“Still a top place to stay but breakfast was a little chaotic” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Escape from £355
Ranked #46 of 1,075 hotels in London
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Still a top place to stay but breakfast was a little chaotic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We love staying at the dorchester and always enjoy our overnight stay at the beginning of December when we go to London for Christmas shopping. As ever the room and staff were great.
However, arriving for breakfast at around 10.00am on Sunday morning we found people having to queue and we were being told of a wait time of 30-40 minutes. The two girls behind the lecturn were getting a little flustered as people were getting angry and walking away. I accept that there are only so many seats and tables but the staff must have had some idea as to when people turn up for breakfast plus, it's the Dorchester and we're are paying good money for great service. Things seemed to improve a little when management arrived, but by then the damage had been done. Our actual wait was still around 20 minutes. It won't stop us visiting again but you don't expect this sort of issue at London's best.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Peter C,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay at The Dorchester and I am delighted to read that you chose to stay with us prior to your Christmas Shopping. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the room and service but I am disappointed to read about the wait for breakfast in The Promenade. All feedback is of value to us and I can assure you that we will address your concerns and I look forward to welcoming you back personally when you next return.

872 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Newcastle, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I decided to take my mum to The Dorchester for 3 nights for her birthday. We were treated like royalty from before we even arrived. I emailed ahead to explain the purpose of our visit, and they ensured that notes were added to our booking. To our surprise we were upgraded on arrival. On a side note, Rod Stewart was standing in the lobby! When we arrived to our very spacious room, there was a lovely Birthday Cake on display, with a huge fruit bowl, box of chocolates, and a letter from the manager welcoming us to the hotel. What a great start to our trip. I made a reservation at China Tang, the in-house chinese restaurant. It was probably the best Chinese restaurant we have ever dined at. The quality of the meat was superb. I'd highly recommend it. We used the bar a few times during our stay. Sat next to Chris Eubank and Matt Goss. Another lovely experience for my mum! Breakfast was probably the best thing about our stay. The amount/quality was second to none, and the service was very attentive. I will return as soon as possible.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear CraigNewcastle,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such kind feedback of your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am delighted to read that you chose us to celebrate your mother’s birthday with us and how welcomed you felt during your stay. It will be a pleasure to share your feedback with China Tang and the rest of the team and I hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back soon again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Having gone to London for a random day out, our car decided to misbehave, so knowing we were unable to get home (2hrs away) we checked into the Dorchester....we were not dressed to the nines, and probably looked a little dishevelled, yet the staff couldn't have been more helpful, friendly and accomodating, upgrading us to a wonderful suite with a jacuzzi bath, lounge and dining room! We've stayed in many hotels, but will now go out of our way to stay here! The front of house staff were fantastic.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Instructdrive,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your recent stay at The Dorchester and I am delighted to read that we were able to accommodate following your car troubles. It will be a pleasure to share your review with the team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

I agree it has the history and great location but i don't think the service no longer befits the definition of a luxury hotel. I woke up in the morning to find that there is no toothbrush and no toothpaste available in our room. For the amount that they charge you would think that they can afford a toothpaste right? I then called up room service to send me one, waited hour and no one showed up. Now the worst part is that this place has I think most neglected security service. What I lost was an insignificant and perhaps a trivial stuff. Oh well, so what someone else wanted it. Not jewelry and not cash money. After checking out I called back the hotel to request them to look for the item I lost. I informed them that I either left it in the hotel room or someone just snatched it while it was under storage with concierge. The security personel promised to call me back. It's been two days now and I haven't even received an apology call. It doesn't matter what I lost but it's lack of attention and negligence that really bothered me. For fellow travellers, not worth staying. The hotel has become somewhat lackluster in service and attention.

Dear Tuyashka,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. I have been able to go over the details with our security staff and I am sorry that your stay did not live up to your expectations. Please can I politely ask that you contact me directly here at the hotel?
Kind regards, John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Revisited The Dorchester Nov.18-28. The festive season was in full swing and the hotel decorations were terrific - especially in the Promenade. As always, the service was perfect - with special mention to the breakfast, bar, and housekeeping staff. But more important was the feeling that the folks know this is my London home away from home - from the minute I arrive, it's like stepping through my front door. Thanks to all - and have a wonderful Christmas!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear phildiver1,
Many thanks for taking the time leave such kind feedback on your recent visit to The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay and how much you like our Christmas decorations in The Promenade. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and I look forward to welcoming you back here on your next visit.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

I have just returned from a three-night stay at The Dorchester and found the hotel, whilst undoubtedly very good, fell short of expectations.

Let me begin by saying that the staff were all excellent. Everybody we dealt with was polite, professional and friendly. My girlfriend and I were usually greeted by name and room service was always quick and courteous.

My main gripe is the blatant avarice of the hotel's owners. Now, I know that other top flight hotels adopt similar practices but there are much more affordable places to stay which offer such facilities as full satellite television (The Dorchester offers a very limited selection of channels), complimentary wifi (£19.50 per day here) and a complimentary minibar (£3.50 for a packet of crisps, when I've just paid £450 for the room? Really?) as a matter of course.

Further to this, the room service menu states that a delivery charge of four pounds would be added to each order. I assume that this surcharge doesn't reach the waiter, who is probably on not much more than the national minimum wage, so it is most rapacious of the hotel's owners to exploit customers in this way. I'd rather not have to pay a delivery charge and tip the waiter in cash.

At least they notify you in advance that you'll be charged for room service. At check-in, the hotel informed me that as well as the total cost of the room, they would be taking an up-front fee of £200 per night to cover room service and other charges. I would have had no objection had I been forewarned of this, but no mention of this policy was made at any point during the reservation process.

As far as the hotel is concerned, the public areas are all of a high standard and The Promenade Bar, in particular, stands out. All food and drink was of a high standard but our room, whilst spacious and with a beautifully appointed bathroom, had a few minor flaws, ill becoming of such a prestigious property: not one of the lampshades in our room was correctly aligned; the docking station for iPods was so worn that it would only play if the device was physically held in place; there was dust on one of the bathroom shelves; the television wasn't correctly formatted, so that widescreen broadcasts reached beyond the parameters of the screen; the fruit bowl wasn't replenished on a daily basis.

Overall, I'd say that The Dorchester is a fairly average five-star hotel and doubt that I'll be going back there.

• Stayed November 2012
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear SprinterSacre,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback of your recent stay at The Dorchester and I am sorry to read that aspects of your visit did not live up to your expectations. I would very much like to discuss this with you further so can I kindly ask that you contact me directly at the hotel.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This hotel is superb in every way. The service is attentive and helpful while allowing a high degree of privacy without incessant interruptions. The staff is wonderful. Our room is large and traditionally furnished in understated elegance. The hotel has a lively chic international clientele. The food is very good. Reception was efficient, elevators quick, bath water very hot and fast, room service delivery less than 30 minutes, wall outlets convenient for charging phones, room lighting varied and abundant....really am enjoying my stay!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Nancy H,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and how much you liked all aspects of the hotel including the food, rooms and service. Once again, thank you.

Been to The Dorchester? Share your experiences!