“I didn't feel welcome” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Lanesborough.

and 1 more site!
You added The Lanesborough. to your Saves list
The Lanesborough.
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hyde Park Corner, London SW1X 7TA, England   |
Ranked #133 of 1,066 Hotels in London
london
“I didn't feel welcome”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Found myself in the area at lunchtime and went in for a light lunch. No-one about apart from 3 guys in morning suit who I thought were guests at a wedding as one was sitting and they all were laughing and chatting. I went to the concierge desk, disturbing the guy behind the desk who was busy to ask if I could possibly have a drink and sandwich. He pointed opposite to what I found was the library and walking through the chatting guys one said "good morning" (rather forward I thought at the time"
Settled myself in and got my ipad out to catch up with emails and after a while looked round - yes other people were there eating and drinking in the really lovely room - but no staff in evidence. After 15 mins a couple of guys sitting behind me, went to the bar to ask if they could place an order and after another 5 mins, a waiter appeared to serve them. Seeing me sitting there - he asked on the way by 'do you want anything' - hmmmm. Eventually I got a drink and grilled tuna ceasar sald. Pleasant but no dressing, asked for some friench dressing and it was SO lemony it was inedible. Tuna was delicious though. Was left for some time (did want a coffee) and eventually went to ask for the bill. £30 - ouch not value for money for a mineral water and salad.
Upon leaving I asked the same man at the concierge desk where the ladies was - again I disturbed him and this time he was obviously annoyed that the same woman still couldn't find her way apart and gave me perfunctory directions to what were actually beautiful ladies loos,
As I left I realised the 3 chaps I'd seen on the way in were actually working in the restaurant - obviously having a break as I walked in
I left through the lovely doors - both doormen ignoring me as I opened the door myself; actaully didn't surprise me.
I give this 3 stars when really it should be 2, as the library was beautiful and loos sumptuous but oh no, would not return to have this type of service

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
LanesboroughTeam, Manager at The Lanesborough., responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your experience when visiting The Lanesborough. Part of our philosophy is to adhere to our guest’s every need and to exceed their expectations, clearly on this occasion we have failed to achieve this. Please contact me on acaujolle@lanesborough.com at your earliest convenience to discuss in detail.

Kindest regards,

F&B Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

The Lanesborough is by far one of the best hotel experiences we have had in our global travels. The staff took our name once we departed the cab, had us checked-in in minutes and off to our room to meet our personal butler. Room was absolute luxury as were the many extras that come with this hotel (e.g. calls, movies, pressing, etc). We enjoyed the bar at night (great drinks and piano music) as well as the cigar bar (great ambiance). This is a great "luxury" experience and if you are a SPG member, a great opportunity to visit a top-end property!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Upminster
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Have been to The Lanesborough a few times and always thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My son had bought afternoon tea for my mum, my husband and myself for Christmas, waste of time and money !!!! Staff were not very helpful or very friendly, my plate was taken and I hadn't finished, the same waiter had already bumped and knocked my arm several times not bothering to apologise, in fact we felt very unwelcome and couldn't wait to leave. However the lady in the cloackroom was very attentive, helpful and friendly, we left a nice tip for her, nothing for the waiters. I do appreciate The Lanesborough is closing for a year for a refurb and staff are obviously feeling 'low' I only hope they 'refurb ' the staff as their attitude could put people off returning, shame as this was one of our favourite haunts.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am very sorry that we have disappointed you on this occasion and would like to have the opportunity to make it up to you. If you wish to discuss this further please contact me directly at your earliest convenience on acaujolle@lanesborough.com .

Kind regards,

F&B Director
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed at the Lanesborough recently for the first time. Service was excellent and butler was attentive and happy to assist with anything. All requests were answered quite quickly. Rooms have the feel of staying in a grand residence. Hotel is beautiful, but dated. I heard the hotel is closing soon for a complete renovation. Only complaint is I found one of the concierges to be a bit stuffy, however I would certainly recommend the Lanesborough when it reopens. It's a true luxury hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Our family of four including a 13 and 15 year old stayed here for our first trip to London. I typically try to stay at the very best hotel available, especially when traveling to a place we may visit once or twice in our lifetime. We are typically not budget-conscious, but look for good value. We have stayed at some of the best hotels throughout the world, so have fairly high expectations.

My sister highly recommended this hotel, and I had some Starwood points to burn, so we booked a 5-night stay. Everyone says what a great location this is, and I could finally fully agree after touring London non-stop for five days. The tube station being out the front door, as well as the doorman's ability to secure the right kind of transportation quickly was especially helpful. Let's face it, expensive hotels can be stuffy; this one was not. The doorman one morning noticed my wife holding her camera, and he very patiently took some pictures for us (we did not have to ask), and took time to look each of my kids in the eye, and talk with them.

I was skeptical of the butler service as I had previously experienced (at another St. Regis) a butler that was spread a little thin. This time the butler was responsive and prompt, and helped us with some little things like getting a band-aid, pressing shirts (complimentary), and delivering tea and coffee. By the way, the British are as good at cream as the French are at butter! The rooms were traditional and very cozy. We did not have any problems or negative experiences at the hotel. The concierge staff was quite helpful, even when I would call them from outside of the hotel for an idea or a reservation.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone whose budget will allow for the expense.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Beautiful setting and hotel, lovely man who took our coats, delicious strawberries and champagne.
Strange having sweet things before savoury, strawberries and the sweet mousse, the warm cheese and onion tart was so good could have eaten another !

However on two occasions with two different waiters I had to stop my conversation as the waiters reached across my companion blocking my view to her to pour her tea, they should have gone behind her, the second occasion managing to spill the tea over the tablecloth.

We did enjoy the rest of our food, especially the lemon curd .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
LanesboroughTeam, Manager at The Lanesborough., responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am pleased you have enjoyed your experience with us and will most certainly take your comments regarding our waiting service and address them with the restaurant manager directly to assure this would not happen again. I look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards,
Food & Beverage Director
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I booked Afternoon Tea at The Lanesborough as a surprise for my best friend on a recent trip to London. She cannot eat gluten or dairy and I saw online that The Lanesborough offered a gluten and/or dairy free version if notice was given.

Firstly a review of my normal afternoon tea, the sandwiches and cakes were just delicious! There were three types of sponge cake and then three lighter patisserie and all were perfect. I was then brought a scone and tea cakes with jam, lemon curd and cream and again these were just superb. Don’t let the size of everything worry you, I did not feel leaving at all hungry and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Next my feedback based on my best friend’s findings. She was absolutely delighted, the bread was, in her words, no different from normal bread, the cakes were light and not at all dry or crumbly which you can often find with gluten free food. We did ask and they make the bread at the hotel, I think my friend was a little disappointed she wouldn’t be able to get her hands on any more! For the scone and tea cake she was brought her own pot of dairy free cream which again she just loved.

I had been worried it would be a let-down for her while watching me eat the normal version but she was absolutely delighted. If you or someone you know cannot eat gluten and/or dairy then afternoon tea at The Lanesborough will be a special treat.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
What a lovely review. I am so pleased to read through your comments and I will make sure share them with the rest of the team and especially our bread maker. Please remember, for next time, you can always ask for more portions. I look forward to welcome you back.
Warm regards,
Food & Beverage Director

Been to The Lanesborough.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Lanesborough.

Address: Hyde Park Corner, London SW1X 7TA, England
Location: United Kingdom > England > London
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites
#2 Best Value Hotel in London
#37 Spa Hotel in London
#103 Luxury Hotel in London
#122 Business Hotel in London
#135 Family Hotel in London
#198 Romantic Hotel in London
Hotel Class:5 star — The Lanesborough. 5*
The Lanesborough is ideally located in prestigious Knightsbridge overlooking Hyde Park featuring 95 guest rooms including 43 suites. Guests of The Lanesborough are received as honoured guests in a private home and cared for by personal butlers. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Despegar.com and Tingo so you can book your The Lanesborough. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
St Regis London
London St Regis
The Lanesborough. London, England

If you own or manage The Lanesborough., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.