“Don't Eat the Breakfast” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express London City

You added Holiday Inn Express London City to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express London City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   275 Old Street, London EC1V 9LN, England (East End / East London)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #558 of 1,066 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Don't Eat the Breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Adequate hotel, conveniently situated. Staff were helpful at check-in, useless in the morning. The breakfast was shocking. Room was comfortable and shower okay, but I paid £100 for one night and nothing was supplied for shower; no room service; no concierge. Aircon did not work. Over-priced. Poor hotel - don't bother.

• Stayed March 2013
City_General_Manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Neil M,
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us here at the hotel. I'm sorry you found the breakfast service poor. We had now introduced a welcome host to help guests at busy periods and explain how the complimentary breakfast works. Being a Holiday Inn Express, we are a limited service hotel and don't have some of the facilities you would expect from a Holiday Inn, Room Service and Concierge are two examples of this. We did have some issues with our AC system for a few days but I am pleased to report this is now back in full working order.
Thank you again for your review and comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Haddenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend and as the hotel sits near a busy intersection I thought the noise would be awful. However, we had a room at the front of the hotel and it was extremely quiet. The bathroom was good with a nice big shower cubicle and good water pressure. Room was clean and well thought out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MarianneDenHaag,
Thank you for your review on my hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that the secondary glazing we installed at the front of the hotel works and you had a nice quiet nights sleep.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed 1night on business ... Room on second floor, good location close to tube station and 15minute walk from Liverpool St station. Room immaculate , as if brand new ! Spotless and very comfy.. Bathroom ..shower only but very good room. Breakfast a good choice of cereals, breads etc and hot food of egg,sausage ,beans etc. Allinall , a great short stop over hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dewi P,
Thank you for your great and positive review on our hotel. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Just celebrated my son's 30th Birthday in London and after a fairly full on evening in Shoreditch with family and his ex uni friends was grateful for the short safe walk back to the Holiday Inn Express. Cannot fault the hotel other than as with all hotels I prefer fresh air to air conditioning and being on the fifth floor meant that we were not allowed to open the window. A little bizarre a three inch tilt would have sufficed. Room immaculate, bathroom/shower excellent, staff as friendly and helpful as I have experienced anywhere in London, always had a smile on their faces. But the highlight which is rare these days was the self service breakfast, as much as you could consume and a good standard. Check out was 11.00am but as we were not catching a train until later that afternoon they let us leave all our luggage in a secure room until we were ready to collect. Ideal for a one/two night stay. Within easy walking distance of Old Street tube station, just head for North East exit from the tube and it is a 2 minute walk.

Room Tip: Suggest you ask for a room at the back of the hotel with a window that can be opened if you do not l...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Shropshirestile,
Thank you for your great review on our hotel. I am really pleased to read you enjoyed our free breakfast offering and liked the self service style we have.
As with many central London hotels are windows do not open which is why they are locked and we have installed air conditioning into all rooms to make the room temperature comfortable for all.
tonbridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here last year when we had functions in London on consecutive nights. Altohugh the hotel was busy (this was the halfway through the Paralympics) check-in was quick and easy. The room was big and spacious (not sure why we had two beds but I'm not complaining) and very clean. Breakfast was included in the price, and although the breakfast room was busy all the food, crockery and cutlery was continually being topped up. The tube station was only a short walk away, on the Northern Line, so nicely accessable from Central London. I would be more than happy if I never used any other budget hotel in London.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear chris a,
Thank you for your great review on our hotel. It is always nice to read when guests have enjoyed their stay with us.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

When in London, I tend to favour Accor budget hotels but on this occasion, their prices were unattractive and I wanted to boost my points with the Holiday Inn loyalty scheme - I often use this chain when in North America. The London Holiday Inn Express hotels tend to be more expensive than their US counterparts for poorer service levels. That was pretty much the story here. As a solo business traveller, I found the rooms to be a good size, quiet and with beds that are distinctly more comfortable than those offered by IBIS. I had a really good night's sleep. The bathroom was compact but clean although the paint on the ceiling above the shower was peeling away. The front desk were helpful and the hotel felt secure in what is still a rather marginal neighbourhood, although it is gentrifying fast. My main grouse was the breakfast, which came nowhere near the standard offered by IBIS - which probably reflects the French ownership of the chain - or, frankly, US Holiday Inn Express hotels that I have stayed in. The dining area was cramped and the food poorly presented and of inferior quality, particularly the fruit juices and the sausages. The tables were not being wiped down with any attention between users and the whole experience was rather unappetising. I was glad to leave. Still, it's a close call because I did sleep better than I have been doing at IBIS hotels and the room was larger and better furnished. Do I value bed rather than breakfast?

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the front of the hotel - Old Street is busy and noisy all night.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
City_General_Manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear The_Sherriff,
Thank you for your recent review on my hotel. I was pleased to read you had a comfortable nights sleep here, and preferred this hotel to our competitors on comfort. Price wise, we are fortunate to be located very close to the City but with this there does come a price tag - but I do think you will find us competitively priced against our fellow hoteliers in the area.
I'm sorry you didnt enjoy our free breakfast and I will make sure your comments are taken on board with relation to service and the presentation of our free breakfast.
Morganville, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

For the price this hotel was good. The room, while small, fit our needs, would have liked a luggage rack or something similar as we had be creative in storing things. Good free breakfast, but no free wifi and the business center was essentially non-existent. The location is actually better than I had anticipated, a short walk from the tube and a quick ride to all attractions, so no need to stay in expensive areas.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear NK42_23
Thank youf or your recent review on my hotel. I'm really pleased to read you enjoyed the free breakfast and I am also pleased to announce that we now offer free WIFI to our Priority Club Guests.
I look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to London and look forward to giving you the free internet!

Been to Holiday Inn Express London City? Share your experiences!