“Pleasant Boutique Hotel - Close to the Tube, Some Nice Touches” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Colonnade London

Save Saved
You added The Colonnade London to your Saves list
The Colonnade London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Warrington Crescent, London W9 1ER, England (Paddington / Maida Vale)   |
Ranked #318 of 1,073 hotels in London
DC
“Pleasant Boutique Hotel - Close to the Tube, Some Nice Touches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I was looking for an affordable hotel near Paddington and had gotten an email from the Eton Collection (I'd stayed at one of their other properties that was fantastic!). So I thought I would try this one. I was upgraded to a larger room - high ceilings, comfortable bed, robes for your convenience, fresh water supplied to your room each evening and free Internet (although it was a little awkward that I had to get a different log-in/password every day).
On the downside, no heat in the bathroom - which would have been OK, except the windows were old and drafty. I was also a little disappointed with the evening front desk attendant. Not very friendly and wasn't very helpful in answering some of my London questions. However, the nice young man that helped me with my luggage and showed me to my room was great. Breakfast was not worth it...buffett disappointing and toast burnt!
Nevertheless, I like the charm of a non-chain hotel, so I would consider staying again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

433 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Toronto, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I booked The Colonnade through laterooms. Location was pretty good -- when you come out of the front door of the hotel, you can see Warwick Station on the Bakerloo line across the way, so it is convenient to the tube. Picadilly is a bit of a hike, about 15 to 20 minutes, and across some busy streets. The hotel itself is a bit tired and in need of refurbishment, and the staff fairly indifferent. This, however, is inconsequential to what happened during our stay: our room was burglarized and we experienced significant loss of possessions (laptop, electronics). The room was not forced open and someone used a keycard to gain access. The police were called and a report filed, and the constable that attended mentioned that he had been to a similar incident at The Colonnade about 3 months prior. He also indicated that there had been other robberies at this property in the past. The response from management has been fairly tight-lipped and unhelpful although was still quite cheerful to collect our credit card for our two night's stay. Our loss was around $4000Cdn, and the data (photos, files) is of course irreplaceable and I just feel sick about it. When I inquired with the manager as to who had been in our room during the day (they can read the cards that have been swiped), he would not tell me, and also told me that these swipe cards are easily replicable and that non-employees can make cards to break into rooms. Since our room did not have a deadbolt on the door, this was very unsettling. I have stayed all over the world on business with my laptop and have never experienced a robbery such as this. I would absolutely not recommend staying at this hotel based on the robbery, the fact that the robbery was evidently an "inside job" and based on the very poor non-response from management.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GMColonnade, General Manager at The Colonnade London, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Moeqt,
Thank you for sharing your feedback via Tripadvisor.
I am dissapointed to have received your claim of your room alledgedly being burglered and I fully empathise with your situation.

It is important to repeat that I am fully commited to providing any help and assistance to investigating authorities on this matter. I am confident that I have given you the best support and advice from the moment you brought this to my attention. This is not something we are used to dealing with at our hotel. We have countless numbers of guests who stay with us as a one-off visit to the area and those who and come back time and again, who leave our hotel on a very happy note indeed.

Once again, I can assure you that my team and I are committed to providing full support to ongoing investigation.

With kind regards,

Mario Ovsenjak
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We had two rooms here, a standard and a deluxe on the first floor.

I used to live close by and remember the Colonnade being converted in 1999 – internally it feels like that was the last time it had any attention.

You can see where they’ve been patching up with the filler and numerous paint drips on the furniture and carpet, but you can’t get around the fact there is no grout in the floor tiles, mould on the window sills, bath chrome taps are worn away from abrasive cleaning, the carpet smells etc, etc. The rooms just scream ‘refurb overdue by five years’.

Sure the outside has just been painted, but Little Venice leases demand that every six or so years, it’s a pity they did not do the inside at the same. If that’s planned all well and good, but they still took my money in condition it is currently in.

The general feeling of the communal parts were of a ‘station hotel’ with people coming in with take away meals etc, and staff were virtually unnoticeable. Breakfast were discounted as they seem to be having trouble selling them, and with Baker & Spice nearby I can see why. Wifi is also a charge for service unless you put up with ‘modem’ restricted speeds – come on its 2012, the local coffee shop gives it away as a loss leader!

The hotel website was appalling, presumably built around the same time, and I suppose that should have alerted me. This is certainly no Chic, Unique, Boutique hotel (as they claim) and I will not be coming back.

There are better options in central London at this price and I would urge you to seek them out. Pity, a refurb by a professional management team turning it into an all-suite hotel would make a killing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear L H,
Thank youfor your review via TripAdvisor.
I am very dissapointed to learn that your visit was not perfect. I have asked my colleagues working in engineering to check on all the windows and if we identify any malfunction - this will be rectified asap. It is true that the stairs from the third to the fourth floor are narrower then those in the rest of the building. This is purely down to the design style typical for the age of the building. Our lift serves three floors and we offer luggage assistance on arrival and departure to all our guests. Yes, our guest lounge is very popular with business and leisure guests having casual meetings or just catching up over a hot drink. Many also find it relaxing to just sit bythe fire place and listen to classical music whilst watching the world go by. I guess it is the comfort and tranquility that is of high value to many?
I will certainly speak to the head housekeeper about other points that you raised. All our laundry is cleaned and individually inspected in-house so I am very surprised that the standards in your room were not 100%, and I apologise for that.
Thank you again for your feedback, I would definitely welcome an opportunity to show our hotel in its true light to you, so if you have any future plans to travel into this area - please contact me directly and I would be happy to assist.

With kind regards
Mario Ovsenjak, General Manager
UKWanderer66
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were going to a black-tie dinner at the Hilton Metropole but wanted to avoid a big, commercial hotel and big, commercial prices. We found this lovely boutique hotel through Late Rooms and weren't disappointed. The hotel was gorgeous and unpretentious, the staff unfailingly polite and the service spot on. We even had a delivery of a free bottle of bottled water to the room without requesting it.
We were given a discount on the breakfast, which was individually and freshly cooked, and the breakfast room was lovely, with a glass ceiling allowing us to look up into the clear blue sky.
Having booked out we then had a lovely walk around Little Venice - the finale to a wonderful, relaxing stay at the Colonnade.

Room Tip: We had the Club Double - just right!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed at The Colonnade over the weekend for our special occasion. We chose this hotel for its location-near Paddington Little Venice, Warwick Avenue Station and its surroundings- little coffe shops and restaurants. The hotel staff was ever so attentive and friendly. The room was ready for us at 11am-five star service! The room itself was something I would imagine in a grand hotel would offer-spacious new decor at the same time we felt like at home, it was cozy and warm.
In the morning we were greeted at a lovely breakfast room by the staff that remained curtious throughout and were offered a choice of cold and hot selection of foods. Once again we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!
All in all our stay exceeded our expectations by a mile and we will most definitely return to stay at The Colonnade!
Thank you to all the staff that made our stay so special!

• Stayed November 2012
winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Hotel is a real gem.this was the second year that we were fortunate to stay here. The staff were very helpful and the breakfast chef was msot accomodating. Rooms were modern with all of the facilities and we slept like angels on the comfortable duvet.The location is outstanding close to a tube station and a short walk to the canals and Paddington.We hope to return soon!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights, very good location, mix of business and pleasure. Have stayed before and would recommend. My wife had to wait for a breakfast table one morning but not too long. The room was clean and spacious for London. We will stay again. Great pub next door, and would recommend the 'Red pepper' restaurant round the corner.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear John F,

Thank you for staying with us and for your review. I am glad that you've enjoyed your time here and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

On behalf of all of us here at The Colonnade, have a wonderful festive season, and best wishes for 2013.

With kind regards,

Mario Ovsenjak, General Manager

Been to The Colonnade London? Share your experiences!