“Avoid the courtyard rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #112 of 1,063 Hotels in London
melbourne
“Avoid the courtyard rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

its a lovely hotel, the service and rooms perfect.
Ask for rooms far away from the courtyard.
You will sleep better.

Room Tip: never over the courtyard. EVER.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for your very kind comments on the rooms and service in particular. We are sorry for any disturbance from the Courtyard during your stay and please let us know when you are next staying so that we can upgrade your guest history with your preferred room type and location.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

Have been a regular at The Sanderson for many years.

Great hotel and typically impeccable service - until now.

Spent the weekend there and was woken by fire alarms early in the morning on Saturday AND Sunday. Apparently the system is extremely sensitive and if someone chooses to smoke in their room every guest in the hotel knows about it.

The most disappointing bit was the response from the assistant manager. When I first raised my complaint about being woken he said there was nothing he could do. Subsequently, he chose to refund my room upgrade and mini bar tab. All a little too much, a little too late.

Sad to say I am disappointed with my favorite London hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
We are very sorry that your previous enjoyment of the hotel was impacted by fire alarm issues on your most recent stay. The safety and security of our guests and staff is paramount, and all alarms are viewed as genuine alerts until advised otherwise. On the majority of occasions, there is an opportunity to investigate and determine quickly if it is a false alarm so that our guests are not disturbed. However, if a full alert is sounded, it is viewed as a genuine alarm until both the hotel and the London Fire Brigade have ensured all is secure. We do allow smoking in some rooms, however this does not automatically trigger the alarms. It is disappointing if your concerns were not discussed in a more gracious or attentive manner and this has been discussed with the relevant individuals. Please let us know when you are next staying with us so that I can oversee your stay and hopefully have an opportunity to meet with you.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This hotel is beautiful to look at but extremely rude, arrogant staff let it down. I have stayed in this hotel on a number of times with my partner and although we've tried other hotels what always pulls us back to the Sanderson is the room and particularly the bed - it is so huge and so comfortable and you are guaranteed a great night's sleep. And on this occassion, I did have a great sleep but my problem began at check-in.
I arrived on a later flight and my partner had already checked in and left the hotel leaving a key for me at reception. Arriving at reception, there was no warm greeting, no welcome, just a miserable, grumpy, rude lady (I am so disappointed I didn't get her name to make a proper complaint but she had brown short hair and was possibly south african, new zealander.) When I explained my partner had left my name, she checked the computer screen and curtly replied, 'You're name is not on the room so I can't let you in.' She then went on to the next customer without letting me respond. I called my partner to check and he guaranteed me it was on the room. I then had to wait for 5 or so minutes while the horrible lady dealt with another customer. She came back and as I politely told her 'My name is definitely on the room.' She cut me short with 'Sir, I've told you your name is not on the room so you'll have to appreciate I'm not letting you in.' At this point I was getting irritated as she wasn't letting me explain that they had changed my partner's room and he had filed out paperwork and they had probably forgot to transfer my name from the old room to the new one. At this point she went behind the wardrobe and returned with said paperwork and started to make me a key. What was terrible here was that there was absolutely no recognition of her mistake or the fact she had made me wait or being so rude to me. I had to say something so I told her I found her rude. I was obviously not the first person to think this as her rehearsed response of 'I'll endeavour to rectify that' simply made me more annoyed. This woman really shouldn't be working in this industry. A simple, smile, a welcome, a friendly face is what you're looking for. Not this arrogant, obnoxious, rude woman. It really did dampen my stay and I really don't think I'll ever return - most comfortable hotel beds in the world or not.
On other bad notes - the glasses in the mini bar were filthy and I had to ring and wait for clean ones.
And the pressure in the shower was so strong, it was actually painful.
In short this hotel is beautiful to look at with stunning rooms but the staff could definitely do with some training and possible learn how to smile and be polite to the customers.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Sanderson London Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and we are truly sorry that your stay was impacted by such a disappointing and unacceptable welcome and service interaction. Your concerns have been discussed with the agent and her manager, and all members of the Front Office team are fully aware of the expectations placed upon them as the first introduction to the hotel and their actions and behaviour are therefore key to a positive guest experience. We appreciate your additional frustration when we were then not more attentive in relation to the minibar glasses. We let you down on this occasion and our Director of Rooms has been in contact to invite you back to the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Stayed here for a night recently and have to say i loved it. The room was beautiful and tranquil, location was amazing for shopping on oxford street and the food in the restaurant was exciting and really really tasty. Crazy expensive but i think...it was worth it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you, Ollie, for your great comments and we’re so pleased that so many elements (location, design, tranquillity, taste) worked for you. Our rates will fluctuate during peak periods, however our website always has promotions and packages available and we look forward to welcoming you back when hopefully you will also have a change to enjoy a martini in the Purple Bar or a treatment in agua.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Had been a year ago for business, wasnt particularly impressed so decided to wait a while and try again.
Have to say that all the good points (friendly staff, good bar/entertainment) are still there, however, the concept of the hotel still is bewildering to me and so detracts from the experience.
The main bar is still as active as ever, with Thursday-Sat nights being a free for all for all kinds of beatiful people. The Sauna is spectacular as is the whole health center.
My issue is with the rooms that are very dark (already the lift is basically pitch balck and so are the corridors) and with the basic nature of the rooms.
Beds in the center of room, curtains that divide the living area from the bathrooms, not even a mirror in front of the wash-basin, rather on its side making shaving a nightmare.
I think the hotel's concept was modern a few years ago, but now it just seems dated and would reccomend a make over..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
It is disappointing that some areas of the design did not work for you and we are currently working with our Design team on various enhancements to the guestrooms to include more colour and comfort. The lower lighting of the lifts and corridor was originally intended as a peaceful influence after the buzz of the Lobby and bars, however again we are planning new carpeting and colour. We would be delighted to welcome you back to convince you of our commitment to our guests’ comfort and service satisfaction and please let us know when you are next staying with us.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband & I were entertaining customers recently, and after dinner at Nobu we decided to take them to The long bar, we have had many great night and wanted to show our company what a great hotel. Wrong move we left a very stylish Nobu bar only to be treated disgracefully by the door men at the Sanderson. Not only were we turned away for no reason we were extremely embarrassed as these were my husbands top customers. I think the policy is if your face fits you get in. Very very disappointing indeed!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
We take our licensing responsibilities very seriously and there may be occasions when we are not able to accommodate non-residents in our outlets. This does not excuse any less than gracious service at the door and this has been addressed with the Security team. Please contact me direct for any future visit to the hotel so that I may ensure your name is on the guest list.
Maidenhead
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I went there on a Sunday for a birthday Cream Tea, the presentation was lovely, the food was nice but nothing special, they hype up the food to make it sound unusual, but its just lollipops and stuff, there was more sweet stuff than savory, the sandwiches were lovely and fresh but small. However my main problems were we weren't asked what tea we would like until after he had brought us the food, so by the time the tea came we were half way through our food, also a few of us asked for fruit tea, their tea didn't arrive with ours, in fact they had to wait another 30 minutes plus just to be told they had run out, so by the time they had received anything to drink we were nearly finished.
Also the most upsetting and frustrating part was that I had originally booked a table for 7, but when I tried to change it to 8 the day before I was told no I couldnt, they were completely and fully booked, so I had to tell one of my friends sorry you can't come at the last minute, not what I wanted to do on my birthday. Which would have been understandable if we had gone there to a packed out restaurant, but it wasn't, and we could have easily added an 8th person to our table and I could have had all my friends with me.
In summary, nice, but not £40 worth of nice, Cream tea at the Ritz is much better! (£35 plus they added on £5 service charge) but would have been nicer if all my friends were there being fed and watered on time

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback and we are very sorry for any disappointment with the service itself. We should also have been more attentive to assisting with your request for an additional place setting and this has been reviewed with the relevant individuals. Our Food & Beverage Manager has subsequently been in contact with you to discuss your concerns and I understand he has invited you to return so that he can personally oversee your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back at that time.

Been to Sanderson London Hotel? Share your experiences!