“Great hotel, great serice and great spa treatments!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Daily Dining / Spa Credit
Ranked #156 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Hampshire
“Great hotel, great serice and great spa treatments!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

I walked in to the hotel when in London for a business meeting a few weeks back and booked a one night urban spa package as a gift for myself and my wife. The deal was not "cheap" but good value for money for what turned out to be a premium service.

The service was excellent from everyone who we met in the hotel, efficient but not OTT. The Mandarin Bar for pre-dinner drinks was packed including a TV personality (Strickly Come Dancing) or two.

The room (Courtyard) was clean and had everything that we needed ... including the huge bed!

On Sunday morning we both had treatments in the Spa from Kate who was excellent! I have travelled the world on business and had many massages in top hotels, but this has to be one of the best massages I have had.

We will be back again.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Polish first
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

We were thoroughly impressed with everything about this hotel. We always stay in high end 4* or 5* hotels and have travelled quite extensively. We don't however consider ourselves the "typical" clientelle of an establishment like this and so we're always interested to see whether this will influence the treatment we receive. We felt that we were treated brilliantly and this was undoubtedly the best hotel we have ever stayed in. We knew we were booking a room facing the inner courtyard. This wasn't a pretty view but it was fine for one night and we were forewarned when we booked where the room was located. We were also happy with the reasonably moderate rate we paid through booking by phone direct with the hotel which was better than the internet rate. From the moment our luggage was retrieved from our cab until it was put back in the cab on our departure, we were attended to with the utmost courtesy and professionalism by every member of staff. We were escorted to our room which we felt was a nice touch which expedited our check-in in more comfortable surroundings. Our room was beautifully classic and wonderfully clean and comfortable; the bed was superb. Staff we keen to help and very friendly, happy to share a few words and the odd joke without being intrusive. Dinner in The Foliage was enjoyable but lacked the glamour and wow factor of Claridges or The Connaught. That said, the bar had a great vibe and the staff there were really friendly and attentive and great for recommending cocktails to help the evening along! Breakfast was superb as was the location of the hotel and we really couldn't fault the place. One night felt like a real break and we were thoroughly relaxed at the end of our stay. I would wholeheartedly recommend the Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park.

• Liked — The high standard of accommodation
  • Disliked — We accidentally left some bits behind in the bathroom and nobody contacted us about returning them.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Nettlebed, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2007

We have stayed here over the years several times and I think it is the best in London..
Great location: Harrods and Harvey Nichols are at walking distance
The Mandarin bar is lovely and there is always something going on..
The service is great..the rooms spacious and perfect..and their marmelade is the best in the world! With roomservice we had chicken tandoori and it was yummy!
I now have the adress so I can get it at home and when I eat toast with Marmmelade I think back at the time in the Mandarin London!
We also eat in the restaurants and it was always very nice!

• Liked — the Mandarin knows how to spoil their guests
  • Disliked — nothing I can think of
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

This might be one of the nicest hotels i have ever stayed. The location is great, it is across the street from the knightsbridge tube stop. The rooms are the definition of posh. The bar is amazing. The gym is very nice. Basically, if i could be there right now, i would. Do yourself a favor, and book a stay here. Treat yourself to a weekend...and you won't regret it.

• Liked — Everything about this hotel is great
  • Disliked — that i only got to stay for two nights
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2007

We stayed at the MOHP for one night for my 30th birthday. It was a lovely looking hotel in the centre of Knightsbridge, just opposite Harvey Nic's and a few minutes from Harrods. We had booked the hotel online on the hotel's own website and in order to secure the booking we had to give our credit card number as normal. When we arrived at the hotel we checked in at the reception and then were shown to our room by a member of staff....the man comes INTO the room with us and tells my husband to take a seat whereby he presents us with our booking details to "check over". He then asks to see my husbands credit card and takes down the details - we found this awfully strange as we had already given c/card at time of booking and were made to feel as though they wanted to make double sure we were'nt going to leave without paying or something. Also, having just arrived we wanted to change, wash etc so we could have time for a bit of shopping but instead had to wait for this strange man to leave our room!!
Eventually we were left in peace and the room was lovely and very well equipped with the exception of no tea/coffee making facilities which i thought was a bit of a shame. Also in the morning there was no hot water for a shower - something you kind of expect in ANY hotel let alone like this.
On the plus side we had an exceptional meal in the Folige - which really was faultless in every respect. After our meal we went to the mandarin bar for few drinks and were pleasantly surprised that they had a live jazz band and the place had a great atmosphere and great service.
When we checked out of the hotel the next morning again we were made to feel uncomfortable. The receptionist asked if everything was ok and i said yes and commented on how lovely our meal was in Foliage. She then procceeded re-checked our bill and said "oh i just want to check something with Foliage and dialled throgh to speak to someone. I pointed out that we had paid for the meal at the end of the meal and not charged to the room wondering if thats what she was checking. And she still continued to phone through and "double check" this was actually true. She was obviously having dufficulty getting to speak to someone as we were made to wait for quite a few minutes before she eventually gave up and decided to take our word for it. Overall we spent about £700 on a meal and 1 nights accomodation at thiis hotel and yet we left feeling uncomfortable and embarassed about being made to stand there while the receptionist was basically checking we were not criminals. It was a nice hotel in a great location but honestly i would not stay there again nor recommend it to friends after our experiences.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
SA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2007

I stayed here on a business trip. First impressions were not great as the doorman was nowhere in sight when my cab arrived so i lugged my bag in myself. While some people might like the fact that the reception person comes with you to your room to get the forms signed etc (I presume this is usual?) i didn't. A nice touch though was that a complimentary tray of coffee and biscuits was sent to the room after my arrival (which had been early morning following an overnight flight).

I found the room somewhat stuffy - i usually like a classical theme but it somehow didn't work for me. I had no view of anything except concrete, and I didn't like the fact that I didn't have a separate shower. There was also a lot of noise from the passage. On the other hand, the amenities were good, i liked the complimentary bottles of water and apple juice, toiletry/vanity stuff of expected quality etc.

All in all I had a pleasant enough stay here, but felt it didn't quite live up to what I would have expected - the Mandarin in NYC was much nicer I thought.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
kuwait
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

from the first moment of our arrival to this hotel me and my friend didnt have any assistant with our expesive lugguge dropped in the street by the taxi and we had to go in the hotel to search for someone to pick the bags off the street!!! .......the staff was very rude and in same day after we went out and came back i forgot the number of our room and went to the reseption to ask for help and the showed them our key but the man behind the desk treated us like the very likes of thiefs and ask for our passports for ID which i told him are in the room safe and he ascorted us back to our room without even helping us with our bags of shopping and waited outside the room until i opened the safe and demanded to see my picture!!!!!!!! needless to say i canceled our remaining stay with the hotel and checked in with a near by classier hotel.

Stayed February 2006

Been to Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London? Share your experiences!