“Exceptional hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 1,073 hotels in London
St. Helena, California
“Exceptional hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This hotel is what every luxury hotel should be. My husband, adult daughter and I stayed at the Dorchester after Christmas through New Years day. Our visit exceeded our expectations. The staff is exceptional. Not only are they knowledgeable and attentive, they are absolutely charming and engaged. Rooms are elegant, comfortable and well appointed. We tried several restaurants and each, though different, was a perfect dining experience. Dinner New Year's Eve at the Grill will be a family memory, treasured forever. I want to go back!!!. Soon.!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
John S, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Leslie,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am very pleased to read that we exceeded your expectations and how highly you valued the staff and service during your stay. It is also a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed New Year’s Eve at The Grill and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards, John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

885 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

“From the minute our car pulled up to the entrance, I knew this would a special stay. The doormen and reception were super kind and welcoming. Walking into the lobby I was overwhelmed by the enormous flower arrangements, which were too stunning for words. We settled into our suite, enjoying the views of Hyde Park and grapes from a lovely fruit basket. (Room tip: Request a newly renovated Park Suite for your stay, if budget allows.) Later we got massages to ward off the jet lag; the spa is incredible, so beautiful and serene (Ladies – the nail station is the prettiest little jewel of a salon, worth a visit). We ate dinner at The Grill one night, which was just delicious, and I very much enjoyed the bar downstairs at China Tang for cocktail hour. Be sure to consult with George the concierge to set up reservations around the city, we found him incredibly helpful. Our few days at The Dorchester were such a treat!”

Room Tip: Room tip: Request a newly renovated Park Suite for your stay, if budget allows.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
John S, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Consigliera,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such kind comments on your recent visit to The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including dinner in The Grill, cocktails in China Tang and were also able to experience massages in the spa. I will share your kind feedback with George and the rest of the team involved and I very much look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I booked the Dorchester for the night as a special treat for my birthday. I had booked the Superior King Room at the special festive rate which was approx. 50% discount off normal rate. On arrival my room wasn't quite ready so they asked me to wait and have a tea or coffee whilst waiting, after about 15 minutes the Head of the Promenade Room asked if l was waiting for anything, he was fantastic, Pierre was his name, told him l was waiting for coffee (obviously the guy l checked in with had not ordered this) and he very kindly gave me lots of information about the hotel which was great. After coffee my room was ready. I asked for a room on a low floor as l don't do lifts, which was arranged. On entering the room l was pleasantly surprised how lovely the room was, but felt pleased that l had received a 50% discount as l would not have paid full rate for such a room, the window overlooked other rooms and a fire escape so nothing pleasant to look out too. On returning to the hotel later in the evening, l wanted to charge my mobile, hunted high and low for a power point and found one by the window.... couldn't find anymore though, just glad l didn't want to dry my hair at the same time! The bed had been turned down and two pairs of comfy slippers were supplied. I decided to put on the tv.... it was very grainy picture on most channels but ok if you wanted BBC1! thought about buying the movie skyfall at £15 but decided against this with the picture so grainy. It was time for bed.....and after about an hour wished l could have got in my car and gone home.... is was the worst bed and pillows l have ever laid on.... it was like laying on a bed of marshmallows... it was the softest bed you could imagine, the pillows were even worse... l can honestly say it was the worst night sleep l had ever had. Usually on my birthday l stay in nice hotels in London, last year l stayed at the Savoy and the year before the Lanesborough...... l have to say the previous hotels were much better sleep wise, customer service wise infact everything. The whole point of booking of this calibre for a special treat is because of the treatment and facilities they provide. The previous two hotels because it was a birthday not only upgraded me but also gave a birthday cake because it was a special occasion... the Dorchester supplied nothing..... to which l have to say was surprised. Even breakfast the following morning... it was ok but have had better served up at other hotels. Such a shame..... but next year l will be going back to the Savoy or Lanesborough, l won't be hurrying back to the Dorchester

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I always treat my partner for this elegant afternoon tea service yearly for our Anniversary and I must say I never reviewed it on tripadvisor as I normally tend to write directly to the management so they can share my compliments with their staff. I was really touched by how genuine and friendly their staff was on this occasion. When I made a booking I mentioned it was a special occasion and when we bumped into lovely Rocio in the lobby she smiled and asked if we need any help. As soon as we mentioned we had a booking for 13.15 she continued "Welcome back to The Dorchester using my name... shall we make your anniversary the most memorable one yet?" We were so touched by her friendliness and genuine service. 5 star hotel service could be quite false... The Dorchester service was far from it... It was truly friendly, relaxed and yet very elegant. We were then left in care of lovely waitress Serena who really took time to have a friendly chat and ask questions about our anniversary and what else we planned for the rest of the day. Needless to say the quality of the Dorchester afternoon tea is superb with brilliant selection of teas, sandwiches, scones and cakes. The Promenade manager Richard is one of the gentlest people and really extended his warm welcome. I love Dorchester for its elegance and sophistication... but above all... we are always made feel comfortable and welcomed there. You must be very proud of your staff. Our special Thank you to your lovely Richard, Rocio and Serena for making our special occasion so memorable. (our booking was on 24th January 2013 at 1315).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Emil,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of your recent visit for Afternoon Tea at the Dorchester. It is an absolute delight to read what wonderful service and personal touches Richard, Rocio and Serena offered on your anniversary and I shall pass on your kind comments to them, as well as the rest of the team at The Promenade. I would also like to thank you for your continued loyalty to The Dorchester and celebrating your special day with us on an annual basis. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester again soon.
Kind regards, Stephane Lafon, Director of Food and Beverage, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
san clemente, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Beautiful Grand Dame of London. This hotel is well situated to London attractions but once you're in the hotel, you never want to leave. Restaurants are excellent, service is great and the hotel is very comfortable. Don't forget to check out the spa--fantastic! We will be returning soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodland Hills, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is a great hotel in every respect. The common areas are gorgeous as are the rooms. I'm very particular and critical and I can't say a bad word.
This is one of the greatest hotels in the world.
The service is exemplary and what makes it so special is that, unlike some of its competitors, there is no "attitude" or condescension--the staff are genuinely caring. For instance, if you want a cup of coffee/ tea in the promenade bar, there is no dress code; instead be comfortable. I really appreciate this--who wants to dress up to relax?
Ate at the Grill room twice and was exceptional both times.Both times we shared a dinner and "no problem".
Also had dinner at the Promenade Bar on 2 occasions and it too was perfect.
Magnificent sheets,pillows, towels. It was so comfortable, we didn't get out of bed til 11am.
What a pleasure to stay here--I've never been to hotel that is better.

Room Tip: If it's a slow time, they will likely upgrade you with a smile
Lymington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Attended a conference in London and took the opportunity to stay at the Dorchester. From the professional and equally friendly greeting by the door team, this experience continued throughout our stay. The room exceeded expectations and the icing on the cake was a 'Dorchester' bookmark placed in my bedside book by the turn down team.
After taking the opportunity to see a musical, we returned to have roomservice and regardless that it was mid night, the service and quality was superb.
My final comment is that I've never stayed in a hotel with such soft and comfortable pillows. Your head 'melts' into them and anybody thinking of treating themselves to a stay, I would personally highly recommend this hotel

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Boss17,
Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words about your stay at The Dorchester. I am pleased to hear that the service, food and rooms at The Dorchester surpassed your expectations and you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate all feedback and I shall pass your comments onto the team who looked after you – especially housekeeping, for ensuring you will remember us and never again lose your page.
Kind Regards, John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Been to The Dorchester? Share your experiences!