“World Wide, my favorite place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars

The Lanesborough, a St. Regis Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hyde Park Corner, London SW1X 7TA, England   |
Ranked #124 of 1,073 hotels in London
Kapolei, Hawaii
“World Wide, my favorite place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

When I think about it, there is nothing about this hotel I would change. It is just the right size (about 95 rooms). Smaller and it would not have some of the fantastic amenities and public spaces (like its bar) that it has. Bigger and it would lose that sense of being in a British Lord’s house. Which at one point it was and at another a hospital. The location is the best. Hyde Park Corner. Easy to walk or tube to anywhere. I mentioned the bar. Fantastic place to just be for a light lunch or cocktails. The rooms look like they were from the 18th century but all the most modern of conveniences discreetly hid. And the best part is the staff. In that low key way which is so typical of high class Brittan, they take care of every need and with the discretion and style of those who tend the property across the street (Buckingham Palace). There is no doubt you are treated like reality here. If you are traveling with a bunch of kids and are on a budget, this may not be your cup of tea.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a park view or view of the Arch
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
LanesboroughTeam, Manager at The Lanesborough, a St. Regis Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to post this lovely review, which I will definitely share with the team. I hope to welcome you again, soon.

Warm Regards,
Michael Naylor-Leyland
House Manager

364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

The Lanesborough is an incredible building (just shows how good the NHS used to be) that's now an incredible hotel.
The sheer opulence is a wonder in itself especially at Christmas time. With trees & lights everywhere it's a very well turned out Hotel.
The staff (with one minor exception) were kind, friendly & helpful.
The food was all cooked to a high standard and most enjoyable.
This Hotel is in an unrivalled position in location and style and met all expectations.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
LanesboroughTeam, Manager at The Lanesborough, a St. Regis Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
Dear Guest,
It is with great pleasure I read your review on your latest experience with us. I surely hope your next visit will be outstanding without any exception. Meanwhile, please contact me if you wish to address the (minor exception) matter in private. I look forward to welcoming you back soon
Kind regards,
Michael Naylor-Leyland
House Manager
+44(0)207259 5599
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

I've had the opportunity and pleasure to stay in a lot of fine hotels and resorts over the years- and The Lanesborough was for sure one experience I'll not forget anytime soon- but really, do you need all the pomp to feel looked after?

I stayed here with a friend visiting for one night in London...and for one night's stay the room bill was £££+ and it wasn't anything extraordinary- (although the view was overlooking Wellington Arch). The staff were bend-over-backwards accommodating (until we requested the Rolls take us to town at 11pm...no driver on duty)...the Cigar Bar was fantastic and the staff there really knew their stuff. We spent a great percentage of our evening in The Library drinking extremely well-mixed martinis and cocktails, nibbling on olives and nuts, chatting to the waiters and generally watching the world go by. We had a fantastic recommendation for dinner at a local steakhouse (see other review) and another recommendation for bars, clubs and general nightlife venues.

While the room we had was clean, comfortable and what you would expect from a St Regis, it was small, slightly dated and worn- and I don't mean in a 'quaint' way. I can think of other places to spend that sort of money on that are a step up- but perhaps without the title, pomp and assumed grandeur.

The three meals we ate in the hotel were well worth the lunch menu prices but our breakfast bill was £34 for a coffee (filtered) and two croissants- both which would have been nicer down the road at Paul.

Everything here is premium- even airport transfers at +£80 the regular rate.

Yes, it's a St Regis...but the one in Houston was better albeit without all the London hype.

Room Tip: We were in room 810 I think- very small but nice view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I had been to the Lanesborough before for afternoon tea and loved it so much we went back again for my dad's birthday. I mentioned at the time of booking that it was his birthday and also that my mum was gluten and dairy free which they said was fine and that they provide different options for people with different eating requirements. I thought this was very good as not many afternoon tea places offer this. The hotel was as beautiful as always and as I had requested we were sat right next to the pianist who asked us if we had any special requests for him to play which was a lovely touch. The service is usually very slick and professional, however, on this occasion, they forgot to order the gluten and dairy free afternoon tea which takes 40 minutes to make (even though we did give the required 12 hours notice and it was on their system). They really did make up for it though as they gave us an extra glass of champagne each and an extra fruit platter so it didn't spoil things at all. They also brought out a special cake on a plate that had happy birthday written on it in chocolate which was also very thoughtful. Our waiter was very knowledgable and polite, he explained what each course was and when we requested extra sandwiches, it was not a problem at all. I would definitely go back again becuase even though they made a mistake, they made up for it really well.

One more thing to add, they welcomed well behaved children and one baby sat next to the pianist and he played the snowman and also twinkle twinkle little star whcih made it really special for that family.

Room Tip: We did not stay we just had afternoon tea
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest, How pleased I am to read this lovely review and for you to forgive our mistake… I will definitely pass on this message across and I surely hope to welcome you back to The Lanesborough soon.
Very Best Regards,
Food & Beverage Director
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Amazing hotel at the best location!The service exceptional, the rooms (suite) fantastic, the restaurant the best experience and the cigar bar beautiful!!!!
I highly recommend The Lanesborough!
My favourite hotel ever!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011 via mobile

From start to finish, everything about our stay at the Lanesborough surpassed all my expectations. The reception staff were very welcoming, and every member of staff we came across knew exactly all the details of my engagement plans. We were made to feel so special with the upgrade and champagne, and on top of that breakfast was phenomenal. Hopefully we'll be able to keep coming back time after time!

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Guest,
Congratulations! We are always delighted to take part in our guests’ special events and with great pleasure I read your review. I surely hope we will see you time after time.
Very best,
Food & Beverage Director
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

we booked for afternoon tea for the family including 9 month old baby for a special occasion and it was fabulous Service was spot on choice of tea was excellent important for me as tea is my thing Food was excellent and decor a joy especially the flowers Can't wait to do it again a real 5 star experience

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
LanesboroughTeam, Manager at The Lanesborough, a St. Regis Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2011
Dear Guest,
What a delightful review! Thank you for taking the time to post this, I am glad the team has lived up to your expectations, and we all look forward to welcoming you again, hopefully soon!

Kindest Regards,
F&B Director

Been to The Lanesborough, a St. Regis Hotel? Share your experiences!