“Kooky, modern hotel in the heart of London!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Berners Street, London W1T 3NG, England   |
Special Offer
Spring Break.
Ranked #176 of 1,069 hotels in London
“Kooky, modern hotel in the heart of London!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at Sanderson in 2010 when I came to London for a wedding. The reception area is stunning with funky furniture and white silk sheets hanging from the walls giving the place a very lux feel. The room was gorgeous, sticking with the interesting furniture and silk curtain theme, beautiful bathroom/wet room and the bed was soooo comfy! The lift is crazy!!!! Almost pitch black with 3D holograms covering the walls and ceiling made you feel like you were floating in space :) after the wedding we went to the private bar reserved only for guests. My partner had a whisky cocktail & a G&T, I had 3 apple & mint martinis (UNBELIEVABLE!!) unfortunately so was the £90 bill! Good job I wasn't paying!

Last year I treated my Mum to dinner @ Suka for her birthday. We had a stunning Malaysian banquet with a free cocktail! I found the offer on TopTable so the meal was very good value. My only niggle is that the waiter asked if we wanted water for the table which we assumed would be free and it wasn't! Won't make that mistake again!!

If you have the money, you should definitely stay here. It can come across a little pretentious but it's a luxury 5* boutique hotel. It's supposed to be like that!! The staff are lovely, food and drink superb and if you're lucky you may spot a celeb in the Long Bar!
I will definitely come back to try the afternoon tea... And another apple and mint martini!! :D

• Stayed December 2012
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for your review of Sanderson, you must make sure you return to us again soon as it has been too long since your last visit! We would love to see you for our Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea, if you contact greg.iglicki@mhgc.com he would be delighted to make sure you have an absolutely memorable experience, and if you need help with reservations at the hotel, Katie.taylor@mhgc.com will make sure that your next stay is even more enjoyable than your first visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sanderson.

688 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have been staying at the Sanderson for many years-mostly staying there when i travel for business. Very comfortable hotel. Centrally located in Soho. Rates that are reasonnsable for that location. A staff that is very helpful. Only drawback will be for some, the very busy and sometimes a bit too loud bar. It is quite important to request a room on the upper floors and rooms that are far away from the bar. I did spend one or two nights in the past, trying to go to sleep with a lot of background noise coming from the bar! Restaurant is very good as well-both for breakfast and lunch/dinner. They also have a great terrace as part of the bar and restaurant. A deifinite recommend.

Room Tip: Request rooms on upper floors and away from the bar side.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your great review and also for your recommendation. We are thrilled that you choose to stay at Sanderson when you visit London. Please let us know when you intend to return so that we can make your next stay extra special, Katie.taylor@mhgc.com is looking forward to hearing from you so she can help with your booking. We hope to see you at Sanderson in the very near future.
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed for 6 nights and overall my experience was positive. Fabulous location.

It didn't start well though when I rang to add another day to my booking. It seems that 'third party bookings' (I booked through Wotif), are considered as separate and I was told I needed to go back to the original booking and change it. My response was, er, you're the hotel reservation service, can't you help me? There was reluctance. Anyway we got over that hurdle, although with some insistence on my part!

Hotel was beautiful: decor stunning, rooms cool, clean and suitably minimalist for a hotel of this kind. Sheets and doona good quality,lots of towels and really nice bathroom products. Floaty curtains between bedroom and bathroom added to the atmosphere. One thing with the bathroom - it didn't have an electricity socket. When I asked about it I was told none of the rooms do. Huh? I needed to dry my hair and surely many men would need to shave??

At a practical level, I would have really liked to be able to make myself a cup of tea or coffee. Fridge full of alcohol, snacks and sweets but no tea or coffee. Given the price of the rooms it would be nice to have tea, coffee and a basic breakfast included in he rate.

I found the staff quite nice and helpful, yes they like to reflect the uber cool tone of the place, but that's to be expected.

I once read that the definition of a good hotel is a place you never want to leave. Six nights was too long for me at the Sanderson. A weekend would be great, but for me a longer term stay requires a more personal touch.

Maybe I'm just not cool enough....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your honest review of Sanderson, we appreciate all feedback so we can find out the areas where we need to improve. We are so glad that you found the hotel beautiful and that you loved our cool clean interior design, however we are sorry that you were disappointed with our personal service. We pride ourselves in offering the highest level of guest experience and always aim to make our guests feel welcome and at home at Sanderson so we apologise for letting you down whilst you were with us. We would also have been very happy to provide you with tea and coffee making facilities in your room. If there is anything you ever need whilst you are at Sanderson we will always do our best to provide it, so please ask us as we will always be happy to help. We very much hope you have the opportunity to come back to Sanderson so we can make sure your next stay far exceeds your expectations, please let Katie.taylor@mhgc.com know when you would like to make a booking so that she can personally oversee your stay.
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Great service. Super clean design hotel. Friendly and 5 star experience. We loved the stay and look forward to coming back. Quite busy and smooth vibe in the evening bars. Rooms are superior. Spa access free and only minor catch is the 10 pound internet access.

• Stayed September 2013
We are so glad that you loved your time at Sanderson and are delighted that you intend to come back to see us again soon, please get in touch with Katie.taylor@mhgc.com when you would like to make your reservation as she would be delighted to oversee your stay.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Too many mixed feelings about this hotel, so listed pros and cons below:

Pros:
Location - 2 mins walk from Oxford St shopping, 5 mins talk to 2 different tube stations. 3 mins walk to Charlotte St restaurants
Theme: Stunning lobby and lobby bars. Stunning pool room. Furniture is beautiful and beyond modern.
Rooms: Very beautiful and modern. Nicely decorated and provide an oasis to the city.

Cons:
There's a real snobbish feel about the staff. I was questioned in the lift (with my room key in my hand) if I was a guest of the hotel. Yes, I paid the exorbitant price to stay here. Yes, I had a room key, and yes, I also looked haggered and jet-lagged, but don't question people.
The lobby bar is a real destination for nearby workers to come have a drink after work, so it was very busy and noisy after 5pm
Way too overpriced for what it is - a funky hotel. No extra added services. No brekkie included or anything.
Elevator is disgusting. Its almost pitch black in there with solar-system-like walls and lights. It made me feel sick every time I entered it. Also, hallways to rooms are very dark.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your honest review of your time at Sanderson and although we are delighted that you loved the location and style of the hotel and our guestrooms, we are very disappointed to read that you felt uncomfortable during your stay, it is never our intention to make a guest feel unwelcome and we sincerely apologise if we came across ungraciously. We do hope that you allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves by returning to Sanderson in the future, please contact Katie.taylor@mhgc.com so that she can personally ensure your next visit exceeds your expectations.
caerphilly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

stayed for one night, very unusual furniture but looks really good, lovely modern room apart from odd picture on the ceiling above the bed, also no tea or coffee making facilities. would recomend this hotel

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
It is always a great compliment when a guest recommends our hotel so thank you so much for your review and recommendation and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are happy to provide tea and coffee making facilities if you would like them, please come back to see us again and we will ensure you have the facilities waiting for you in your room. If you contact Katie.taylor@mhgc.com when you would like to make a booking she will personally oversee your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sanderson.
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Positives:
- Great Bed
- Great Room layout having the bathtub/shower open to the entire room
- Restaurant/Bar have great food and AMAZING COCKTAILS
- Great Customer Service, everyone was very helpful
(Stayed at the Langham Lonon on previous trip, they had horrible service)
- Great gym for a hotel

Needs Improvement
- Can't think of any just yet...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We are thrilled that you loved so much about Sanderson, and it is especially rewarding to hear that our great team helped to make your experience so memorable. We hope you have the opportunity to return for another visit very soon, please contact Katie.taylor@mhgc.com when you would like to make a booking and she will make sure your next experience is even more special.

Been to Sanderson London Hotel? Share your experiences!