“Elegant hotel/ Superb location/ Top notch service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Capital Hotel

You added The Capital Hotel to your Saves list
The Capital Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 - 24 Basil Street | Knightsbridge, London SW3 1AT , England (Knightsbridge / South Kensington)   |
Ranked #69 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Richmond, Virginia
“Elegant hotel/ Superb location/ Top notch service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

This hotel is an excellent choice for those wanting a central London location for their vacation. It is a small boutique hotel on a quiet street close to Harrods and Hyde park. We had a suite and a double room and both were tastefully furnished and a very reasonable size. The bathrooms were very generous and well appointed. The hotel has a small bar and a restaurant both of which are excellent in all respects. We were well treated and they were genuinely interested in making sure our visit was pleasant. The desk staff, the concierge and bell staff were able to assist with all of our questions and requests. There were very few children and the majority of clients were either business or couples without children. If you are traveling with children – this quiet elegant hotel may not be the best match for them. The staff was very nice to the children I did see – but this hotel may be too small and quiet for them. This hotel is expensive and you get service that matches this. I would stay here in the future if traveling again with my sister or husband. I would choose another hotel if traveling with my 12 yr old son.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
thecapitalhotel, General Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Thank you so much for your feedback. It is lovely to hear that you liked the style of the hotel and I am so pleased that the team looked after you well during your stay. While we understand that many people see us as an oasis from the everyday excitement of family life we do love having children to stay and during school holidays we welcome many families. I hope that we will be welcoming you back to the Capital and please contact me directly as I would be happy to make your reservation for you.
Kind regards
Kate Levin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

My wife, who has an uneasy relationship with computers, believed that she had made an internet booking at The Levin Hotel in Knightsbridge. When we arrived at 8.30pm, however, a polite, patient young man called Graham, explained that the online agency had not confirmed the booking. It was our fault for failing to check the email the previous evening but even so, he set about trying to find a room for us in another hotel on a budget we specified.
It was, however, Wimbledon week and everywhere decent was full. The sister hotel next door, The Capital, had a junior suite, he said, so we took that. It was more than I had planned to pay but it was worth every penny. We were going to a garden party at Buckingham Palace the next day and we were treated like royalty at this hotel. The room was superb in every detail, the breakfast ranks with the best we have had and the bar and concierge staff offered the sort of polished but unstarchy service that we thought had vanished with the march of corporatism. After the garden party, we returned to the hotel for a bottle of Champagne. We were welcomed like old friends. Our next stay in London will be at The Levin or The Capital.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback we were all very pleased to be able to look after you especially as you were in London for such a special event. I am sure that you have very happy memories of your day at the Palace and I am delighted that in some way we played our part. I very much hope that we will be welcoming you back soon, please contact me directly as I would be delighted to assist in any way I can.

Kind regards
Kate Levin
Orlando, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I made a reservation at The Capital three months in advance of my stay in London. Three days before I was to arrive, I received a phone call from the hotel informing me that they would be unable to honor my reservation, as the hotel was completely booked with other guests. I was extremely disappointed, as I had booked The Capital for sentimental reasons...my husband and I had been staying here when he proposed many years ago. This would have been my third visit to the hotel and I have also paid for my parents to stay there on other occasions. In all my years of extensive travel, I have never had this happen to me and is certainly not what one expects from a purported 5 star property.

They booked me in a nearby hotel that was nice, but that wasn't really the point.

Incidentally, a few years ago I had a reservation at The Capital and was unable to make the trip because my flight was cancelled. There was no understanding of my situation on the part of The Capital and they insisted on charging me for the first night of the reserved stay.
So apparently they can cancel your reservation, but if you have a problem, expect to pay.
I also had lunch at their sister property, the Levin, and I found the staff to be extremely haughty and unfriendly.

It appears to me that something is missing in the way this hotel is being managed. I would recommend looking elsewhere for your 5 star experience. You simply annotate count on The Capital.

I

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
thecapitalhotel, General Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
As a family run hotel we pride ourselves on personal service and individual attention to detail and I sincerely apologize for falling short in your expectations. We have let ourselves down on this occasion.

I would be delighted to personally handle any future request should you wish to return, especially as I am now aware of your sentimental reason for choosing The Capital.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011 via mobile

i was in capital hotel for afternoon tea last sunday and i had wonderful time with friendly mongolian chap who helped me to choose the tea (bohea) and kindly brought for me vegetarian sandwiches as well as extra warm scones i do appreciete the service which they provide to the guest. next time when i come to london definitely stay at Capital hotel and absolutely bring my friends for afternoon tea

• Stayed June 2011
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Hy husband and I stayed at the Capital hotel during a recent trip to London. The location was great for shopping - Harrods and Harvey Nichs are both right next door to the hotel, and the tube is a minute's walk away. Knightsbridge is right on the Piccadilly line, so you can save money and time and get the tube from Heathrow directly to the hotel.

The hotel itself is very charming and nicely furnished. The room was a good size (for London) and decor was great.

My only complaint would be that I found the hotel noisy! We could hear everything from the hallway right into our room, and therefore didn't sleep very well. There were people smoking in the hall outside the room at night, setting off the fire alarm, and waking up everyone. The doors were thin and there was a huge gap at the bottom of them, and therefore our room really smelled of smoke. We were also woken up early in the morning as soon as people started getting up around the hotel again because the room wasn't very sound-proof. Such a shame because other than this, we had a great time!

Service was friendly although we were pretty easy and didn't request any special help with anything. I would stay here again, and would recommend the hotel for others.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I took a friend over from Australia for afternoon tea on the weekend. Even though I'd booked online they seemed to have no recognition of my booking. We were put in a backroom with no windows.

It was very confusing as to what exactly we were paying for. We'd booked the Champagne tea but seeing as they had no acknowledgement of my booking we decided not to bother with the Champagne. The tea was just teabags in a tea pot - very disappointing compared to other hotels that have proper leaf tea and change the whole pot not just add extra water.

We didn't ask for extras, they weren't offered and we weren't sure they were included in the price. On the way out I discovered another lovely room with a bright window and only a couple people in it. Not sure why they made us sit in a dingy corner.

Certainly won't be going back. Will go back to other hotels where I've been before. Although I had a great time catching up with my friend the backroom of London was probably not the tourist/english event she was looking for.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Loved the location and staff here. Charming and very helpful. Room was a good size and felt very comfortable. Continental breakfast was very generous and delicious. Would go back again!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Capital Hotel? Share your experiences!