“2nd wedding anniversary treat” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Winter 3 for 2
Ranked #45 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“2nd wedding anniversary treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

My husband and I were married in the Dorchester in 2009 and choose to spend each anniversary back at the hotel. We took advantage of the Easter offer and stayed for one night over the bank holiday weekend. The doorman was helpful and friendly and offered to see if our room was ready early but as we had breakfast booked elsewhere we decided to check in that afternoon. We were checked in by a friendly guy at reception who welcomed us back and took us to a lovely room with a park view where the team had layed on champagne and strawberries for us to celebrate. We had a wonderful cocktail in the bar and breakfast in the promenade where the staff made us feel very special and welcome. Great treat for a special occassion.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Honolulu, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Having stayed at other Dorchester Collection Hotels in the past (such as the Beverly Hills Hotel), we were very excited about staying at the Dorchester in London as this was our first trip to the UK and this hotel boasts on it's web site that it "embodies the highest service values". I beg to differ! Upon arriving after 20 plus hours of traveling from Hawaii, we were told by a very young looking Eric (at reception) that our room was not ready. This surprised us, as we were not asking to check-in early (it was already about 3PM in the afternoon London time) and we saw other VIP travelers being checked-in (I will drop a name here...Jane Seymour the actress). We were not even offered a complimentary drink at the bar or a room to freshen up in, as other hotels of this 5 star standard usually do when your room is not ready. So trying not to be "Ugly Americans" (even though we felt the need to shower and very jet lagged) we said nothing and took about a 1 hour walk in nearby Hyde Park. When we returned, fully expecting to be checked-in, we were again told that our room was not ready. Being totally exhausted at this point, we sat in the beautiful lobby and promptly fell asleep. Sometime later, we were woken up, escorted up to our room and dumped. The room was nice (not great) and the bathroom exquisite but the damage was already done, being that first impressions are everything. We were not even offered an apology of any type for any of our inconvenience. I think if the management of the Dorchester is going to let teenagers drive the Rolls- Royce of hotels, so to speak, they should at least give them a few driving lessons first. We found London to be a one of the most wonderful cities that we have ever visited....so don't stay here if you truly want to experience the true warmth and hospitality of this great city and her people.

Room Tip: Talk to the management!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, May 4, 2011
Dear Guest,
I thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay at The Dorchester.
I was extremely concerned to read of your disappointing stay with us and I apologise most sincerely for the inconvenience you were undoubtedly caused upon arrival.
I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further, please contact me directly here at the hotel.
I do hope that we are able to restore your faith in The Dorchester and I that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

We stayed recently for some well deserved R&R and overall we had a great time, we took advantage of the spa for a massage and dined one evening at Alain Ducasse both of which were excellent. All staff were courteous and unfailingly polite.

2 things meant that my praise is not unreserved - irrespective of what I am paying for a room I would like to have the facility to make myself a tea or a coffee and not have to order it through room service.

Also breakfast was very nice and waitered service with no notepad is very impressive but on both days the staff got our order wrong, not a major problem but with 12% service charge I'd expect better.

Minor quibbles though as I say overall it was great

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, April 28, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay with us.
I was pleased to read that overall you had a great stay and I will certainly be passing on your kind comments to both the Spa and Alain Ducasse teams.
I was however concerned to hear of your disappointment with regards to the delivery of your Room Service orders, I can assure you that I will be personally following up with the team and I apologise for the inconvenience caused.
I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the near future.
Renaud Gregoire
Director of Food and Beverage
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Have stayed at the Dorchester a few times usually in a suite but this time in a single room as it was a quick business visit.
Everything is perfect here, the staff are certainly very professional and can't do enough for you. Everything is of the highest standard as you would expect for the price you pay.
My only negative comment would be that we couldn't get a drink after getting back to the hotel at 1.30-2PM. It would have been nice to finish off the night in the bar & when I asked about it I was simply told it was shut.
Nevermind-it wouldn't stop me going there again!

• Stayed April 2011
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

On the West End, a good location for tourists. The price is a little high, but this is London. Rooms better than others in the UK. Service is excellent.

Room Tip: Use their services for show tickets
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on The Dorchester. I must agree, the location of The Dorchester is ideal for anyone visiting central London and is convenient to all means of public transportation for those venturing further.
I’m very happy that you were pleased with our service; I will pass along your compliments to the team.
We hope to see you again soon at The Dorchester.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I've stayed a numerous amount of times, sometimes just for a break, other times for special occasions. All the other reviewers comments are correct, wonderful place, staff in all areas tend to be very customer focused and make an effort to make your stay perfect from check-in to housekeeping to restaurant teams. A special note is Hadi in the reception team, I only stay sporadically in the hotel on and off and yet he's always made me welcome and always made me feel at home and if he's on duty, the first to say "Welcome back! Nice to see you again".

Rooms large by London standards, a bit twee some of the rooms decor, bathtubs are lovely and deep and beds are very comfortable. Their SPA is GORGEOUS and lovely way to pass an afternoon very quickly. Afternoon tea was average but Grill was nice.

One niggling thing that has occurred a few times in my stay, there is one area/wing of the hotel where the air-conditioning struggles to perform in the rooms there during summer. If I get rooms in that wing, always the air-conditioning doesn't work and I lose a night's worth of sleep as it's very warm because I think that side of the building gets the full blast of the afternoon heat on a hot day and it's doesn't cool down by night. Often when you walk out of your room, you find the corridors cooler.

I've made that known to the reception team upon check-out each time it's happened and they always say they will follow up and invariably I find that the next time, I'm re-allocated back to that wing and I get hit by the same problem. I think I have to start tracking what room numbers I find this problem in and ensure that I'm not stuck in that wing. It's just hard that I have to recall that each time and I'm surprised no one else has raised this compliant especially in summer.

On the last time in March when I stayed, I had to change rooms late at night (around 1am) as it was unbearably warm and the lady (Oriental, I didn't catch her name) who come to attend to me from the front desk was so apologetic and helpful and even moved my heavy suitcase by herself without waiting to call for the concierge. She was also unwilling to take a tip from me saying she was sorry I had to move rooms so late at night. So I have to say kudos to the team for their service and customer focus......just sort out that air-conditioning or else avoid putting me in those rooms.......I'm very sensitive to heat.:-)

Room Tip: Lovely deep bathtubs or spend day in spa
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments, I am delighted to hear about your visits to The Dorchester and very proud that our staff have made an impression on you. I will certainly be passing along your praise to the team, especially Haddi from our Front Desk team.
I apologise for the inconvenience that you have experienced with regards to the air conditioning. I can assure you that our engineering team will be following up on your comments made to resolve the issue as we move into the warm summer months.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. Please do contact me directly and allow me to look after you on your next visit to London.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for 1 night as a birthday celebration. Got a £660 room for £360 on Booking.com. We were upgraded on arrival. First class reception service. Room was lovely with lots of attention to detail. Breakfast was lovely - room service was a nice treat (£35 pp). A wonderful experience.

• Stayed April 2011
Dear Guest,
I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your birthday visit to The Dorchester. I am honoured that you chose to spend your birthday with us and thrilled that we helped make it a happy celebration.
We hope to welcome you back to The Dorchester again in the near future.
Executive Assistant Manager, Rooms

Been to The Dorchester? Share your experiences!