“Charming hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rookery Hotel

You added Rookery Hotel to your Saves list
Rookery Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Peter's Lane | Cowcross Street, London EC1M 6DS, England   |
Ranked #84 of 1,066 Hotels in London
“Charming hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed here for one night and the hotel has retained it heritage from 1764. Rooms are very different from standard business hotels. Breakfast was served in room and was plentiful. Despite having a room facing the street it was relatively quiet.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

After days looking on the internet for a hotel for a couple of nights to celebrate my 50th birthday my husband was still unsure where to book in London. All the hotels looked much the same at various costs but so many were now very modern and clinical and not at all romantic. He then stumbled accross the Rookery and booked it for two nights knowing I liked geogian/victorian decor. Not only was I delighted with the decor, soft lighting by lamps and wooden carved bed in our Jack Shepherd room the staff and atmosphere was amazing. They could not have been more polite and helpful and I came down on my birthday to them all wishing me a happy 50th birthday.

You don't get the mod cons of power showers but what you do get is a really lovely spacious bathroom with a roll top bath to relax in. Our room was really lovely and warm to come back to each day after walking around in the wind and rain and then it was only a very short walk to a number of restuarants in the evening.

We didn't have breakfast in the hotel as we wanted to get out and see what was around us and on one of the days we used the Sirlion restuarant above the Hope public house just over the road to the Rookery for breakfast. We both had a Rib Eye steak with all the trimmings for breakfast at a reasonable price which set us up for the whole day.

We would recommend this hotel for a quite romantic couple of days in London in a good central location, very close to Farrindon station with lots of places to eat and drink right on your doorstep. It is also very close, walking distance to Hatton Garden Jewellery area.

Room Tip: The bed in Jack Shepherd is very firm and personally we are used to sleeping on an extra soft matres...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We recently enjoyed a stay at The Rookery and found the hotel to be charming and, as already said by many others, the staff couldn't be more helpful. The decor is wonderful and certainly takes you back in time however that doesn't always mean good by which I should say that I find a shower an essential in a bedroom and having a roll top bath with hand held shower doesn't do it for me! We requested a change of room to one with a walk in shower but couldn't be accommodated. The room was very comfortable but to use the hairdryer and access a nearby mirror involved having to move furniture so that the wardrobe door could be opened and although the subdued lighting is very restful there needs to be some practical lighting somewhere to enable a lady to apply her make up! Loved the honesty bar which was well priced. It would be nice if the rooms had a Nespresso machine so that a tea/coffee could be enjoyed in the absence of a staffed bar. Free wifi is always welcome and becoming an essential. On a very positive note the location of the hotel is great if you wish to enjoy the Smithfield Market area which is filled with great restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: If a shower is important to you make sure to request one in advance.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Girona, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I booked this hotel due to a nearby wedding. We were happy to pay a bit extra with it being a special occasion, the rooms looked stylish, the location was perfect and the reviews very good.
It was an easy choice then? We were so wrong! I don't think I am that fussy yet this was such poor value for money. The rooms had character but were small, had no desk space and too hot. The location looked good but the area is very noisy and a bit of a war zone at chucking out time, that coupled with the thin walls and stomping around upstairs make it difficult to sleep. Then there is the lack of facilities, no kettle in the room (surely that is a minimum now), and no breakfast! Probably my fault for not reading the small print but again, I had that as a given nowadays. The hotel claims there is a breakfast but really it is morning room service, continental or Bacon buttie for an expensive 11.95 (tea, Coffee extra). That plus no lift, a garden that looks great on the pictures but is really in a concrete courtyard overlooked by offices and overall it made for a very disappointing and certainly not "home from home" stay.
I seem to be so out of step with the other reviews that I started to doubt myself when writing this but I can honestly say I wasn't in a bad mood when I stayed. Generally, I like staying away and I am not that picky. Maybe I just rate convenience and value for money higher than character? Overall then, feel underwhelmed and out of pocket.

• Stayed February 2014
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We booked a treat night here on the basis of tripadvisor rating it the #1 most romantic hotel in London, and on the basis of the warm positive reviews and the website, which gave the impression of a divine experience. Spot on.

There's not much I can add to what has already been said many times. A wonderful, and incredibly peaceful, Dickensian little world in the heart of the city. We asked to change room as we were keen to sample the roll-top bath (very glad we did!). This was accommodated with grace. A nightcap or a quiet morning coffee in the conservatory is a nice little experience in itself, complemented by the occasional appearance by Lady Grey - the very sweet but a little shy resident cat :)

A little luxury and romance, while remaining understated, in the best English tradition of homely and historical hotels. Attention to detail is impeccable. We appreciated all the little touches and felt thoroughly able to unwind. Met our (very raised!) expectations in every respect.

Very warmly recommended

• Stayed January 2014
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Stayed here for three nights and the experience was nothing less than fantastic. Friendly staff, beautiful architecture and a real cosy homely room. The location is excellent, the facilities though perhaps limited, I found the Rookery to be expertly run. I was even fortunate enough to meet the hotel cat, Lady Grey. She is a snooty little madam! Gorgeous and friendly cat really! I have stayed at the sister hotel Hazlitts and though it is perhaps a better location (Soho) the Rookery certainly is a place I would visit again - Well done!

Room Tip: None - Its a great hotel all round.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

The Rookery is a fantastic base from which to explore london. The staff were unfailingly polite and helpful. The rooms were classically decorated and bathroom stocked with Ren organic products which were a treat to use in the antique style bathroom. There is no lift but the staff very kindly helped us with all our luggage up the stairs. There is a lovely drawing room to relax in and also take breakfast and the resident cat supervises goings on. My mother and I enjoyed our stay immensely.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Rookery Hotel? Share your experiences!