“Excellent base to explore from...” 5 of 5 stars

Covent Garden Hotel
10 Monmouth Street, London WC2H 9HB, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #8 of 1,075 hotels in London
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Excellent base to explore from...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I'd have to say that it's not normally the sort of place that we'd stay at but a combination of this being a birthday treat for my better half and other excellent TA reviews persuaded me to push the boat out a bit further than it might normally go. Sited in Monmouth Street, just to the north of Covent Garden itself, it's ideally sited to use as a base to explore that area of London and for theatre-going, which was really the main purpose of the trip. I booked two nights in a luxury room and when we arrived, my initial disappointment that we were on the ground floor dissipated somewhat when shown to Room 8, situated with several others behind the check-in desk. "Magnificent" didn't quite do it justice - short entrance halfway leading to large spacious bedroom with ultra-king size bed, modern decoration and usual accessories. To the left was a door leading to a bathroom that wasn't that much smaller than the bedroom itself. Two washbasins, toilet, bidet, a bath that the Mrs could have used as a swimming pool and a wonderful walk in shower...and to top it all, at the age of 53, I finally get to stay in a hotel room where the bathroom has a TV in it....shallow ? Me ? Both bedroom and bathroom were absolutely spotless. Room had excellent air-con and despite some concerns at the road visible outside, there was no traffic noise and we had two good nights sleep. The deal we got included breakfast, which was served in the Brasserie Max. Now, the food and service in here were excellent (as was service throughout the hotel) - but somehow the atmosphere wasn't. It felt like we were gate-crashing a large business meeting - or rather several business meetings. It's not unreasonable that such an establishment should attract a large number of business people - or be a place that is chosen for a "power breakfast." It just wasn't for us really. Evenings seemed to be somewhat more relaxed affairs and we enjoyed post theatre drinks in there. Overall, a fantastic short break and I'd certainly return...but maybe take breakfast in one of the many, many, less formal eateries that are available in that part of town.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

536 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Skagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Being back at Covent Garden Hotel is like comming back home. From the first step out of the Taxi we were met by "Welcome back to Covent Garden Hotel" - it is fantastic.

The concierge, the front desk, the brasserie, the honesty bar - everywhere we were met by fantastic service, good food topped with a smile.

The rooms are very nice, clean and eventhough the Hotel is situated in the center of everything, You can not hear any traffic noise.

The recent years I have tried a lot of good hotels, but this is my all time favorite.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel 3 of the 5 times we have gone to London and the location is so convenient for the west end and Covent Garden. They even have some parking behind the hotel which is a bonus. The staff are very accommodating and friendly and the rooms are clean and well furnished.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the south side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel in a wonderful little spot in London, tucked away just enough that you feel like you're out of the hustle bustle of the theater district - surrounded by cool boutiques/coffee shops and the like. Not to mention that it's close to a few underground lines that make getting around so easy.

The staff of this hotel is top notch, truly professional and willing to drop anything to help. My room was upgraded to a 4th floor suite which was amazing - I felt like I was in my own little haven on the top floor over looking the London skyline. The decor is fresh/modern/boutique and the bed very comfortable. The room was large and bathroom was like a little spa! ( I took photos as an inspiration for our bathroom remodel!)

Breakfast was included with my room - which meant the whole shebang! So much to choose from I couldn't make up my mind. I had dinner here one night and was blown away - my waiter asked me if I was cold (which I was) and he turned off the AC in the restaurant for me! WOW.

I kept trying to re-book this hotel throughout my stay, but I must have gotten a super great price because it was way out my budget. This would be a perfect place to bring your lover, your spouse or even a special trip with your mum :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Beautiful little hotel nestled in Covent Garden. Lots of great pubs, restaurants, & shops nearby. Rooms are beautiful with lots of extra little touches and the staff is very nice and helpful. The rooms have actual keys instead of key cards and the floor that I was on had a large sitting room. I only stayed one night but I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Had a fabulous 3 nights mini getaway. So happy we did, the staff were amazing and the area was super. Close to everything and we felt like we were visiting family. The rooms were spacious. Not cheap but worth every penny.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Needed a bite to eat around 6.30pm on a Saturday night. Everywhere was full but the restaurant here found us a table for 3. Menu is pricey but you are paying for the ambience, the wonderful staff and the simply phenomenal food - well worth it!

Room Tip: only ate in restaurant
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Covent Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!