“Excellent personal service and a great selection in a charming little shop” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lock & Co. Hatters

Lock & Co. Hatters
London, England (Westminster / Belgravia)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #182 of 471 Shopping in London
Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: Find a custom-made hat and up-scale accessories at this fine specialty shop.
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
“Excellent personal service and a great selection in a charming little shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have thought for years of buying a very high quality, felt fedora but my unusually large hat size made them difficult to find. On a family vacation to London last year, we came across this lovely little shop a block away from our hotel. It was, from start to finish, a terrific experience. I have never purchased a quality hat before and knew little of the differences between them. The saleswoman who assisted me could not have been more solicitous or helpful. She was gracious and patient, even when I walked out undecided after spending a half an hour with her. Two days later, I returned and made the purchase. The store had numerous hats in stock in my size. The saleswoman took time to fit the hat carefully, to explain its care to me and to arrange delivery to our hotel.

I have begun wearing the hat again this winter and love it. Given my experience, I am deeply surprised by some of the negative reviews. Perhaps I was just fortunate, but I found this to be a great, memorable shopping experience.

Visited January 2013
LockandCo, General Manager at Lock & Co. Hatters, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear John, we are delighted to read that you visited our shop and had a lovely experience!

Hull
“Do not respond to questions”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Locks response to my email question if a particular hat was in stock in my size was ultra quick and I was asked if I wanted it to be put aside for me. When I then asked more questions by email about the hat itself I received no further replies at all. They clearly did not want to commit themselves by answering any questions about the properties of their hats, even though I have bought other Lock hats in the past. Did I order this particular one from their website, no! Instead I ordered similar elsewhere.

Visited October 2013
LockandCo, Guest Relations Manager at Lock & Co. Hatters, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hi Andrew, apologies for the delay in responding to your review. We have had problems with our customer communications and website, however we are pleased to reveal that in 2015 we will be launching a much-improved service.
Basel, Switzerland
“Old charm and perfect service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Went there with my Partner in July on our way to a graduation in Cambridge.
Bought two summer hats. Excellent but relaxed Service.
Not the first time a bought a hat from there but hopefully also not the last time

Visited July 2013
Thank you so much for leaving us a lovely review. We hope you enjoy wearing your Lock & Co hats each summer!
Rickmansworth
3 attraction reviews
“There is only one place to buy a hat...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Went there today and bought two hats. A Napoli for me and a Panama for the other half.

A good old-fashioned shop.

Yes - they do not fall over themselves to sell to you, but if you need help and advice they are more than helpful.

They offer discrete and reserved service. Exactly what I wanted. Not somebody breathing down my neck - just somebody to help when I needed it.

If you have been selling hats for that long, I presume you do not have to give it the hard-sell.

Visited June 2013
Thank you for your review. In our shop we want the customers to feel at ease to browse and try on hats, assisting only when necessary or asked. We pride ourselves on training our staff to exceptionally high levels and are delighted to read that you had a nice shopping experience.
Coronach, Saskatchewan, Canada
“Uncomfortable...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I recently went to London to celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary.
I had been looking forward to stopping by Lock & Co. for months, having looked at their (rather poor) website several times. This was one of the main stops in London for me.
We had eagerly walked over to St. James Street from Trafalgar Square and up to the storefront. As we entered, there was a fellow (security?) at the door and two employees inside-one elderly man with a moustache, wearing glasses and an earring and a woman. No one greeted us, we stepped in to utter awkward silence and three pairs of eyes staring at us and looked hesitantly around.
I mustered a "How are you doing today?" and got a short answer. British reserve? Who knows? Had we walked in at the wrong time? We both felt uncomfortable.
I said I was interested in purchasing a Fez and got several snickers from the older man and a curt lecture on the irrelevance of the Fez.
I would have purchased another hat, but honestly felt so unwelcome, I couldn't wait to get out of the store.
The security guard opened the door for us and showed us the only real courtesy since we had arrived. Maybe he felt sorry for us.
I had thought buying a Fez from London would be a lark- something to wear at parties- I was proven wrong. I almost didn't purchase the hat, but regrettably did.
I won't wear my Fez now, in the box it will sit.

Visited May 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your shopping experience with us. We are saddened to hear that you received a sub-standard service and are looking into this as a matter of urgency. We will be improving our online shopping service in the new year so that it is easier for customers to learn about our products, all from the comfort of their home/office.