“Special place and attentive staff” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Berners Street, London W1T 3NG, England   |
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #115 of 1,062 Hotels in London
“Special place and attentive staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I spent a couple of nights here booked via Voyage Prive. Although we were assured that there would be no problems getting a twin room by Voyage Prive, when we arrived we had been booked into a double. The reception staff were very apologetic but had no twin available our first night; they could not have been more helpful and organised an upgrade for the following night.
Rooms are spacious,clean and we found all the staff charming and attentive. Afternoon tea was really special and just ask if you want to have time to drink your champagne first before tea is brought.
Breakfast is substantial and all cooked fresh to order so be prepared to wait a short time; it was a big plus for us that it is served until 11.30am at the weekend.

• Stayed October 2012
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
We are so pleased that you enjoyed a special stay at Sanderson and thank you for the great comments. We will follow up with Voyage Prive to ensure there is no miscommunication in relation to rooms with one or two beds, particularly as we have very few twin rooms and they are very popular. We are also delighted that you had a chance to enjoy our Mad Hatter’s Afternoon Tea and our excellent new breakfast menu. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay (and please note that we have offers on our website), do let us know when you are staying again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

1. IT'S LIKE STAYING AT A NIGHTCLUB
I Like nightclubs, but I don't expect to feel like I am in a nightclub when I am in my room. It was unbearably loud. The rooms aren't soundproofed. I did get relocated further away from the bar after I raised the issue but was relocated adjacent to the fire stairs which was used regularly and loudly. On weekend nights I was regularly questioned at the door by the security to validate that I was a guest.

2. FOOD
I tried the breakfast for the first three days. Cold toast. Hotel style coffee. Gave up and went to an an amazing Italian bakery PRINCI just 5 minutes walk from the hotel - it is brilliant. Best coffee in London. I tried the room service three times each time it was too cold to eat.

3. ROOM QUALITY
There is no getting around Philippe Starck is a genius. The Sanderson is like walking into the 90's. It is one of the key reasons why I wanted to stay here. While the bed is great the rest of the furniture is very poor quality and seems like it is direct from 90's IKEA. Drawers get stuck. The cupboard's unstable. The blind broke when I tried to use it.

4. SERVICE
I don't think I was cool enough to get great service. I have stayed at a lot of 5 star hotels and the best ones make everyone feel welcome and treat every guest equally. I also wasn't told the hotel had a car service until I was leaving - something I would have loved to have used.

5. VALUE
When you stay at a great hotel in an amazing city you always feel like you are spending well no matter what the cost. At the Sanderson I felt I was staying in what might have once been a great hotel. The is the first review I have been motivated to write because the quality of the experience was so poor. I know there are great hotels in London unfortunately this isn't one of them.

Stayed October 2012
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Please accept our sincere apologies that we did not meet your 5 star expectations, and your feedback will be discussed across the departments as we obviously let ourselves down in terms of poor service and lack of attention to detail in several areas during your stay. I am sorry if we were not aware of such disappointment during your stay as I would have been pleased to investigate and meet with you at that time. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves by visiting us again and please contact me direct so that I may discuss your feedback in more detail and personally oversee a return visit.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Arrived by taxi from airport,
No concierge . Taxi driver looked for assistance to no avail. driver carried bags ou stairs and into hotel. Staff seemed unconcerned. Laughed no one around. A helpful young man, not in his usual duty, finally performed check in. Seemed very disorganized, no protocol. Poor reception. Room very small. Claimed an upgrade would have been available but hy were sold out. Very limited place to put clothes, bags, etc for a longer stay. One plug far off from anywhere to plug computer in. No plug available by desk to plug devices in.
Will review at the end of stay. For the caliber of hotel, not up to standard. Great location for shops and cafes and restaurants.

Room Tip: Love to know how!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are very sorry that your initial impression of Sanderson has been one of disappointment and we appreciate your frustration when we did not appear more attentive or helpful on arrival. If we have been aware of your concerns and requirements (e.g. extension leads, additional hangers/railing), we should have assisted and if you are still in-house, I would be very pleased to meet with you to discuss your feedback.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The room was spacious, bed comfortable, bathroom clean. Service was swift but not especially friendly. We had afternoon tea, which was fantastic. Meals are fairly expensive though (£18) for breakfast etc so you can have this for a more reasonable price outside the hotel. Despite this, I will definitely return.

Room Tip: None of the views are particularly good on the lower floors. Try and pick a higher one.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
We are delighted that you had an excellent stay, and that you will be returning to stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments on the room, comfort and afternoon tea in particular. We are passionate about offering a friendly and gracious service at all times so it is disappointing if this element was not always evident. Please do let us know when you have next booked to stay as we would be very pleased to oversee your return visit, including high floor.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Have stayed here before and was taken by it then it's a haven of style bang in the city centre .I was concerned it may have been a bit tired bit no it was still fresh and was almost looking kitsch now (a comment I'm not sure how starck would take).Staff very helpful yet not in your face and spa is so relaxed and chilled.The bar was a bubbling hub of London style junkies and great to people watch.Would Definetley stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you so much, Craig, for your great comments on the location, service, spa and Long Bar. We’re delighted that you continue to enjoy our style and ambience, we are very passionate about creating a memorable guest experience so we’re very happy to know that you’ll definitely be back. Please let us know when you’ve made your next reservation.
Berlin, Deutschland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Very stylish and modern design. Young and friendly stuff at the reception. Very helpful and friendly when asking. Great location to explore the city. Even for holiday or business trips. the rooms are totaly in white and very poor modern design. I love that style.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Alberto, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Sanderson and we are happy to know that you particularly liked our style, design and service. We look forward to welcoming you back, either for business or leisure, and do let us know when you are staying with us again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

If you want to treat yourself in London this is the place to go. Great bar and restaurant, outstanding spa, lavishly decorated, wonderful derive.
The best part was the breakfast, the best breakfast I've ever had!

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you, Katie, for your wonderful feedback, it’s great to know that you had an opportunity to enjoy agua, our urban spa, as well as Suka and Long Bar. Since you stayed, we have updated our menus in the outlets and introduced a new, healthy option menu in the spa,and look forward to welcoming you back for another best stay, please do let us know when you have another reservation in place.

Been to Sanderson London Hotel? Share your experiences!