“U better look for something else....” 1 of 5 stars

Curzon House Hotel
58 Courtfield Gardens, London SW5 0NF, England (Earls Court)   |
Ranked #254 of 606 Specialty lodging in London
Warsaw
“U better look for something else....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2008

The worst place I`ve ever been to, except 2$ hotels in India...
Sickening bathrooms, dirty and rundown....during my 3-nights stay always something was missing there....light or hot water or toilet paper....
All of the bad opinion about this place written previously are true.
I will upload few pictures of this place..

• Liked — location.....7 min to underground
  • Disliked — everything except location...
  • Stayed January 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2007

The lady at the reception is not polite at all, the place is dirty, it stinks because of the inundations (that is not a joke: the water is leeking everywhere and nobody does nothing...), the toilets are disgusting... Only the guests are nice, very friendly. The rooms are very dirty (don't look under the beds and in the corners, please!). The TV lounge is old and so disgusting, the floor is always wet. And it is not so cheap! The sheets are dirty, never changed... Most of the furnitures are broken. The good side is that it is a very good place to party! People are drinking and smoking everywhere, always asking to have a drink: very friendly! Most of them are permanent guests, in fact it is their house, and that is the best side of this house. Partying! If you want a clean place, do not go there!!!

• Liked — Partying
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

In all seriousness, this was the worst hostel experience I'd ever had. I booked this place online because of their location and affordable price, but once I arrived I regretted it so much that I canceled the rest of my stay after spending one night. I was on a tight budget, but even then, it did not make sense to spend any more money for an unpleasant experience!

I stayed in a shared female room -- it was a very small room for 8 women (4 two-story bunk beds), and I had a hard time finding space on the floor to put my luggage down. Trash was overflowing from the garbage bin, and I have no idea when they last vacuumed the room.

The shared room was full (I was the 8th person), but most of the women were not tourists. They were foreigners who "lived" there, in search of a job or attending school. So the atmosphere was different than a place where people are coming and going. There were clothes hung around the beds, books piled on the floor, and the bathroom was crowded with toiletries.

The shared room was on the 3rd floor and the front desk in the basement, so it was a bit of an exercise carrying the luggage up 4 floors (there is no elevator). When I finally arrived on the 3rd floor, it was completely dark (there was no light in the hallway), so I had to take out my flashlight to see which door led to my room.

I didn't get a sense that the staff cared for those who stayed. For example, I was having trouble using the pay phone (which was about 5m away from the front desk), and after my third try in vain I asked for help. And the lady who was staffing the desk said, "Oh, that pay phone doesn't work." She returned me the money I spent on the phone, but didn't bother to post an "OUT OF ORDER" sign on the phone.

I almost had to hold my breath while showering, because there was a lot of mold on the walls and the ceiling. Also, one of the toilets did not have a toilet seat.

There was one coin-operated computer in the kitchen.

To be fair, one thing I did appreciate was the sheets and pillow cover the front desk gave me upon check-in. They were clean, so once I was in bed and closed my eyes, I was able to sleep.

I would not recommend staying at Curzon House to anyone unless saving a penny is of utmost importance to you at the moment.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — not clean
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2007

If you're after somewhere cheap cheerful with close proximity to underground station, shops and tourist attractions this place works a charm!

We were stuck in London, having had EasyHotels mess up our bookings. We were given a number for this hotel and told they might have room for us.

Thankfully, when we rang just before midnight, they had a few beds spare and waited in until we had arrived. Ensuring we could check in.

This is more a hostel than a hotel. But they do offer a great breakfast, have a living room where guests can socialise with other guests. The rooms and bathroom facilities are clean and the place is safe.

We only needed the room to sleep in and this place fit the requirement nicely. The staff were friendly and helpful and were very shocked by our treatment at EasyHotels.

Next time I'm in London I'll be checking in again!

• Liked — The staff were helpful and friendly
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2006

I stayed at the curzon for quite a few months and didn't want to leave. The staff there are so helpful and where willing to do whatever they could to make my stay more comfortable. They beds are great - very comfortable (they must have got some new ones since chigaco stayed) and the tv room and kitchen on the ground floor are great social areas. Some of the people i met at the Curzon will be friends for life.

If you want to enjoy your stay and meet lots of interesting people the Curzon is the place for you.

• Stayed March 2006
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2006

I had an almost identical experience to the reviewer from Chicago, although I was earlier(?), in 2002. I too was on a 25-day trip through Europe with 2 other friends and London was one of the early stops on the trip (think it was the 6th and 7th nights).

I might have gotten the same room as them too - it was a triple-room, I think on the 1st floor (it was up one or two flights of steps), with a bay window looking out across the street to the garden of a very small church.

One of my friends developed a rash on the first night sleeping in his bed. The bathroom we had was supposed to have been "private", at least that was what I was told online when I booked the room. As it turned out, we our room shared a door with the bathroom, but there was another door between the bathroom and our own room, and the bathroom was accessible to everyone! The doors kept slamming as people stumped to and fro to use it. The hot water was very erratic - it came on too slow so the first friend who showered was shivering when he was done; it reached about the right temperature when I went in after him; and it was boiling hot (and uncontrollable it seems) when my other friend went in after me!

Oh, and the every time the doors slammed, the windows would rattle alarmingly.

Again, my experience with the breakfast as similar to the other reviewer's. There was a huge, smoky crowd in the breakfast room, not much food (I can't remember what was in the fridge), and it seemed to be taken over by a bunch of very loud long-term guests. I guess that might not necessarily have been that bad a thing, but we were the only Chinese guests, and we were young - we just didn't feel very welcome at all. We had breakfast somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2002
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2004

To be fair, I'll list the positives first. It's in a beautiful location, convenient to a supermarket, internet cafes, lots of restaurants, only a few blocks from the tube... and the staff were helpful. Lonely Planet had recommended it, so we went there.

Unfortunately, it's also a dump.

The first room we stayed in was bad enough (drafty, squalid, no working power points, and up more stairs than I ever want to climb again), but after our first night, they had to move us to another double room, and it stank like something out of H. P. Lovecraft. One whiff and I was down in the basement asking for either (a) another room or (b) a refund. To be fair, they gave me the refund with very little delay, and then we were out of there.

We went to lastminute, and found a room in a 4-star hotel nearby for 59 pounds/night. The Curzon was charging 45 for a room less than half the size, with no facilities to speak of. Wish someone had recommended lastminute sooner.

• Stayed August 2004

Been to Curzon House Hotel? Share your experiences!