“Koffman's Restaurant is great - a pity about the Blue Bar!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Winter Welcome -from �390
Ranked #72 of 1,065 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Koffman's Restaurant is great - a pity about the Blue Bar!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

12 of us dined in Koffman's restaurant at the Berkeley Hotel and had an excellent meal, with impeccable service. We had booked for 11, but there was no problem at all with adding a 12th person at the last minute. The pre-theatre dinner offered very good value, and the whole experience was very satisfactory indeed. The ambience is also very good, modern but not jarring!
So why not an excellent rating? Because we found the Blue Bar as unwelcoming as Koffmans had been delightful. I'd called in the previous day to let them know there would be about 20 of us in the bar after dinner. They told me they didn't reserve seats (I accepted that) and to speak to the Assistant Manager before our dinner. When I tried to do so, they told me he was on holiday. After further discussion, mysteriously, he was no longer on holiday but would contact me during dinner (at Koffman's). I got a call - from home! - during the dinner, that the manager was telling me 20 was too many and they didn't want us! Yet they knew I was next door in their restaurant! When we went to the bar there was a lot of room, but they had in fact reserved us a few seats. Later they insisted on moving some of us unnecessarily. We meet monthly for dinner and drinks in similar hotels, but the prices here were ludicrously expensive (one member charged £40 for a glass of wine). I brought 12 for dinner, and 20 to buy drinks all evening, but apparently this is considered some sort of imposition. This was our only bad experience out of 28 hotels so, don't worry, Berkeley, it won't happen again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Laindon, Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

A classy hotel with friendly staff, who didn't make you feel uncomfortable. From the valet staff to thereception our first impressions were A1. Rooms were very luxurious and your every need was catered for. Staff in the bar were great, with a good sense of humour! Food was very tasty.
All in all a fantastic weekend was spent at this hotel. Would come again for sure.

Room Tip: We had a large room with desk and chaise, not a great view but why would I want to look outside with...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

This was another amazing hotel where we stayed and well worth a visit for a special occasion. Rooms and bathroom spotless and faultless. Could not find a thing wrong. Staff were kind and helpful in what was a busy hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Our family enjoyed a wonderful five night stay at The Berkeley Hotel over Easter. After shopping around, we couldn't beat their family package which offered a second (connecting) room for 50% off. When we arrived, the children had balloons and welcome gifts on their bed as well as fresh fruit and drinks (a bottle of champagne for the adults). We faced the interior of the hotel which didn't have the greatest view, but offered pure silence at night. Thanks to the dark drapes and utter quiet, we almost overslept for our first day of touring in London. The bathrooms and rooms were large and comfortable with all the typical amenities expected from a hotel of this caliber.

A special thanks to the concierge. Before we arrived, they arranged via email for all our dinner reservations in London - including high tea at the Goring. They also arranged for a last-minute car to drive our children to visit friends in the country. The doormen were wonderfully understanding of a mother's nervousness and reassured me that they only used the best car service and that my children would arrive safely and that I could call at any time during their trip.

Ate breakfast, an Easter brunch, and a late night after-theater snack in the Caramel Room - excellent service and very good food. I especially appreciated not having to sign for anything once they knew my name and room number. Husband and I also enjoyed late drinks at the Blue Room - great champagne cocktails and very comfortable atmosphere.

Last, but not least - we all loved the enormous chocolate Easter chickens (and peanut butter eggs) that were left in our rooms on Easter Sunday. They were quickly demolished and enjoyed by all.

We will definitely be staying at The Berkeley again whenever we are in London.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
sussex uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Have just been treated to afternoon tea at the pret-a-portea at the Berkeley Hotel and WOW! It was brilliant so different from the normal run of the mill teas. Designer cakes and biscuits were fabulous along with gorgeous savouries in shot glasses and individual spoons and with faultless service. We also liked the fact that they kept replenishing everything and when we eventually said we had had enough they put what we hadn't managed into a box to take home! Fantastic!!
If I had to pick one tiny little thing to not like it was that where most of the guests had dressed up -and that is requested by the hotel - some rather casual guests (in running gear) were still allowed in to have tea which we felt it rather let down the whole idea of it being a special occasion for most people.
But would certainly recommend a visit!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
sf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Just booked a very last minute 2 night stay at the Berkeley. While I was initially shown a room on the smoking floor, they quickly found me a non-smoking room. The room was beautiful, the staff was warm and friendly and I loved my last minute stay at a hotel with fabulous sheets, wonderful bathrooms and a lovely fruit welcome gift.

I also really love the swimming pool and the location next to Hyde Park. I walked everywhere.

It is my second stay and I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Get a room that does not overlook Wilton Place, but rather overlooks the church
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

This fantastic hotel is tucked away in Wilton Place in the centre of Knightsbridge, a short stroll from Harvey Nichols and Harrods, and is undoubtedly our favourite hotel in London. We had stroke of luck when we pulled up outside, there was a parking space right outside the hotel! On checking in we were shown to our suite, only to discover we had been put in the wrong category (a level DOWN from the booked one), so after a short trip back down to reception and a chat with the manager, we found ourselves upgraded to no less than the conservatory suite! WOW!! slightly speechless on entering the suite and walking through the conservatory out onto a HUGE terrace AMAZING!! It was so incredible that our planned night out after going to the theatre, turned into a night in..! The Blue Bar is a must if you can get in.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Berkeley? Share your experiences!