“Nice rooms....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands

You added Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Silvertown Way | Canning Town, London E16 1EA, England (East End / East London)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #542 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“Nice rooms....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

5 of us wanted to stay in London for bank holiday Sunday to Monday and we found this hotel at a very good rate. We had two double rooms and one of them
Had a sofa bed which was made up already when we got there. Must say sofa bed wasn't the most comfortable nights sleep ever but we thought £70 a night for the double then £35 extra for sofa bed was very good value. Breakfast was average. Can park for 24 hours for £10 in hotel car park too. Could maybe do with a few more signs somewhere to tell you how to get to places as we walked for miles in the wrong direction to get a meal somewhere when canning town tube is literally up the road but in the opposite direction to what we had been in

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Tracie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Georgie10,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at the holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that you did not find the area to be signposted well enough. We do have tube maps and maps of the local area and the reception team are very knowledgeable on the local area. I hope you choose to stay with us again the next time you visit London.
Tracie Barrie.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

As a platinum member of Holiday inn, I have stayed extensively in UK and Europe, this hotel is a great location, clean and generally a descent hotel, I have stayed here on a lot of occasions but have never come across staff as miserable, unhelpful and as rude as I have today, not just with myself but also other guest. I don't expect reception staff to be chewing gum when I am being booked in, the lady with long dark hair deserves special mention, as she excels at scowling and looking totally fed up and clearly wishing she was somewhere else ( I certainly wish she was ) I shall not come back to this hotel. I would recommend the Holiday Inn express in Greenwich as an alternative.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are generally quieter.
Dear TravellingT970,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at The holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I was very concerned to read your comments regarding the staff and would like to look into this further. I would be grateful if you could e-mail me your reservation number direct as I am unable to locate your reservation from your TripAdvisor name. This will allow me to carry out further investigations into your feedback. My direct e-mail is tracie.barrie@redefinebdl.com.
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I booked this hotel during a busy period for 4 nights, and for last 2 nights Expedia charged me 450 and 304 USD per night. Ok sometimes you had to pay a lot to get a room in a hotel but usually you end up in a nice hotel. This MOTEL has the worst services and rooms, but they can charge 450 USD?? If you have conference around here, you can take train back to the city. You can take Jubilee or DLR to any city center easily so don't waste your time and money in this bad hotel.

for 450 USD, breakfast was horrible, internet was so slow (you had faster version for more money), rooms were so old and bad, i never felt so ripped off..

I also needed to cancel my last night because i had a very early flight from Gatwick and hotel did not let me to do it. Then i had to take a cab from this hotel. Hotel told me it will cost 70 pounds and i told them i am going to pay by credit card and they said ok. First of all car was private, and this driver told me (after we departed) i had to pay 75 pounds if i want to pay by card and i told him that i will pay 70 pounds and he threatened me to leave me in the middle of the road (which was rural south London) and yes i had to pay

great hotel services as you can see

Room Tip: don't stay here
Dear travelmaniacAZ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at The Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations during your visit and you was unhappy with the price you paid through Expedia. We do offer a best price guarantee at the hotel if you book direct with us. I would like to thank you again for your honest comments as all guest feedback, good or bad helps us to improve our services.
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights 21/22 may. We chose this hoyel due to the location- we had tickets for the darts final at the o2 1 stop away on the tube. The hotel is directly up the road from canning town tube 5 minute walk. Check in was easy and I have no issues with our room perfectly fine we wernt there much, we were in room 306 opposite the lift which suprisly was not noisy at all, we could see the 02 from our window too! The main road is pretty busy but couldnt hear it once the window was closed. Its a lovely hotel and for the o2 is perfect and only took us 30 minutes to get to camden on the tube. Only 3 very small downsides-1. Our bed creaked so much on the first night that we kept waking each other up when we moved in our sleep-not great if you move alot in your sleep, we didnt mention this to hotel staff as its not a complaint, the bed itself was perfectly comfortable. 2-free breakfast, this is a really nice touch especially for a london hotel, t it wasnt great but it was free. 3 my oonly real gripe with this hotel is that I requested to borrow an iron and ironing board and I had to collect it from reception myself- I have never ihad to do this at any other hotel I have stayed in, to ask a guest to carry an ironing board and iron from reception and back again is just bad customer service! I would stay again if going to the o2 but make sure my clothes are throughly ironed before I leave home!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear jemina1183,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and sorry to hear that you had a few issues during your visit. I will feed back your comments to the management team as all guest feedback helps us to improve our products and services.
Poole, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed here overnight while attending an event at the 02. It was convienent being close to the location but there is actually another Holiday Inn much closer. This was booked per his company being why we ended up here. Breakfast was decent as always and parking is £10.00 per night in their car park. We had a helluva time getting to this location before the event due to the crazy traffic (London, what do you expect?) and it was rush hour. Our room was located facing the front of the building so with the window open, you can hear everything and a lot of people were hanging out in the front, but with it closed, it was quiet as can be. There is an in room air conditioner which I do love that the Holiday Inn's have which made it comfortable and convenient oppose to so many other places that do not have this (still can not get use to not having AC in hotels in England). Our room was big with a double bed and couch. Large bathroom also. If you are hungry in the evening there is no restaurant here which is a bit of a bummer. They only have a bar open for drinks. So if you are hungry you are out of luck. I did notice people ordering pizza and I also saw a few walking in with McDonalds which is probably walking distance nearby somewhere. I didn't check. So as far as the hotel goes, it's good... location good but could be better (ie. holiday inn down the street from the 02) and no restuarant in hotel or nearby - not so good.

Dear SilleBliss,

I am pleased to read that you found our location to be good for the O2 although not your first choice. We have a variety of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and the reception team have menus for these venues along with a selection of take away menus. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.
Tracie Barrie
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

How different can two reviews be? I have to say, that the gentleman last reviewing missed out on some great food from Pepeneros next door!!!!

For what is traditionally classed as a budget Hotel chain, the prices can be high but there are many takers because of its convenience to certain places. I personally enjoy the industrial/urban surroundings, having seen it change since my childhood and go from somewhere you definitey wouldnt walk alone in the evenings to a modern clean and ever changing vibe.
The hotel is interior designed in a classy, stylish and funky way in the bar area, and kitchen canteenish in the breakfast area. The rooms are nicely styled and spacious and pretty well sound proofed. I certainly heard no road noise if the window was closed.
My companions had a disabled access room with wet room, all of which totally suited their needs. They did have a problem with the sink tap though. Over use by people who have hand movement issues can mean they have to put more pressure on the faucet. I imagine this had caused the actual tap to move at its base and a leak appeared during their stay which puddled on the floor their first night. This is something the designers need to address for disabled rooms, make the tap more easy to turn on and off.
No, the Hotel doesnt have its own evening restaurant but there is a fantastic restaurant called Pepeneros in the ground level of the apartment building next door and there is a supermarket next door and vending machine for choc and crisps in the hotel too. Free Wifi and also free computers in the business centre.
I was surprised to see the walk-in price for a room was 220 odd and I feel the just over 100 we paid per room per night was acceptable because it was a weekend and because it is London. Apparently some people DO pay the higher price, probably business people who turn up last minute and have no choice - paid for by the company tho!
We WOULD happily stay there again, the staff were lovely, particularly Elizabetha, but only if there was a good deal. It isnt plush enough to warrant higher prices.
As for places to visit nearby, Excel centre has a number of restaurant, the Skyline ski lift is a 5 minute walk away, destination The Dome, The Barrier Park is a minute's drive or 15 minute walk away with views of the Barrier and river and a tea room.
Cheapest petrol is NOT the next one (400yds) , the BP, going East, but continue to the roundabout, about half a mile, and the one with the On the Run Cafe is cheapest.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Tracie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Gail T,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I am pleased that you found our location to be handy to get in and out of the City and that you enjoyed the hotel surroundings.There is a lot of regeneration going on in the docklands area and I am sure on your next visit there will have been many more improvements to the area you have seen change since your childhood. I appreciate your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
Tracie Barrie
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I cannot think of anything positive or really negative to say about this hotel. Its location I guess is convenient for the Excel Exhibition Center and just a short walk from the DLR station. Otherwise it is situated pretty much on its own next to a busy main road. I don't know where Holiday Inn position these hotels but like many HI Express properties, this one whilst clean and modern falls short of the best that Premier Inn have to offer (see my review for Premier Inn Waterloo). There isn't any facility for eating at night so you are obliged to either take a trip into the nearby Canary Wharf via Bus or DLR or there is a reasonable Italian restaurant situated in a building next door. The buffet breakfast is very clinical and not overly appetising. It isn't a bad place but there just isn't any atmosphere, I think there is probably more on the moon. I am glad I booked early and got a decent discount otherwise I would have felt short changed at the standard room rate

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Veteran75,

I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations during your visit and you found that the location of the hotel did not have much to offer. We have many restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and have copies of each menu at our reception desk. I appreciate your feedback as it helps us to understand what is really important to our guests.
Tracie Barrie.

Been to Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands? Share your experiences!