“Fantastic Festive Fun” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #125 of 1,054 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Festive Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Being regular guests of the Delano in Miami and St Martin's Lane hotel in London, which we adore, we thought we'd try The Sanderson over the relatively quiet Christmas period and we enjoyed every minute. The location is super central, the decor trendy, the food fantastic and the staff exceptional. Particularly JJ who went out of his way to ensure that we had a splendid stay and always greeted us with a smile whenever we bumped in to him. We had a lovely stay and can't wait to return for the Mad Hatter's tea party which we unfortunately could not squeeze in this time round.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
We really appreciate your loyal support of the Morgan’s Hotel Group and are so pleased that you decided to add Sanderson to your repertoire. It is wonderful to read that you had a fantastic stay, so much so that you intend to return. We hope you get the opportunity to enjoy our Mad Hatters Tea as it really is a tasty and delightful experience! When you would like to make your next reservation please get in touch with linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com as she would love to oversee your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sanderson.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

For New Year's we stayed at The Sanderson and let me tell you one thing, it was spectacular in the sense that the service was impeccable. The design of the hotel is about to get updated, but the Philippe Stark design is something classic by now. That hotel did set a whole new standard when it opened up and even though it needs some freshen up it still is a spectacular hotel in every sense.

I love how everyone there is so attentive to ones needs in a very subtle but still straight forward way. Everyone there gave us nothing but amazing service, but the one that stood out was Karin from the Purple Bar. She gave us everything I asked for and helped us with just about everything with a huge, HUGE smile on her face. Everyone needs to get a cocktail from the Purple Bar just because of her.

One thing that truck me was that everyone at the hotel that I spoke to knew what room I stayed at and all the things that I had ordered. Now that's very good.

I got first class service, and an upgrade, tons of smiles and when I got back from the New Year's party there was a bottle of champagne in our room. I love champagne so that did put a very big smile. I trull recommend everyone to stay at the Sanderson.

Paolo Savi

Room Tip: Any room will do. They are all clean and nice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Sanderson. We are thrilled you chose to see the New Year in at Sanderson and are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. It was a pleasure to surprise you with the champagne, we hope you had a very Happy New Year! Thank you also for mentioning Karin in your review, she will be very happy to have made your experience at Sanderson so memorable. Please make sure you come back for another visit soon as we look forward to welcoming you back. linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com would love to hear from you so she can personally oversee your next visit.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Overall very impressed. Good staff, excellent food and the Long Bar's range of drinks very good. Atmosphere was very relaxing and we had an enjoyable stay.
The room was well designed and the facilities were good. Only issue is to reconsider the shower and sink taps, very funky design but difficult to switch off with wet hands! Considering the hotel's central London location, we had an undisturbed sleep.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

We are glad you were impressed with your stay at Sanderson as we always want our guests to feel relaxed and comfortable whilst they are with us. Please do come back to see us again soon, linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com is looking forward to hearing from you so she can help you with your next reservation.
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Not my first stay at Sanderson, but probably the last. It is not that I am all that disappointed, after all I have rated Sanderson with 4 stars. How ever, I feel that what was once a super trendy design hotel is now getting a little bit outdated. I am aware of that many will disagree with me on this point, and argue that one of its strengths is the not changing environment. For me, how ever, I feel that there are so many others super nice hotels in London in this price category that Sanderson is no longer my top five pick. I really look forward to the new Mondrian opening later this year! We also had a little sad ending of our trip with the concierge arguing with me over 75 GBP after we paid approximately 2500 GBP for a long weekend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Erlend, we are disappointed to read that you may choose to stay elsewhere in future as we value you as a guest and enjoy looking after you whilst you are in London, however we appreciate all feedback and take on board your comments. We are also sorry that your previous experience was impacted by your conversation with our Concierge, it is never our intention to offend a guest so please accept our apologies if there was a miscommunication on our part. We do hope you change your mind and come back to stay with us again as we really would love for you to return.
Cairo, Egypt
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

You think while checking into the Sanderson you'd get top notch service and attention given the hilarious amount of money you pay but No....

The management, front desk team are professional and welcoming. They changed our room when i expressed how small it was. Note: I did book the Superior King room which was over 37 sqm and they tried to squeeze me into a regular small room when I checked in!
The concierge service is ok though.

Now the big ordeal:
Housekeeping is terrible, they dont do the room when you expect them to, they open the door and walk in on you at 7pm!! True horror

Food? What food??
Suka the Malaysian restaurant is the worst I have tried in my travels and no wonder the restaurant is always empty!

Staff??
Well apparently the Morgans group is more interested in projecting the image of a cool hip hotel by hiring young incompetent kids rather than trained professionals.

Overall, the Hotel is ok but not worth 300 pounds/night. The ambiance is nice and young but thats about it.

Room Tip: Room 402 is spacious and nice
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Mrs Zaki, we always try to do our best to ensure the happiness of our guests so we are most disappointed that you are dissatisfied with your experience at Sanderson. As soon as we were made aware of your concerns over the size of your superior room we were very happy to move you to a larger deluxe room. We are also sorry that you found our housekeeping services inconvenient. Our team work extremely hard to maintain the high level of cleanliness we require at Sanderson and they are dedicated to ensuring all rooms are spotless, fresh and welcoming, also providing a turndown service every evening. As you had been unhappy with your turndown service on the second night of your stay with us, the following evening our housekeeper wanted to make sure your room was perfect so visited at 7pm to check your room. If this disturbed you we are sorry as this was not our intention. Mrs Zaki, please do contact me directly if you would like to discuss the issues you have experienced in further detail before you check out tomorrow. Many thanks.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We arrived at The Sanderson late morning on the Saturday, the receptionist JJ was very welcoming to my family and myself. He organised an upgrade to a balcony room for us and couldn't have been more hospitable. He got us drinks, gave the kids candy canes and organised our luggage and valet parking. The porter at the hotel took the cars underground for us, he also told us that he would put them out on the road for us on the Sunday as it was free parking. There are many amazing features to this hotel, first being its service. JJ rang us on many occasions to ensure everything was ok with the room. The pool room, residents bar and lifts have to be seen to be believed.

When we got to our rooms we were bowled over with the design. The sheer curtains separate the different sections of the room and give a romantic feel to the room, especially in turn down when the staff lit all the candles in the rooms and on the balcony. The balcony room was fab and what a VIEW!!!! But is small on space compared to the Deluxe King we also had booked. The main reason we upgraded to the balcony room is because we were assured there would be more room for a pull down bed in there, but actually I felt there was more room in the Deluxe King. There was four adults and one child staying this time. Each room had a spacious feel, this is probably due to the tulle curtains. Both rooms had spacious bathrooms and free standing baths which, compared to some I have ran before, didn't take long to fill on my relaxing Sunday morning wake up. The shower is very powerful and has a great attachment shower head which for us girlies who just want to refresh our hair is fab. I love the fact that you can buy Sanderson T-shirts in your room lol. Getting ready for our night out, I wandered around the room in the cosy dressing gowns that are supplied in the room, jumped on the bed and danced around the room to 9to5 on the radio. I felt completely at home and that's what The Sanderson does best here :-)

The TV is a great size anything bigger would be overpowering, it can be brought out of the window and turned around too in the DK, but in the Balcony room it was stuck in a cupboard which looked out dated and was in the way (it also housed the mini bar). The mini bar was very well stocked and a great way of topping up my Extreme Moijto from the bar down stairs. The TV is very difficult to get your head around the controls, even for me who likes to think of herself as very technically minded, my mom didn't have a chance lol. Another feature of the rooms was the HUGE mirror, I love love love huge mirrors and in the KD it was right next to the bed which could be used creatively on a romantic break lol. I used it for doing my hair and checking my outfit. Love love love it.

Some extras in the room which I wish I had more information about, as soon as I entered, was that in both rooms there were complimentary golf size umbrellas. They would have been really useful later on as it poured down and we got soaked lol. There was also coffee and tea facilities that we didn't find, they were well hidden, until we were about to check out the room.

We spent one afternoon, before we went out for the evening, down in the bar and restaurant where we gobbled down an amazing themed afternoon tea based on The Mad Hatters Tea Party. The sugar cubes could be found in a jewellery box, so cute!!!! The down fall of this was the cakes, my sister and mom thought they weren't really that nice. They looked amazing and I tried some of the white chocolate on the rainbow cake and it was nice too. I think it was the goo that put them off. The tasty bit for me was the peas growing out of the tea cup on top yummy x on a side note, breakfast filled me up for a whole day, it's huge. Summer would be lovely as you could enjoy the outside space with the water features and comfortable seating. Would be a perfect wedding venue.

Pros
> feels like you are home :-)
> modern rooms that at very spacious and are different to what I have experienced before
> the service was AMAZING!!!! I take customer service very seriously as it can really make or break a stay. This is one of the best I have experienced at a hotel.
> great for celebrity spotting :-) especially good looking England players

Cons
> we need to know where the coffee and tea facilities are in the room
> directions for using the TV needed

We would def recommend this hotel to friends and family. We hope to stay here again soon. I would be very grateful that if you enjoyed this review and found it helpful, you press your mouse/finger on the little button that says YES. Thank you in advance x

Room Tip: Unless you need a balcony the Deluxe king is more spacious
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We are delighted that you felt so at home at Sanderson, thank you for your fabulous review. It is great to read that you enjoyed so many elements about Sanderson and also loved the unique design and dream like ambience we have created in our guestrooms. We aim to provide a superior level of service in order for us to create a truly magical guest experience. JJ will be so pleased he helped to make your stay so special as he is extremely passionate about ensuring our guests have everything they may possibly need during their stay. We hope you visit us again soon, linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com would be delighted to personally oversee your next stay so please get in touch with her when you wish to return. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sanderson.
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

we stayed at the Sanderson Christmas week we had originally booked a king size bed but we got a queen bed in room 523 the staff were really helpful but the hotel was busy we couldn't find another suitable room but after 4 nights they gave us a Christmas gift and upgraded us to a loft suite for the last 2 nights which kind of balanced out the whole experience the rooms are nice but too modern for our taste the bathroom floors are clean but have dark stains on them which still gives you the feel that their dirty on the upside the food was good and the bar and reception were lovely and the staff are great am a more traditional kind of person so i wouldn't stay there again and if u decide to stay don't eat at the Italian restaurant across the street it wasnt any good.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review on the week you spent with us over Christmas. It was our pleasure to move you to a Loft Suite for the last few days of your visit and we are so glad that our team here made you feel welcome during your stay. We do hope that you decide to return in future although we appreciate that our modern design does not appeal to all tastes, however should you like any help with future bookings linxi.romanovski@mhgc.com will be delighted to assist you.

Been to Sanderson London Hotel? Share your experiences!