“The best Hotel in London” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Escape from £355
Ranked #47 of 1,073 hotels in London
Northampton, United Kingdom
“The best Hotel in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Dorchester on Saturday, 22 December 2012 for the first time. We have in the past stayed at many hotels in London from the Savoy (our favourite prior to refurbishment), Claridges through the many Hiltons to some quite ordinary ones.

I have to say that based on our experience, the Dorchester was quite exceptional. From arrival, through check-in to our first drink in the bar, we found the staff to be totally focused on our well-being.

Our room was big and comfortable, spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated.

Breakfast the following day was a pleasure.

My only regret was that we did not dine at the Dorchester but rather made the mistake of eating at Langan's Brasserie off Piccadilly!

Room Tip: The staff will do their best to mneet your requirements
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
thedorchester, Hotel Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Philip K,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such kind feedback of your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the service and it will be a pleasure to share this kind feedback with the team here. I look forward to welcoming you back soon and to reserving your table at one of our many food offerings within the hotel, including The Grill at The Dorchester, three Michelin-starred Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester and China Tang at The Dorchester.

Kind regards, John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

880 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This was our 2nd stay at the Dorchester mainly to visit and have some fun at the Winter Wonderland accross the road in Hyde Park. From our arrival to departure, the service was outstanding with no attention to detail missed. The atmosphere screamed "CHRISTMAS LUXURY" I would also like to say a huge thank you to Juan in the Promenade and Mr Scanlon for making this stay truly memorable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
thedorchester, Hotel Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear TRACEY_COLLINS1969,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. It was a pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel and to read how much you enjoyed our Christmas atmosphere, the service and the hotel’s location. I see you enjoyed our Gingerbread Hotel and I hope you also had a chance to experience all the other elements that we had to offer over the festive season. It will be a delight to share your comments with the team and I look forward to welcoming you again on your next stay with us.

Boston MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I have stayed at The Dorchester two more times this fall and both times I was upgraded to newly redecorated rooms. Redecorating an icon like The Dorchester isn't easy: it has a distinct look (sumptuous glamor one might say) and I suspect its repeat guests get very attached to rooms being just as they remember them. That said, the new decors, while less 'English country house,' are splendid: handsome, harmonious and expensive-looking, just what you'd expect in this paragon of luxury hostelry. The beds, pillows and sheets are still divinely comfortable. And of course the staff remains the same: ever eager to be helpful and a delight to deal with. My last stay was early in December and The Promenade featured the biggest gingerbread house I had ever seen, a superb recreation of the front facade of the hotel. Bravo to the manager for commissioning this piece!

Room Tip: Rooms 819 and 512 have both been recently redecorated.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear LivingWell,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed staying in our newly refreshed suites and that you were able to see our Gingerbread Hotel. I hope you also had a chance to experience all the other elements that we had to offer over the festive season. It will be a pleasure to share your comments with the team and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Relocating back to Europe from SE Asia, having my first night back home in a "proper" hotel seemed a good idea.

I'd just spent the previous ten days at The Peninsula in Bangkok, but even their attention to detail and service paled in comparison to the Dorchester experience.

I won't bang on with hyperbole over the service, food, facilities and so on. The bottom line is they provided a warm welcome in London where you are made to feel at home - which after all is what hospitality is all about.

Perfect.

Room Tip: View over park
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Went to the Dorchester last night for a drink in the bar which is straight ahead of you as you walk in the front entrance. I was really disappointed to find the bar staff to be surly, unfriendly and didn't once raise a smile. We were not offered a drinks menu, we had to ask for it and it was practically thrown at me. My partner order me a Spicy Margarita and the barman did not ask what my partner wanted just assumed he was having the same. Which he was not. I do not understand why they had to be so unfriendly especially as the price we paid for 2 drinks with £40!!! I was however impressed with the pianist and his band members as they were ever so friendly and even played a song dedicated to me, which was really sweet. Shame the bar staff were not the same. So we then headed off the The Grosvenor Hotel which was a welcome change as we were immediately welcomed by there staff and made to feel wanted.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Lucyb1076,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback of your recent visit at The Promenade Bar at The Dorchester. I am sorry to read that your experience did not live up to your expectations and I would very much like to discuss this with you further, as all feedback we receive is of great value to us. Please can I kindly ask that you contact me directly at the hotel?

Kind regards,
Stephane Lafon, Director of Food and Beverage, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

A great place to stay while in London. Conveniently located and top notch in every way. The room I had was extraordinary for its size and attention to detail, as each is valuable in London. I'm from Texas, so I love my Dunkin Donuts coffee, but I can always dilute the coffee served in most English places. ;-) Highly recommend the Dorchester while in London.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear WorldTraveler55711,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. I hope that you were able to experience all that we have to offer over the festive season and it will be a pleasure to share your comments with the team. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay with us.

Kind regards,
John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The nice thing about this hotel is the team that work here...all are helpful and smiling, and young and enthusiastic. This is great, a lot less stuffy and formal than I expected, pretty much all the time. Food is great, breakfast very good, a little quiet in the morning and a bit doctors waiting room ish, could do with some background music or something. Anyway, the issue is the value for money in space. I booked a suite and compared to what else you can get in central London found it to be very compact, too much so. There was no view, just a brick wall opposite. It is quiet and dark at night which is good though for the area. A couple of touches I am used to were missing, no DVD player in the room and no tea/coffee facilities which I found odd. When we asked for a DVD player we were told it was an additional GBP 30 per day! So, yes, it is very nice, oldy worldy and an experience. Unlikely one I would repeat as there are just so many options in London, especially if you want a suite with some space.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Dustyisntit,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay at The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoy the service and the dining, particularly our breakfast. All feedback we receive is of great value to us and I am sorry to read that your full experience did not live up to your expectations. I would very much like to discuss your experience further if you could kindly contact me here directly at the hotel.

Been to The Dorchester? Share your experiences!