“Quirky Chic..” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #143 of 1,073 hotels in London
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Quirky Chic..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Lovely hotel set just off Oxford Street. We stayed here in the Summer, only for one night - the rooms are fairly small, but they are very nicely furnished, beds are comfy and the shower / bathroom facilities are good. We basically chose this hotel for the location. It was my Husbands birthday and we decided to have a night away (we live in Dubai) and usually stay with family in the UK, so it was nice to be on our own.

The bar on the ground floor is very quirky, well worth a visit. The main bar to right of the reception as you walk into the hotel is always very buzzy.

The breakfast is very good, the staff very friendly, and I would say very good value for money. A good place to base yourself if you are visiting London to do some shopping or want to see the sights.

Room Tip: The spa is very good. Hotel used to be a Material warehouse. The spa has kept that theme.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
We are delighted that you love the location of Sanderson Anna, we are lucky to be perfectly located in Central London. We hope your husband thoroughly enjoyed his birthday celebrations and the time you spent together whilst you were here. We hope you can come and stay with us again, please let Katie.taylor@mhgc.com know when you are coming back to London so that she can make sure your next stay is even more enjoyable.

752 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Turkish first
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

very friendly staff, was there for a week, excellent facilities. Took the hotel 3 days to repair the air con fir a fridge, then to a sauna before it was finally fixed.

The lifts are have 3d space pictures, if your not drunk when u get in, you feel drunk when u get out.

The corridors have very dim lighting which could be a problem for those with a sight disability

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you have the opportunity to return to Sanderson as we would love to welcome you back. Please get in touch with Katie.taylor@mhgc.com when you would like to make your next reservation.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Sanderson Hotel, London as a treat on Saturday 5th October. As soon as we arrived by taxi the doors were opened and our cases were taken to reception. The doormen were very attentive, opening doors and hailing taxis for us when required. We had requested a twin room but was given a double but Reception moved us immediately to a King Sized room with two quilts which was fine. The rooms were very unusual but very clean and spacious. Bed was really comfortable. The Reception area was very trendy and the Long Bar was brilliant. You should also try the Purple Bar, very romantic for couples. Also have to mention the lifts which were like being in 3D space. We also had the Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea here which was excellent and quirky. Our only criticism was the noise from the bar at 1am but when we called down to reception they turned the music down slightly. The drinks were also very expensive but there were plenty of places to walk to if you wanted to go a bit cheaper.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks Lisa for your great review. It is wonderful to hear that you and your friend had a fabulous stay with us earlier this month. We are delighted that you enjoyed so many elements Sanderson has to offer and had the time to enjoy a few drinks in the Long Bar and Purple Bar, and also sample our Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea. We do hope you both treat yourself to another stay at Sanderson soon. Please let Katie.taylor@mhgc.com when you intend to return so that she can make sure your next visit is even more enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sanderson.
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Was just over for a long weekend at the end of September. Location is pretty great; a mellow side street off of the crowded and tacky Oxford street. Pretty close to several tube stops and the buses and cabs on Oxford. Easy walking distance to Regents, Liberty, Soho, British Museum, etc. Very central.
In typical Schrager fashion the rooms and public spaces are more funky than functional, and the party goes late and loud. As in past 2AM, in the courtyard under your window. We slept fine due to exhaustion and nice boozy dinners- and we are from NYC. But others may have issues. And I will say the bathrooms are a bit much- the shower and sink hardware is tough to use- there are no shelves or baskets in the shower so everything ends upon the floor, there isn't mush privacy while using the toilet, etc- typical Schrager/Morgan's style. I sort of like it.
Breakfasts were good. Concierge got us a nice reservation last minute at a popular restaurant. We arrived early in the morning and we were able to use the spa to shower and freshen up before storing our bags and heading out for the day. Nice attentive staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for choosing Sanderson as your base whilst you were in London and we are so pleased you enjoyed our central location and that our great Concierge team were able to help with your restaurant reservations. Thank you also for your comments on our guestrooms and bathrooms, we are soon to undergo an exciting renovation project so we welcome all feedback. We do hope that you come back to Sanderson when you next come to London, please let Katie.taylor@mhgc.com when you have a date in mind and she will personally oversee your stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at Sanderson in 2010 when I came to London for a wedding. The reception area is stunning with funky furniture and white silk sheets hanging from the walls giving the place a very lux feel. The room was gorgeous, sticking with the interesting furniture and silk curtain theme, beautiful bathroom/wet room and the bed was soooo comfy! The lift is crazy!!!! Almost pitch black with 3D holograms covering the walls and ceiling made you feel like you were floating in space :) after the wedding we went to the private bar reserved only for guests. My partner had a whisky cocktail & a G&T, I had 3 apple & mint martinis (UNBELIEVABLE!!) unfortunately so was the £90 bill! Good job I wasn't paying!

Last year I treated my Mum to dinner @ Suka for her birthday. We had a stunning Malaysian banquet with a free cocktail! I found the offer on TopTable so the meal was very good value. My only niggle is that the waiter asked if we wanted water for the table which we assumed would be free and it wasn't! Won't make that mistake again!!

If you have the money, you should definitely stay here. It can come across a little pretentious but it's a luxury 5* boutique hotel. It's supposed to be like that!! The staff are lovely, food and drink superb and if you're lucky you may spot a celeb in the Long Bar!
I will definitely come back to try the afternoon tea... And another apple and mint martini!! :D

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your review of Sanderson, you must make sure you return to us again soon as it has been too long since your last visit! We would love to see you for our Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea, if you contact greg.iglicki@mhgc.com he would be delighted to make sure you have an absolutely memorable experience, and if you need help with reservations at the hotel, Katie.taylor@mhgc.com will make sure that your next stay is even more enjoyable than your first visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sanderson.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have been staying at the Sanderson for many years-mostly staying there when i travel for business. Very comfortable hotel. Centrally located in Soho. Rates that are reasonnsable for that location. A staff that is very helpful. Only drawback will be for some, the very busy and sometimes a bit too loud bar. It is quite important to request a room on the upper floors and rooms that are far away from the bar. I did spend one or two nights in the past, trying to go to sleep with a lot of background noise coming from the bar! Restaurant is very good as well-both for breakfast and lunch/dinner. They also have a great terrace as part of the bar and restaurant. A deifinite recommend.

Room Tip: Request rooms on upper floors and away from the bar side.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your great review and also for your recommendation. We are thrilled that you choose to stay at Sanderson when you visit London. Please let us know when you intend to return so that we can make your next stay extra special, Katie.taylor@mhgc.com is looking forward to hearing from you so she can help with your booking. We hope to see you at Sanderson in the very near future.
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed for 6 nights and overall my experience was positive. Fabulous location.

It didn't start well though when I rang to add another day to my booking. It seems that 'third party bookings' (I booked through Wotif), are considered as separate and I was told I needed to go back to the original booking and change it. My response was, er, you're the hotel reservation service, can't you help me? There was reluctance. Anyway we got over that hurdle, although with some insistence on my part!

Hotel was beautiful: decor stunning, rooms cool, clean and suitably minimalist for a hotel of this kind. Sheets and doona good quality,lots of towels and really nice bathroom products. Floaty curtains between bedroom and bathroom added to the atmosphere. One thing with the bathroom - it didn't have an electricity socket. When I asked about it I was told none of the rooms do. Huh? I needed to dry my hair and surely many men would need to shave??

At a practical level, I would have really liked to be able to make myself a cup of tea or coffee. Fridge full of alcohol, snacks and sweets but no tea or coffee. Given the price of the rooms it would be nice to have tea, coffee and a basic breakfast included in he rate.

I found the staff quite nice and helpful, yes they like to reflect the uber cool tone of the place, but that's to be expected.

I once read that the definition of a good hotel is a place you never want to leave. Six nights was too long for me at the Sanderson. A weekend would be great, but for me a longer term stay requires a more personal touch.

Maybe I'm just not cool enough....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your honest review of Sanderson, we appreciate all feedback so we can find out the areas where we need to improve. We are so glad that you found the hotel beautiful and that you loved our cool clean interior design, however we are sorry that you were disappointed with our personal service. We pride ourselves in offering the highest level of guest experience and always aim to make our guests feel welcome and at home at Sanderson so we apologise for letting you down whilst you were with us. We would also have been very happy to provide you with tea and coffee making facilities in your room. If there is anything you ever need whilst you are at Sanderson we will always do our best to provide it, so please ask us as we will always be happy to help. We very much hope you have the opportunity to come back to Sanderson so we can make sure your next stay far exceeds your expectations, please let Katie.taylor@mhgc.com know when you would like to make a booking so that she can personally oversee your stay.

Been to Sanderson London Hotel? Share your experiences!