“Just as good the second time” 4 of 5 stars

The Hide London
230 Hendon Way, London NW4 3NE, England   |
Ranked #43 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Northumberland, UK
“Just as good the second time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Consistency is often lacking from London hotels, but this was my second visit and I was just as impressed as the first time. It all starts with a warm welcome and it is nice to be expected and called by name. I had asked for a room on the back this time, which was quieter. It was very comfortable; the bathroom was top quality and the little extras are very welcome to a tired traveller. The continental breakfast is of the highest quality - I just wished I could have spent more time over breakfast to enjoy all of the treats.
The Jade Garden just up the road served an excellent £10.60 Chinese meal for dinner.
An efficient check-out and a short walk to the tube. Why aren't more hotels like this?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

This is a wonderful, small boutique hotel with 22 rooms. The hotel has only been open since September of 2010. It is modern, extraordinarily clean, and is less than a 5 minute walk to the Hendon Underground Station. The staff is very friendly, helpful and truly knows you by name. They are willing to do whatever they can to provide you with outstanding service. They do the little things very well, including beverages and snacks in the rooms at no charge.

I strongly recommend The Hide London, but book well in advance, as they are full EVERY night.

• Stayed July 2011
wirral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We opted for this hotel due to its contemporary feel, parking, and good reviews on TA. The decor and quality of the finish is fantastic. The bathrooms and bedrooms are kitted out with quality products. We loved the large shower cubicle and power shower. The facilities include tea/coffee, fridge with complimentary soft drinks, hairdryer, room safe and lots of storage. We were fully aware of the distance to central London and it takes 22 mins to get to Leicester Square by tube. The station being only a few mins walk away is also handy.

Sadly there are a few things which mean that this hotel is not deserving of a 5 star rating. We thought that we would probably be arriving before the check in time of 14:00 and emailed the hotel prior to arrival to request if it would be possible to try to arrange a slightly earlier check in (13:00). The email just stated that check in was 14:00. It would have been nice if the reply stated that they would try to arrange for us to check in early, even if it could not be guaranteed. But the email was very matter of fact with no personal touch.

Upon booking two rooms, I specifically requested that the executive room be a quiet room at the rear of the hotel. My son was occupying the classic room and wears his ipod at night so any noise would not disturb him. On arrival however, hubby and I were allocated a room at the front of the hotel. It sounded like we were sitting at the side of the M1, the noise was horrendous! There were no other rooms available and the receptionist assured us that we would be unable to hear any noise due to double glazing............my husband assured her that we really could not fail to notice the noise! She did not apologise for the mix up and was dismissive.
Internet connection was also available but it was very slow.
After a disturbed and sleepless night we walked into an almost empty but pleasant breakfast room. The continental breakfast looked initially appealing, however on further inspection it had not been re stocked. It was only when we were leaving that the salmon was replenished. The danish pastries and seeded bread had also ran out. We were also expected to eat bread/toast without butter or even margerine as they had "run out".We were informed of the same without any sort of apology. How can this be allowed to happen in any hotel?

Upon check out the manager apologised for the problem with noise in our room. Too little too late in my opinion. This hotel has the potential to be top notch. Customer service needs improving immediately. We didnt see any staff with a smile on their faces during our stay, no attempts to pacify us or enable us to enjoy our stay, no offers of assistance with anything we may have required. There is a difference between being unobtrusive and disinterested, and sadly the service here is disinterested. Triple glazing in the front rooms would mean the rooms are outstanding, and with a bit more effort from the staff the hotel could hit the heady heights of number 1 on TA.

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you cannot get a room at the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

I almost do not want to write this review, in fear that too many people will find out about this wonderful hotel. I booked for 1 night (Friday) as a treat for my mum after a concert.

The staff are welcoming and so friendly, very knowledgeable and polite. The gentleman on reception was kind enough to give us directions to the correct bus to take to Wembley stadium, saving us time and cutting out the hassle of two tube trains. The same bus at the end of the night had us back at the hotel in half an hour, 100 times better than the overcrowded Wembley tube.

The rooms are delightful - clean and furnished impeccably. The bathroom felt luxurious and the bathroom products excellent. I was told that all drinks and snacks in the room were complimentary, so unusual these days!

Although next to a busy road, we slept soundly and breakfast the next morning was delicious. There is a continental choice only, however the selection was fantastic and I felt extremely spoiled with smoked salmon for breakfast!

For such a reasonable price, this hotel is an absolute gem - we will definitely be using it as a regular base for exploring London.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I stayed at The Hide for three nights in June/July. This hotel was absolutely wonderful. The touches they add such as the complimentary drinks, cookies and tea in the room really makes this hotel unique. Compared to other London hotels, the price is very reasonable and the rooms are small yet comfortable and clean unlike hotels closer to Central London for the same price or more. The breakfast provided was absolutely delightful and the staff were friendly and always ready to assist. It's about 30-45 minutes by tube to central London but I would definetely stay here again. It's worth it!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

The title of the the review says it all really. There is really nothing I can think of to add to the page after page of good reviews for this superb boutique hotel, which it fully deserves. It is a shining example of "getting things right".

We will definitely be back !!!

Well done, and keep up the good work !!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

The Hide is such a charming, yet contemporary little place... I stayed in the single room, and I LOVED it. It’s a tiny little room, but there is such an effective use of space that it didn’t feel the least bit claustrophobic. I was really impressed by how they managed to fit a comfy bed, flat screen TV, fridge, tea things, reading table and wardrobe (with iron and hair dryer), into such a small space, without it seeming the least bit cluttered. I found it absolutely delightful. It was just so cozy, and the little design touches were so cute. I loved the decor, so fresh and stylish, great quality too. The L’Occitane toiletries in the bathroom and the freebies in the fridge were also lovely little touches. I instantly felt right at home and began to wish my stay was longer than the two nights I booked at the hotel. Speaking of which, the booking process was very good as well – it was easy to book using the hotel website, and the hotel was quite good with emails when needed as well.

I love the location of this hotel too... it’s really close to Hendon Station, which makes it accessible from just about anywhere in London, and I really enjoyed that. There was some noise from the street (vehicular traffic) coming into my room through the window, but I quickly got used to it. The hotel’s internet access was a little slow, but other than that it worked well while I was there and I had no problems with it. The room was cleaned well daily, and the lovely, fluffy towels changed. The breakfast in the hotel’s cute little café was fantastic – I have never had a Continental breakfast so good!! Fresh food, fresh juice, cereal, fruit... absolutely lovely. I was really impressed by the standards at the Hide and cannot help but wonder how they are able to maintain this place so well and still charge really reasonable rates. Remarkable, and I really hope they keep this up their standards... it’s the little touches that make this place so great, so I hope they hang on to them.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Hide London? Share your experiences!