“A little over the top” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fortnum & Mason

Fortnum & Mason
181 Piccadilly, London W1A 1ER, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )
011-44-171-734-8040
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Special Offer
$41*
and up
The Original London Sightseeing Tour: Hop-on...
Ranked #12 of 470 Shopping in London
Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
Activities: Shopping
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: From a small grocery store in Piccadilly in 1707, has grown a celebrated store with an international reputation for the exclusivity and quality of the products it sells.
Norfolk, UK
51 attraction reviews
“A little over the top”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I had never been here, but after hearing my mother rave about it year-on-year I was really looking forward to exploring the shop. It was not quite what I was expecting. The food section was nice with lots of wonderful items. There appeared to be several options for dining within the store and then other departments - clothing, christmas goods, perfumes, handbags etc. etc. I was expecting the hefty pricetags, but I wasn't expecting the style of the goods - very over the top and a big blingy/garish. I couldn't work out if this is 'posh person taste' or whether it is purely for the tourist market. I did like the almost encyclopedia of jams at the back of the ground floor.

• Turkish first
worcs
12 attraction reviews
“well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Really enjoyed our visit and would certainlly go again.
The ambience was so festive,wonderful staircases and old fashioned lifts.Wonderful display cabinets.Washrooms werent very good,but that was a small thing compared to the over all picture.
The Christmas windows were a delight.
Things were expensive yet we bought a childrens pram that was cheaper than Harrods.

Uk
21 attraction reviews
“Truly disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Together with friends I went to the Diamond Jubilee tearoom for afternoon tea. I often have lunch here with my husband when we are in London and always enjoy the occasion and the food. The tearoom though was really most disappointing. This was for a special birthday celebration for one of the people I was with and it was a rather poor experience. We chose High Tea and our first course, a savoury, was brought to our table by some charming staff. The tea, scones and cakes then arrived and an explanation of it followed. From then on it was downhill all the way. At no time did anyone check that all was okay and we struggled to gain the attention of any member of staff when one of our party needed their assistance. No offer of fresh tea was made, nobody ensured we had everything we needed , and the staff virtually disappeared. When it came to paying our bill we again struggled to get a member of staff to deal with us. A rather arrogant young man refused to take a payment by card from one of our party, who needed to rush for a train which she couldn't afford to miss as she had a very long journey home, and insisted that the rest of us who were paying by cash should ensure that was handed over first. Why this was is completely beyond me, as clearly we were not going anywhere ourselves! The food was not remarkable. The savouries and scones were good, but the cakes were most unappetising. This was largely due to the excessive temperature in the room, even for someone like me who hates being cold, and the cakes were showing signs of 'distress' as they were affected by the heat.

This was not a good experience. The tea was overpriced for what it was and the service charge of £44 for very poor service was an insult. I like Fortnums and have been going here for a number of years. Sadly, the Diamond Jubilee tearoom does not meet expectations.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
48 attraction reviews
“A Holiday Classic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Starting in early November, London visitors should seek out Fortnum & Mason to see its charming holiday window displays and interior decorations, and of course browse the store for holiday essentials. Even if you can resist the £250 Christmas crackers (we could), there are still plenty of Christmas tree ornaments and decorative items, plus the regular and holiday-themed jams, jellies, and other edibles on the ground floor. Seeing F&M in full holiday mode made me nostalgic for what American department stores (whatever those were) once represented to holiday shoppers.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“LOVELY TEA TIME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

The host was very gracious for saving us the table even though we were 30mins late, we completely got lost in the process of looking for the place.
The service and food was superb, the attention and friendliness was an overall great experience. Plenty of food, and the refill would come in anytime, it was surely plenty of food, so make sure you are hungry when you visit.
Then we hit the store downstairs, all the christmas decoration was in place, so we loved the holiday season decoration and feel :)