“Location is Everything!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of President Hotel

You added President Hotel to your Saves list
President Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   66 Russell Square | Bloomsbury, London WC1N 1DB, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #622 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Vancouver, Canada
“Location is Everything!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This is the fifth time I have stayed at the President Hotel. My single room was small but was clean and had everything I needed: shower, lots of drawer space, kettle, coffee. Since I was on the first floor, the WiFi from the lobby reached my room so I didn't have to sit in the lobby to send my messages. That was a bonus! The President is within walking distance of the British Museum and several theatres. The Russell Square tube stop is just around the corner and busses are close by. The continental breakfast is adequate and there was always plenty of seating since I always went fairly early.

Room Tip: My first floor room had NO view but was quiet and the WiFi reached it from the lobby.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Evanston, ILlinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The President Hotel in London’s Russell Square has been undergoing some serious remodeling. In the two years since we last stayed there. Good, (and much needed) things have been happening. The rooms are undergoing a complete update; featuring new beds, new bedding, new drapes, new furniture and tasteful wall decorations. It is quite a change from the old days when the head house keeper had to be located to borrow a hair dryer; the dryers are now in the newly remodeled rooms.

The remodeling is not yet complete, but apparently a significant number of rooms have been finished.

The staff seems to have a new attitude. Good service seems to have crept upon the scene. The housekeeping staff is friendly and very efficient. The clerks and bellmen are pleasant and eager to help. While the dining room still has the old menu, the new manager is friendly, helpful and makes it a pleasure to come down to breakfast each day.

When I reviewed this hotel several years ago I mentioned the outstanding bellman Glenn Hynes. Glenn is still on the job with his friendly and professional attitude and his high level of assistance and his knowledge of all things London.

On past visits, the most one could say about the President Hotel was its excellent location, now there is so much more, it is becoming a pleasant hotel with a great location and a staff in touch with the guests needs and comfort.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the remodeled rooms.
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We spent an enjoyable 3 nights here it is in a perfect location for tourists to enjoy london it would have been great to have a room with air con but all you need to do is open the window.room was spotless and comfy breakfast good.would use this hotel again.24 hour tesco just across the road from hotel lots of places to eat and a tube station a stones throw away.

Burscough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

this hotel is a bit dated but excellent in a great location in Russell square not far from Euston station come out station keep to the left then turn right and walk straight up for about 10/15mins walk w stayed two nights with breakfast, rooms clean fresh towels every day the breakfast was hot and plenty of selection cereals fruit porridge brilliant stay

Mum4mum4
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We Stayed At The President Hotel London On The 24/25 May 2014 . We Went To London As It Was Our 20 th Wedding Anniversary . Great Location , Russell Square Tube Station Is A 2 Minute Walk From The Hotel . When We Arrived Our Room Was Ready Which Was Great , We Put Our Things In Our Room And Went Sight Seeing . When We Arrived Back To The Hotel At 11:30 Pm I Realised I Had Not Asked For An Extra Pillow , I Know They Would Have Brought Me One If I Had Asked . Im Asthmatic And Like To Be Propped Up Abit , I Used My Favorite Next Super Soft Black Towel Which My Youngest Son ( He's 11 ) Bought Me For Christmas , Sentimental To Me . We Had Our Breakfast Which Was OK , Tea & Coffee Was Served To You At The Table By Waiters , They Weren't Very Smiley ! After Breakfast We Went Back To Our Room ( 150 ) Which Was A Good Room As There Wasn't So Much Traffic Up And Down All Night So We Could Leave The Window Open . It Was Small , But Clean . We Packed Our Bags And Checked Out At 9:00 am And Left Our Luggage For £0.50 p A Bag So We Could Enjoy Another Whole Day In London Without Our Luggage . As We Were Out , I Realised I Had Not Removed The Towel I Had Used As A Pillow ! My Husband Said Not For Me To Worry , It Won't Have Gone Far , It's Black And Very Noticeable . We Went Back To The Hotel At 6:30 Pm To Collect Our Luggage , We Told The Man In Charge Of The Luggage About The Towel , He Straight Away Got On To House Keeping . They Said They Couldn't Find It And It Probably Ended Up At The Launderette , They Took My Name And Address And Said They Would Forward It On . I Waited For The Towel When I Got Home , Nothing ! So I Rang The Hotel 4 Times Over A 2 Half Week Period , Everytime I Was Put Through To House Keeping , They Didn't Have A Clue Where It Had Gone ! I Would Of Thought That The Launderette Would Have Sent It Back Along With All The White Hotel Towels . The Last Time I Rang , The House Keeping Lady Said She Would Sent Me Out A Lost Property Form For Me To Fill Out And Return To Them So I Could Claim For A New Towel . I Am Telling You This As I Wouldn't Want Anyone To Loose Something That Was Really Important To Them , Of Value Or Sentimental Value . I Don't Think You Will Get Any Lost Property Back ! :( I Just Forgot I Put It There . The Hotel Was Clean , Our Room Was Clean , The Staff Were Friendly . I Would Use This Hotel Again , But Would Double Check My Room Before I Left .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
stoke on trent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Just back from a 3 day stay at the President hotel Russell Sq London.
The room we had was dated and in need of decoration
There was mould on the bathroom ceiling but apart from that room was adequate.
Breakfast was mostly designed for a Full English so if you want a continental breakfast you will have to settle for a bread roll or toast and cereal as there were no hams or cheese on offer.
Evening meal is a carvery consisting of lamb ,beef or pork carved fresh off the joint with Salmon, chicken and salad the other options
Though what we had was tasty it becomes a little overbearing after 3 nights as veg and meat options are always the same menu never changes the only change being the soup of the day.
Saturday was minestroni soup Sunday vegetable Monday Organic vegetable ,which was no different to the night before
The hotel does give you vouchers if you book the evening meal option that can be used at it sister hotels in the Russell sq vicinity,but as we only used the carvery I cannot comment on the food at these establishments
There are plenty of cafe's bar's and restaurants in the vivinity if you wish to take the B&B option
Hotel is about 15 minutes walk from Euston station and about 2 minutes from the underground
From Euston you need the tube to Kingscross (next stop) the the Piccadilly line to Russel sq
Would recommend ordering an Oyster card if you are planning to use the tube as it saves queuing for tickets

Prague, Czech Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Staying in London for a short weekend paying pretty high price for what were eventually offered. Rooms furniture was very old and internet didn't work.We had probbably the worse breakfest ever - awful food and stuff not caring about the guests and cleanliness of the breakfest room. The only positive thing was maybe the location and nice helpful staff at the reception.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to President Hotel? Share your experiences!