“The front of house staff need to be trained properly” 2 of 5 stars

Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #78 of 1,055 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester
“The front of house staff need to be trained properly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

It is unfortunate that i have to write a review for the Sanderson which scores so badly but unfortuately the staff on reception and the arrangement of the concierge is such that i do not believe they should be a 5 star.

Let's start with the good stuff:

Breakfasts - these were excellent with good service, although some people may find the staff a bit over friendly, they have clearly been taught to rehearse the same lines to everyone to make them feel valued. In some hotels this works, in the Sanderson it seemed a bit contrived, but that could have been because we had such a bad stay there.

The Manager - if you have a problem and the staff are not responding then make sure you contact him. He is the only one with any authority and we ended up feeling sorry for him because the people working for him at the front desk and in housekeeping were clearly very badly trained. Either that, or he was not managing them well....

The less good stuff:

The rooms have HORRENDOUS soundproofing.

The housekeeping staff have a manager who comes to check on the rooms once they have been serviced, but be aware that he does not knock and may barge in at any time. When we rang the front desk to complain, the girl did not seem at all bothered and we have no doubt the message was not passed on.

The front of house. There is no concierge on the door to help you carry bags from your taxi or assist you in any way. After check in you are offered the service of a bell man, but by this point you have done the hard bit!

The reception desk staff. We didn't meet one person on the front desk who was properly trained, or who understood our requests or complaints. It took several phone calls to establish that we wanted an extra reading lamp in the room, the receptionist thought we needed an engineer despite the fact we never reported a fault, we just asked for an extra light!

On check in we were combining two independent bookings which our agent had attempted to do prior to our arrival but with no luck [probably due to the staff on the front desk being so uncapable]. We successfully arranged it so we could stay in the same room and provided the usual credit card details for the extras. The following day we were then hounded all afternoon by the girl who had checked us in to go and pay for the previous night and the extras incurred. She hadn't combined the two bookings at all and expected us to "pay as we went" in order to make her life easier. Eventually the manager looked after the situation but the receptionist was so incompetent and rude when we were trying to explain the situation.

Later on in the day, we again had to call on the reception staff for assistance and even after 3 calls and 45 minutes our request was not met.

Soundproofing is horrendous. There are other reviews that suggest not being above the bar and we would echo this. You can hear it all day and night and everything that goes on in the corridors as well.

All in all the place needs to retrain their staff or get better skilled personnel for the front desk. This is the part of the hotel that leaves the biggest impression on a guest and for us we would have received better service in a budget hotel.

Room Tip: the higher the better i guess, but go elsewhere, you can spend this sort of money and get real five...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complete review and it is obviously disappointing that we let you down. Please accept our sincere apologies for any miscommunication in relation to the request for signing a new registration card – as you mention, there were two separate bookings in the system and a signature was required for both, however we do not appear to have communicated in a more attentive or gracious manner. As soon as the Front Office Manager was aware of your disappointment, he organised a 50% discount on your own rate and a complimentary bottle of champagne together with an invitation to contact him direct on a future stay. There is no excuse for any member of staff entering a room without the proper procedure, we are also sorry if a member of the bell team was not available on arrival to help with luggage. These service issues will be addressed with the relevant members of staff. I would also be pleased to speak with you personally and take the opportunity to discuss a return to the hotel, please contact me on kevin.rockey@mhgc.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We needed a place to stay while being stuck in London due to hurricane Sandy. The Sanderson's staff couldn't have been more accommodating. From laundry service, to arranging meeting space, to the fabulous bar tender, we couldn't have been more pleased. The rooms are gorgeous. Breakfast was delicious. And the decor is funky and modern, while still being quite comfortable. We loved it!

• Stayed October 2012
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you so much, Keith, for your feedback, we are delighted that you loved us. We understood the impact the Hurricane Sandy had for many of our guests and we very much appreciate your kind comments in relation to our service in response. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sanderson when you are next in London and please do let us know when you have another reservation in place at Sanderson.
Bridgend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Stayed with a group of girls for a "classy" hen night. Booked in with confusion over credit card guarantee etc... Requested an early book in but didn't get one. In fact, left luggage and took a walk into town to return to still no rooms ready....
No concierge at door when we arrived, heavy front doors.... Random furniture with plain front desk... Lifts amazing! Blinged up and beautiful!
Afternoon tea ok, I've had better ill be honest. Breakfast amazing! Best ever...
Rooms sparce.. With no privacy for groups sharing :(( double superior room had two beds that weren't double but three-quarter which disappointed.... No kettle in room either and the view was awful of fire escapes and the back of a building.....
Girls congregated in one room to surprise hen in question and at only 6.30 received complaints from adjoining room... Was asked to leave room and go downstairs by manager, not impressed....... We had originally requested adjoining rooms by were located on different floors!
I won't be returning and certainly not st those prices!

• Stayed October 2012
We will always endeavour to meet our guests’ special requests such as early arrival, however it is subject to availability and cannot be guaranteed. We are sorry if this was not made known to you and also for the lack of assistance on arrival, this will be discussed with the bell team. We do not encourage any partying in our rooms and if we receive a complaint, we will investigate to request consideration for other residents. We have a very limited number of rooms with two beds, and images and descriptions of all room types are included on our website. The designs of Ian Schrager and Philippe Starck have a story behind them and we are always pleased to talk about the ethos behind the various images. We apologise if we did not meet your expectations, if you do consider staying with us again, please let us know when a future reservation is in place as we would be very pleased to oversee your booking.
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Got to stay here several nights on a work visit to London. Being part of the Morgan's Hotel Group, and sister to St. Martin's Lane Hotel, I assumed this would be a great hotel which it was.

Location is great. Assuming you stay in a particular part of London either for work or to tour, this part of town is nice. It's a more affluent crowd with a lot of cool old pubs around, plenty of places to eat, and quick 5-10 minute walk to several tube stations, safe.

Hotel is expected Morgan's hip/chic. Gigantic lip sofa when you walk in, modern look, really cool elevator that had a quasi-3D illuminated star constellation on the ceiling. For London the room size was pretty good, nice bed and amenities, nice shower, very clean, view of the street and adjacent office building. Service was also good for what I encountered but didn't talk to the front desk much or use any facilities. The bar on the ground floor is particularly cool with an interesting varying scene. Drinks are not cheap, but good, so its cool to stop in after dinner, have a drink, and clock out.

My only complaint might be the room rates out of a corporate arrangement, but you're paying for the location and that it's a Morgan's hotel. For a work visit it was excellent.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
We are delighted that you had a chance to stay with us and that you enjoyed so many elements of Sanderson. We have a great mixologist team for the bars and they love to create both modern and traditional cocktails with a twist. We look forward to welcoming you back (to Sanderson or St Martins Lane) and please let us know when you are returning to either property.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I make a disicion to book my VIP guests at this hotel because I like the design.
I booked 1 deluxe King and 2 Twins on 19-20 Oct and 24-16th Oct.
But when I start making my booking I come across I can only fill in one guest name on the booking form for Twin room! And I need to fill in 2 names because of the VISA application.
Finally I have to call thier customer service and it put me through Canada, The people who work there are hardly understand what I need and most of the time I feel like I was talking to the robot!
Eventually I manage to speak to the london hotel booking team and get all my guests names in a writen confirmation manually.The london team has make so much mistake of the spelling and it took me numerous time to get it right!
By the time we check in, they make a mistake by given my guests 2 deluxe and 1 twin.- I only found out when the guests check out!
We were away for few days and check in again and this time they make the same mistake!!!!!
It was around 7pm and all the twins rooms were taken and Nigel offer 2 double room instead but he didn't mention this is a joining room! My guests have to stay with thier children so we didn't take it. Furture more, we were ask for a late check out on 26th Oct and non of the check in staffs know about this!!!
They have no conmunacations between management and staffs!
The feed back from my guests is they serve the worse coffee in town!!!!! and I wonder the manager have tasted thier own coffee!!!!!
Unfortunatelly, I have book in for my next VIP group in DEC so I am praying they get it right this time. Aman!

Room Tip: Make sure the room is not facing the court yard!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you, Aman, for your feedback and please accept our sincere apologies for the errors on room reservations. Our London Reservations agent was in contact with Alex direct to apologise for the misunderstanding on exact room types required. Unfortunately we have very few rooms with two twin beds or interconnecting options, however we were able to allocate adjoining rooms. We appreciate you offering us the opportunity to redeem ourselves by organising another group visit in December and please contact me direct if you have any specific requirements or requests for this group. We look forward to welcoming your guests in December.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I spent a couple of nights here booked via Voyage Prive. Although we were assured that there would be no problems getting a twin room by Voyage Prive, when we arrived we had been booked into a double. The reception staff were very apologetic but had no twin available our first night; they could not have been more helpful and organised an upgrade for the following night.
Rooms are spacious,clean and we found all the staff charming and attentive. Afternoon tea was really special and just ask if you want to have time to drink your champagne first before tea is brought.
Breakfast is substantial and all cooked fresh to order so be prepared to wait a short time; it was a big plus for us that it is served until 11.30am at the weekend.

• Stayed October 2012
We are so pleased that you enjoyed a special stay at Sanderson and thank you for the great comments. We will follow up with Voyage Prive to ensure there is no miscommunication in relation to rooms with one or two beds, particularly as we have very few twin rooms and they are very popular. We are also delighted that you had a chance to enjoy our Mad Hatter’s Afternoon Tea and our excellent new breakfast menu. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay (and please note that we have offers on our website), do let us know when you are staying again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

1. IT'S LIKE STAYING AT A NIGHTCLUB
I Like nightclubs, but I don't expect to feel like I am in a nightclub when I am in my room. It was unbearably loud. The rooms aren't soundproofed. I did get relocated further away from the bar after I raised the issue but was relocated adjacent to the fire stairs which was used regularly and loudly. On weekend nights I was regularly questioned at the door by the security to validate that I was a guest.

2. FOOD
I tried the breakfast for the first three days. Cold toast. Hotel style coffee. Gave up and went to an an amazing Italian bakery PRINCI just 5 minutes walk from the hotel - it is brilliant. Best coffee in London. I tried the room service three times each time it was too cold to eat.

3. ROOM QUALITY
There is no getting around Philippe Starck is a genius. The Sanderson is like walking into the 90's. It is one of the key reasons why I wanted to stay here. While the bed is great the rest of the furniture is very poor quality and seems like it is direct from 90's IKEA. Drawers get stuck. The cupboard's unstable. The blind broke when I tried to use it.

4. SERVICE
I don't think I was cool enough to get great service. I have stayed at a lot of 5 star hotels and the best ones make everyone feel welcome and treat every guest equally. I also wasn't told the hotel had a car service until I was leaving - something I would have loved to have used.

5. VALUE
When you stay at a great hotel in an amazing city you always feel like you are spending well no matter what the cost. At the Sanderson I felt I was staying in what might have once been a great hotel. The is the first review I have been motivated to write because the quality of the experience was so poor. I know there are great hotels in London unfortunately this isn't one of them.

Stayed October 2012
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Please accept our sincere apologies that we did not meet your 5 star expectations, and your feedback will be discussed across the departments as we obviously let ourselves down in terms of poor service and lack of attention to detail in several areas during your stay. I am sorry if we were not aware of such disappointment during your stay as I would have been pleased to investigate and meet with you at that time. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves by visiting us again and please contact me direct so that I may discuss your feedback in more detail and personally oversee a return visit.

Been to Sanderson London Hotel? Share your experiences!