weekend"

Room on 2nd floor looking towards Canary Wharf was clean and tidy and well laid out

Good breakfast with hot (scrambled egg, sausage, toast and beans) and cold selection (cereals, yoghurts, rolls, fruit)

A few minutes walk to Canning Town station and into the city within 15 minutes

Visited the Italian restaurant next door and had a good meal

Will definitely look at staying here again

Stayed April 2015
Dear JamesNMorse,

Thank you for taking the tim,e to write a review on your recent stay at The Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would return the the hotel again when visiting the area. Thank you for your great comments and we hope to see you again soon.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for day from 25/4/15
Ok hotel, clean .
Staff helpful
Free wifi - fantastic
Small bathroom, not enough shower gel in the shower gel dispenser
Didn't like the breakfast, tasteless scrambled eggs, no bacon

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Tracie1309, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear ayinkusus,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I am sorry that we did not quite meet your expectations during your stay. I have fed back your comments regarding the shower gel to the Housekeeping Manager. Our breakfast offering at Holiday Inn Express, does not include bacon. We offer a continental breakfast with limited hot items of scrambled egg, sausage and baked beans included in the price of your room. Our sister hotels at Holiday Inn are full service hotels and offer a full cooked english breakfast for a supplement. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

This hotel is only 3 mins walk to Canning Town tube which made travelling to city centre very easy. Our room was very clean and comfortable , and staff couldn't have been more helpful. They were always waiting with a smile . Breakfast was really good . The bus from that airport dropped us right outside. Also only one stop away from the O 2 . The Italian restaurant next door was excellent. Would definitely stay again

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Liz P,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It's something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. I am so pleased to hear that you will stay with us again, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Lyndhurst, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I reviewed this hotel previously and we had occasion to again stay in London. It's a really good budget hotel, located very close to Canning Town Tube Station and it took no time at all to get into theatre land and see a show. Rooms are spacious, all you could need for a short stay and the prices are sensible. Breakfast as I said before is a good continental with some cooked items but perfectly adequate and appropriate to the price. We will definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Good value good location for tube to central London
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Tracie1309, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear SaxonBoy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at The Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I am so pleased that you returned to the hotel and had a great stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are visiting the area.
General Manager.

Been to Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands? Share your experiences!