“Great little place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Rookery Hotel

You added The Rookery Hotel to your Saves list
The Rookery Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Peter's Lane | Cowcross Street, London EC1M 6DS, England (Clerkenwell)   |
Ranked #100 of 1,060 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cardiff
“Great little place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Lovely, unique place. Amazing room, nice to be trusted with the honesty bar, staff unobtrusive but helpful when needed, set in a nice bit of London with plenty of choice for food, and a tube stop at the end of the road. Ideal really

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I'm late with this review (I stayed there in July 2012 just prior to the Olympics)

The hotel is wonderful. Unobtrusive yet excellent service; you are left alone which suits me perfectly, but there were staff readily available should you need them (I didn't).

The room was terrific, after dozens of stays in identikit corporate hotel rooms this was so refreshing. Very nicely furnished with a comfy bed. The bathroom was lovely, however if you are used to a quick shower, then factor in a few more minutes to have a bath with a shower attachment.

I ordered breakfast that arrived on time and while pricier than getting it locally, I had jet lag and didn't feel like getting up to get food (there's several good cafes and sandwich ships within 5 seconds of the front door)

The sitting room, terrace and honesty bar were lovely too. Sitting outside on a warm London summer evening was great and if you bump into a fellow guest, then it's nice to have a chat and swap stories.

I'd stay here again!

One comment - for those who have complained about noise after 11pm - this part of London is high-density and lively. That's why it's great. I think all rooms have double-glazing which should make it quiet

Room Tip: Although there may be street noise from the many pubs / clubs nearby, if you are jet lagged you won...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Bend, Oregon, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and our friends booked a room as well. The beds were the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. We told the front reception and the response was " we can't please everyone." That was it. I thought his response was beyond rude. Since we were only there a short stay we decided to tough it out the second night....not good.
We had 2 nights of no sleep and so did our friends. When we checked out we mentioned the beds again and another couple was checking out and said the same thing. Hard as a rock!

There is also a night club near by and all you hear at night is drunk people outside the hotel.

I thought it was a cute, funky hotel, but would not stay there again based on the response we got about the beds. You also have to OK with no showers...claw foot tubs in the bathrooms.

The room service breakfast was just fair...nothing great for the price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

this place is great. totally unexpected in the slog of a long business trip to be able to have a almost holiday-like experience just because of how the hotel is set up.

the room i stayed in had such a fun bathroom (weird, right?) that it added character to my whole stay in london. the food was great (i recommend the open-face ham sandwiches. perfectly crispy bread, yum. skip the ravioli though.) and the wifi was fast enough to download a few new shows. they were also accommodating enough when my plans changed and managed to keep me in the same room, at a great rate, for an extra night.

definitely will return.

Room Tip: the one i had, up on the top, with the funky toilet, was great. it had a name, but i don't remem...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed recently for a child free weekend in London with my wife. Came highly recommended from brother in law, and didn't disappoint.

In the heart of historic Smithfield I love the way the rooms are named after some if the more (in)famous characters of clerkenwells past.

The hotel has a very tranquil atmosphere and the rooms are very quiet given the proximity to the railway and the meat market!

The honesty bar is great with a good selection drinks, but it felt a bit like raiding mum and dads drink cabinet as a teenager (not a bad thing though as added to the fun-I checked but they hadn't marked the bottles!).

We didn't have breakfast in the hotel but went to smiths of Smithfield (about two minutes walk away), which is highly recommended. Lumberjack stacks rock.

Loads of local pubs and places to eat nearby, we loved the burgers at the slaughtered lamb and the Sunday roast at the fox and anchor.

All in all a great hotel and so close to the tube makes it great for getting wherever you need to go when you've finished in clerkenwell.

• Stayed November 2012
Moscow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed in a Horace Jones room for a couple of rainy days in July and it was quite enjoyable.

Our room was spacious enough, it had a baldachin bed, two windows, antique furniture and gorgeous bathroom with claw-footed bathtub that we really adored.

Breakfast seemed a bit limited (if my memory serves me right, you have 3 options to choose - healthy variant wich would be a bowl yougourt with cereals and fruit, french type - croissants and jams and a meaty one - fried bacon and ham in half a baguette) but it was compensated by the fact that it was served right to your room.

The location of the hotel is great. We had umbrellas in our room which was great because it was raining every day.

The only flaws were the lack of light in the room, both natural and artificial even given the fact that there were two big windows in the room and one in the bathroom. Not enough light for a make up. And also not enough air, I opened all the three windows but couldn't even understand whether it was cold or warm outside, fresh air simply refused to get in - still a mystery for me.

Some of the reviewers mentioned creaky floors, I can remember hearing the sound sometimes as well as the sound of slamming front door but I also remember that it was not disturbing at all, not the thing you concentrate your attention on, and the hotel was very quiet in general.

It is quite possible that on our next trip to London we'll stay here again.

Room Tip: we liked our Horace Jones room - comfortable bed with a baldachin and gorgeous claw-footed bathtub
Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

One of the best hotels in London. You could feel the London history in the walls.
It is easy to get there, train tub stations rounde the corner.
Lot of good resturangs close.
The rooms are very nice and comftably.
Very godd breakfast served in your room.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Rookery Hotel? Share your experiences!